• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lunch! What'd ya have? (2017)

blue_dolphin

IMG_0832.thumb.JPG.fd6e2e54dee663d2a6b017698af432cd.JPG

Maple–balsamic glazed mushrooms with bacon.  Adapted from Seriously Delish. 

• Like 9

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

3 hours ago, Anna N said:

IMG_0832.thumb.JPG.fd6e2e54dee663d2a6b017698af432cd.JPG

Maple–balsamic glazed mushrooms with bacon.  Adapted from Seriously Delish. 

Ooooohh. Were those as good as they look?

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

On 2017-02-07 at 1:59 PM, blue_dolphin said:

Host's note: this topic is broken into segments to improve server efficiency.  The previous segment is here.

This is the Baked Romanesco Broccoli With Mozzarella and Olives from the NY Times.  @kayb recently posted her cauliflower adaptation over here on the dinner thread where she declared the recipe a keeper and I agree.

I picked up a head of Romanesco broccoli at last week's farmers market for this purpose.  I didn't add any additional salt but with the olives, anchovies, capers and pecorino Romano cheese, it was plenty salty enough to perk up a few slices of chicken breast.

Edited to add that the other thing I did differently was to briefly microwave the broccoli (instead of blanching in salted water) then tossed it with the olive, anchovy, caper, red pepper, olive oil mixture instead of drizzling that over the top.

IMG_4430.jpg

IMG_4433.jpg

I didn't think humanly possible To perk up a few slices of chicken breast BUT you have managed to achieve it.  Well done.9_9

signed 'chicken breast hater'

• Haha 1

I had a duck carcase with some attached meat so made a stock with that and an onion and some ginger.

Strained it then stripped meat from carcase. Put stock through muslin to fully strain, then added the duck meat, chopped potato* and carrot, shiitake mushrooms and jujubes. Lots of white pepper for a kick. Served with home made soda bread. A meal soup.

*I have loved duck and potato together since I was served a duck hotpot which contained potato in a roadside shack in China some twenty years ago.

soup.thumb.jpg.79dea6bd394be796263135fb2fc41016.jpg

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

8 hours ago, kayb said:

Ooooohh. Were those as good as they look?

They were very good but before you even think about it make sure you have a baking dish that you can line  with foil or parchment or be prepared to spend some time cleaning the pan! 

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

Sous vide pork with squash.  Pork was a couple of end pieces from the loin that was cooked when we had people over.  While not pretty, these pieces were very tasty.  Pork loin was cooked at 137 degrees for 3 hours.

IMG_0025.thumb.JPG.c1def9f4bf8d6b60777ee2163d1f15be.JPG

• Like 6

IMG_0653.thumb.JPG.19379c78a7b20aa5538622fc37738a3b.JPG

Kat's Plate (includes Pulled Pork, Brisket, Sausage and Pork Ribs with a choice of three sides) at Kat's Barbeque, Santa Fe, TX

IMG_0654.thumb.JPG.01cbb8749f7beb055d9165f81522c0cf.JPG

PS: We have enough leftovers to carry us well into the middle of the week!

Edited by robirdstx
To add PS. (log)
  • Like 11

IMG_0858.thumb.JPG.9ee83a7a7ce90f6a62a37dd085e3accf.JPG

Doesn't look like much but it's two frozen eggrolls reheated in the Cuisinart Steam Oven (CSO) and they were almost as good as new.  When I finally get room in my freezer, my only item when I call

for Chinese takeout will be two dozen of these things!  

• Like 5

My 2004 eG Blog

20 minutes ago, lindag said:

Have you ever tried the egg rolls in Costo's frozen section?  They're very good.

Can't say as I have.  I wonder if they are the same in the Canadian Costco stores as you are getting. 

My 2004 eG Blog

Leftover Shakshuka with Golden Tomatoes & Goat Cheese from Melissa Clark's Dinner with some of the Nan-E-Barbari from Hot Bread Kitchen:

IMG_5887.thumb.jpg.ee9f7a63c77e2f4e02ca083e48d92093.jpg

I made the Shakshuka for breakfast yesterday and cooked the eggs in the mix of yellow peppers and tomatoes but wolfed down my portion before taking a photo to post.

For today's lunch, I warmed up the leftover vegetables, added some sautéed yellow summer squash and orange cherry tomatoes and fried the egg.

• Like 9
  • Delicious 1

Oh, man. Now you've got me wanting barbecue. And although GOOD 'cue is available four blocks from my house, I can't do it, because I have a dinner guest tonight and I'm grilling shrimp and I don't want to ruin my appetite.

I made do with a bowl of watermelon.

• Like 4

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

When I saw that we had no eggs, I decided to skip breakfast to stack the latest batch of firewood before the sun came over the house. I finished up just as the sun started to shine on me. Lunch had become an issue by that time. A kimchi and mortadella sandwich and a zucchini, cucumber, avocado, tomato, onion and pickled pepper salad with a few pickled pig ears for good measure. I almost had a beer, but decided to make a trip to Aldi for a few of the 46 cent per dozen fresh eggs and while making the sandwich realized we need Dijon mustard too.

IMG_0428.thumb.JPG.c16a3fdc7d6bd8ec3aa84e5c163e3ae3.JPGIMG_0427.thumb.JPG.fb8d1076e09ecb3738637947305abee4.JPG

BTW, I decided to call the nearest stack "January" and the one behind it,  "February".

HC

IMG_0423.thumb.JPG.dc2fa2c33650599f45b173bec995eb0d.JPG

• Like 9

2 hours ago, HungryChris said:

When I saw that we had no eggs, I decided to skip breakfast to stack the latest batch of firewood before the sun came over the house. I finished up just as the sun started to shine on me. Lunch had become an issue by that time. A kimchi and mortadella sandwich and a zucchini, cucumber, avocado, tomato, onion and pickled pepper salad with a few pickled pig ears for good measure. I almost had a beer, but decided to make a trip to Aldi for a few of the 46 cent per dozen fresh eggs and while making the sandwich realized we need Dijon mustard too.

O

BTW, I decided to call the nearest stack "January" and the one behind it,  "February".

HC

IMG_0423.thumb.JPG.dc2fa2c33650599f45b173bec995eb0d.JPG

That's some really nice looking firewood...looks like well dried oak.

• Like 1

Lunch was a BLT on deli Rye again, this time preceeded by a Bloody Mary.

oldest dog is in hospital recovering from ACL surgery yesterday...I needed a bolster.  She's supposed to come home tomorrow.

Edited by lindag (log)
  • Like 3