• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lunch! What'd ya have? (2017)

blue_dolphin

Chicken livers and onions.  The livers from a whole chicken I cut up this morning.  The onions were from last nights fish taco dish.  I recycle!

Finished in a pour of Tariquet Armagnac that flamed off. A small pour of a 20 yr Armagnac is making a nice after lunch digestif

IMG_0668.JPG

• Like 10

I had a hard time resisting those Matcha treats at the local Starbuck's, but I did and was rewarded:

Sushi in a small place next to our office in Roppongi Hills, Tokyo. Made in front of you and priced just below 20 USD. I just love that ...

WP_20170724_10_34_46_Pro.jpg

WP_20170724_14_09_41_Rich.jpg

• Like 14

A brat with sauerkraut, onions and ball park mustard. I tried my hand at fried okra. I found the crunch of corn meal too much of a distraction. I want crisp, but not a heavy crunch. Next time I will try the same method I use for zucchini, flour, egg wash, seasoned bread crumbs. I tried ketchup, it didn't help.

HC

IMG_0163.thumb.JPG.55ea3a34b9d7aabe84e968130536efe4.JPGIMG_0162.thumb.JPG.65af9f3de09bd2d8f96e8334c6f0da52.JPG

• Like 8

5 hours ago, HungryChris said:

A brat with sauerkraut, onions and ball park mustard. I tried my hand at fried okra. I found the crunch of corn meal too much of a distraction. I want crisp, but not a heavy crunch. Next time I will try the same method I use for zucchini, flour, egg wash, seasoned bread crumbs. I tried ketchup, it didn't help.

HC

IMG_0163.thumb.JPG.55ea3a34b9d7aabe84e968130536efe4.JPGIMG_0162.thumb.JPG.65af9f3de09bd2d8f96e8334c6f0da52.JPG

@Chris -- looks like it's a bit heavily breaded. To get what I consider the "proper" ratio of breading-to-okra, I cut it, let it "slime" in a bowl for 20 minutes, then shake in seasoned corn meal mix (I've found that works better than just corn meal). Looks like this (upper left):

5976736f1fb2b_sundaydinner0430.jpg.0d6d378897fe1da53346daea5429734f.jpg

I pan-fry in about 1/4 inch of vegetable oil on medium hot, in a single layer in the skillet.

• Like 3

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

Fish n Chips (with a difference).

fc2.thumb.jpg.87f3191d6e5d667f47cd274f5ef7a03c.jpg

Not the usual choice of fish. These are sold locally as 黄尾鱼 (huáng wěi yú) or "yellowtail fish", but I have no idea what they really are. According to the ever-reliable Wikipedia, many fish varieties are given this name - possibly on account of having yellow tails.

Whatever they are called, they are an oily fish, a bit larger than a large sardine and I like 'em. Here they are in a 28cm diameter plate. They are meaty and relatively bone free, in that the meat slides away from the backbone easily. I sometimes deep fry them, but today they were shallow fried.

597835313e2c4_yellowtailfish1.thumb.jpg.02ebbe37ffa579cec27c281f90c6bc45.jpg

• Like 12

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

I was a bit rushed today and did something I almost ever do. I was in the supermarket and was tempted by their so-called Peking Duck lunch. This is sold in two parts.

One plastic tray of sliced duck meat (a bit of everything - breast, neck and a leg) and a sachet of plum sauce.

Then a second pack pack containing the required pancakes, hoisin sauce and sliced green onion. Way over-priced, but...

Back home I removed most of the skin from the meat. It had all gone soft and flabby. Crisped it up in the microwave, then heated the meat and served to myself with the trappings.

It wasn't the worst I've ever eaten, but a long. long way from the best Peking duck ever, but that's another story.

20170728_124246.thumb.jpg.59ff83b3ef1e41bbfbf9ac28747d4689.jpg

The works

20170728_124252.thumb.jpg.50556c66306197e0929f59b7fd4078b7.jpg

The meat

20170728_124256.thumb.jpg.c5c7565f2adee632f202583e40c5527c.jpg

Skin

20170728_124308.thumb.jpg.e77c51ce6edfab5f45eefd632e8d1207.jpg

Onion

20170728_124301.thumb.jpg.2f19cd25f7bcd4f95de9c9174186302a.jpg

Pancakes, hoisin sauce and (far too sweet) plum sauce

• Like 8

It's 33 degrees and humid outside (91 F), I needed something cool.

Chlodnik - Cold beet soup with buttermilk, cucumbers, dill, spring onions, seeds of anise fennel and dill, pepper. Topped with soft boiled eggs and sour cream. Served with toasted dark rye.

20170723_204453.thumb.jpg.4a39fa03f5ec091eb509c39b35e43d9a.jpg20170723_204511.thumb.jpg.2a105a37288ae06dc0c147ac7a1f2009.jpg

• Like 11

~ Shai N.

Polish food because I'm in Krakow, Poland at the moment.

Soup. Poles love soups. I also.

hpmtzMH.jpg

dvHjzZF.jpg

Rice, groat and pork mince filling.

DnpbxPS.jpg

A plate of mixed pierogi (x2).

AR08RJO.jpg

Just a drink of strawberries, water and some sugar. They have no beer or anything like that at this place.

QzacjD5.jpg

My 8 euro lunch.

cE1FsXy.jpg

There are a few locations and this one is out of the way but near my lodging. Looks quite empty in this photo but it didn't last long. Polish customers kept coming in throughout. Menu is handwritten on paper posted high up on the wall.

vm7pWs0.jpg

Am only here a couple of days for the beer, no time for a history lesson. Maybe next time.

4tIRFve.jpg

Edited by BonVivant (log)
  • Like 13

5 minutes ago, BonVivant said:

Soup. Poles love soups. I also.

Me too. This was lunch today, "what's left in the veggie draw" sambar, with a dollop of cucumber dill raita and a vada (fried lentil donut) or two.

IMG_3855.thumb.JPG.207ae84bfbdb72ab9b8d808027961f76.JPG

• Like 10

noodles.thumb.jpg.92da8cf5f3689096a056cbdbfa5bc3e6.jpg

Beef, dried shiitake mushrooms (花菇) and baby bok choy (小白菜) with noodles in a soup made from a mushroom stock - the result of soaking mushrooms (today's and some from previous meals stored and in the freezer). Garlic, chilli and ginger as usual.

Two large bowls were consumed.

• Like 11

I can never remember to take a picture.  I need one of those cameras that uploads the photos to the computer over wifi rather than having to plug in the chip card.

Anyway, salad fix'ins from the garden and some sauteed pork that was left over from trimming up some chops for the freezer.  Nice and pink :-))

I have been making my own salad dressings ahead of time and using them up over the week.  But I found they got a little 'stale' so now I have taken to selecting one of many different oils we have from the fridge and one of the many different vinegars from the cupboard to make a fresh 'eye-balled' dressing.  Add some salt and whatever else tickles my fancy:  like some homemade onion powder; dried commercial pepper mixture; garlic scape salt, etc, etc,  Makes the salad fun.

Today we had a big protein rich breakfast at a friends so we had a light lunch of borscht and cucumber with some Japanese salt that the breakfast friend brought back from her recent trip to Japan.....'traditional Japanese herb'.  Interesting.

DSC02065.thumb.jpg.0c2bc3d99fb2da8ca6744f1c9dc23c10.jpg

• Like 7

2 hours ago, Okanagancook said:

... I have taken to selecting one of many different oils we have from the fridge and one of the many different vinegars from the cupboard to make a fresh 'eye-balled' dressing.  Add some salt and whatever else tickles my fancy:  like some homemade onion powder; dried commercial pepper mixture; garlic scape salt, etc, etc,  Makes the salad fun.

I went through a phase like that, then lapsed back into my beloved lemon vinaigrette.  While I was experimenting, I discovered that (for my tastes) walnut oil and balsamic dressing were downright magical.  How about you?  What favorite oil/vinegar combinations have you discovered? What might you do with a smoked oil?

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Whole wheat Portuguese roll and heirloom tomatoes from WF (one yellow/golden, one dark red/purple), avocado. Took some of the stuffing out of the bread, mooshed the avocado in each half, laid my slabs of tomatoes on top and hoovered it up. One of my local supermarkets had a net bag with 3 little avocados for $1.99 (Mexican) and they were perfect "single serving" size.

Produce is just outstanding right now, I bought some Rainier cherries and apricots also. That tomato was so good I may make a return trip after work (sale ends today) and repeat the lunch tomorrow!

• Like 4

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

On 7/31/2017 at 7:35 PM, Smithy said:

I went through a phase like that, then lapsed back into my beloved lemon vinaigrette.  While I was experimenting, I discovered that (for my tastes) walnut oil and balsamic dressing were downright magical.  How about you?  What favorite oil/vinegar combinations have you discovered? What might you do with a smoked oil?

I'm not fond of the dark balsamic vinegar on leafy greens but I do like it on tomatoes and cucumber.  The white balsamic I have is very nice with walnut oil or the pumpkin seed oil my brother brought me back from Austria, I think it was.  Very dark green.  I like a little lemon oil, olive oil with white wine vinegar.  The classic red wine vinegar with shallots and olive oil along with a  pinch of onion powder.  Spanish sherry vinegar is nice and sharp and I stumbled upon some of it in a reduced version which is lovely just drizzled over the top of the salad greens dressed in a little oil. For cucumbers I like sesame oil with soy sauce and some chili oil and I think the smoked oil would go well with that.  The smoked oil would be good with lemon juice over tomatoes or grilled romaine.  Just a few combos I have been using.

Edited by Okanagancook
typos (log)
  • Like 3