• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lunch! What'd ya have? (2017)

blue_dolphin

A somewhat orange lunch, but not bad for what I could catfish out of the fridge.

Jail slaw, cucumber salad, Carolina gold tomatoes with cottage cheese, salt and pepper. Bowl of canteloupe for dessert. Good stuff.

lunch 0630.jpg

• Like 7

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

2 hours ago, scubadoo97 said:

Had the prix fixe menu today at Blackbird in Chicago today.  I had the warm shrimp salad followed by wood grilled sturgeon. The fish was really good

I used to serve grilled sturgeon at my restaurant. The river here has a healthy wild population of Atlantic shortnosed sturgeon, and a couple of local entrepreneurs captured breeding stock from the river and farmed them. The primary goal was caviar, but sturgeon comes as a side product of that. 

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

Sturgeon is nice. They eat it in eastern Europe and in the Baltic countries.

Had it in Tallinn (SV then torch-seared). Some supermarkets also sell the fish. Not sure which species is in the photo.

plsXV7j.jpg

At "Restoran Ö" in Tallinn. Speaking of which, I had a nice meal there. Maybe I "should" post photos of it someday.

nDdDhWC.jpg

• Like 10

Linner?   Dunch?   Tried a new place nearby in Wharton NJ called Pop's Chicken..... pieces of fried chicken,  sides(potatoes au gratin and coleslaw), and a piece of cornbread.

Chicken was crunchy and salty, one of the best slaws I have had that was creamy yet had a great tang.   Potatoes - eh.... cornbread too sweet.  Also stopped at a local place and picked up some south Jersey corn I microwaved and scarfed down.  Yellow peaches weren't quite ready so they are finishing ripening in a paper bag.  I am full and reasonably happy........

• Like 3

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

Asparagus season has ended. I still have some left.

fma6PBD.jpg

I have eggs with 2 yolks this week.

dEjQ0KU.jpg

A cup of jewels.

ihLVMwH.jpg

And a plate full of them.

ftUCM7g.jpg

A day without cheese is unthinkable.

KLBs717.jpg

Super creamy unpasteurised Brie.

d3jKHpB.jpg

Edited by BonVivant (log)
  • Like 15

I have 40 quail eggs in the fridge to boil for pickled eggs and knockwurst, but a few of them may have to get pulled out for Scotch eggs. I do love 'em.

• Like 2

Don't ask. Eat it.

Tuna steak with local corn on a cob.  Not a usual combination but that's what I wanted today!  Salad made with local tomatoes.  Lovely Maryland bounty!

image.thumb.jpg.e7e7d1c0e8014305ea940df95d5814f5.jpg

tomatoes up close

image.thumb.jpg.87339c9f8df5093da489178822eb3d81.jpg

• Like 8

I made this last week as a test run for a holiday picnic and have had several lunches of it but didn't manage to post.  

Taleggio & spinach roulade from Ottolenghi's Plenty More

IMG_5716.thumb.jpg.e6f67e0ff8f9446726710e9b0a4d5c4e.jpg

I cut it into serving-size pieces and stashed it in the freezer.  This reheated nicely on steam-bake in the CSO. 

• Like 12

On 7/11/2017 at 1:46 PM, HungryChris said:

We tried the sushi at Bamboo on the NCL Dawn, on a recent cruise. It was gag me with a spoon horrid! Today I decided to refresh my memory with some good stuff.

HC

IMG_1394.thumb.JPG.0eb2079f7a4a4661e648d814bc960fef.JPG

IMG_1393.JPG

I don't even like sushi, but have been known to eat some good sashimi. I very much relate to being served a bad version of something that absolutely propels me toward making a better and more satisfying version of the dish at home. It happens every. single. time.

It's like I have a craving that was desecrated, and I must make it right. :)

• Like 1

> ^ . . ^ <

This lunch is last night's leftovers repurposed.

Pork with garlic, coriander seed, lemon juice, red chilli. Added sliced shallot and white chilli. Fried with rice and added the remains of an undressed lettuce, mint and tomato salad.

lunch1.thumb.jpg.b4a96f719025c0e40d2132c15177ac66.jpg

The white chilli certainly spiced it up, but after weeks with no zip in my victuals, it  went down a treat.

lunch2.thumb.jpg.056f56e8db369f8cb03572e30688c833.jpg

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 12

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

Am I the only one eating lunch?

Today, I made it to the local market and my seafood gal sold me these lively beauties. They were, as usual, live, but more energetic than normal.They even survived being carried back to my place in a plastic bag and an hour in the fridge. They were still twitching and jumping when they hit the wok. They had been well purged and not a drop of vein was detectable, so I did them shell on.

s1.thumb.jpg.48103a9cdb01905ffc5f8d6d1e6fa5eb.jpg

I wasn't sure what I was going to do with them, but in the end, I simply fried them. The looked so fat and juicy that I didn't think they needed much else. A sprinkling of lemon juice and a sea salt, pepper and chilli powder dip sufficed.

s2.thumb.jpg.d04bf29590b46d863c1585ca52b6cfd6.jpg

• Like 8

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

1 hour ago, liuzhou said:

Am I the only one eating lunch?

Perhaps not the only one but close.  I am out of my usual environment and therefore out of my routine. Breakfast tends to be much later than usual and when lunchtime rolls around I'm not hungry. 

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

20170714_122950.thumb.jpg.48f8f2eb500eaab8512485979b96bb46.jpg

What was going to be a pastrami and cheese sandwich, but I decided to forego the bread, sandwich the pastrami with cheese, and use the mustard as a dip.

With tomatoes, cottage cheese, some of this year's bread and butter pickles, and a bowl of watermelon chunks.

• Like 5

Don't ask. Eat it.

On 2/11/2017 at 5:46 PM, kayb said:

Y'all go ahead and shoot me, but I raised my kids on tuna noodle casserole. Cook egg noodles; can of drained tuna, can of cream of mushroom soup, handful of grated cheese out of the bag, 12-oz bag of frozen green peas. Stir it all up together, stick it in a casserole dish, bake until bubbly. It was far from wonderful, but it was certainly edible, and the kids loved it. And it was quick, which was a requirement when I was shuttling between band practice, softball practice and a volleyball game. 

I'd eat it today. If I were hungry, and it was all that was handy.