• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lunch! What'd ya have? (2017)

blue_dolphin

Birthday lunch celebration at a local restaurant today; the one I'd picked whose website said it was open for Sunday brunch was, in fact, not, so we crossed the street and went to another. I had crab cakes benedict, on a biscuit, and except for the preponderance of bell pepper in the crab cakes, it was quite excellent. Other chose chicken benedicts (what it sounds like, with a nicely breaded and fried chicken filet) and one with sausage, while the vegetarian in the group had a Florentine omelet. 

I had a couple of mimosas and I always find two leaves me wanting more. I had Prosecco, but no orange juice; however, I DID have pomegranate juice. So I am having a pomosa. Found it a bit too intense with just pom and champagne, so I added a bit of sparkling water. Worked.

I may have two or three more for dinner.

• Like 7

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

17 minutes ago, rotuts said:

@HungryChris  

thank's for reminding me

guess Ill have to motor up to Ipswich 

and go down the 

Rt. 133 trail for some Clams w bellies  

One of the first road trips Deb and I ever made was up to Woodman's, where the fried clam was supposedly first created and shortly after that, the Clam Box and then to Essex Seafood. Those are the hub of what we think of in good fried clams, but they all have their good and bad days and luck is always part of the trip. After that we started searching out places closer that could do it well, and today was a find. Many local places have been given the "wave-off".

I worked one summer in a seafood market and would deliver fresh fry clams to local places. The prices in July would vary wildly and sometimes I would almost get chased out of places because the price had shot up so much. They would buy them and freeze them to protect themselves and the product would suffer terribly. Fresh is always best.

@Shelby, the fried clam you want in KA is probably like the live crawfish I want here in CT.

We have a cruise out of NOLA scheduled for next spring and I will make sure I get my crawfish fix checked off there.

HC

• Like 1

Lunch part 2. Austrian theme continued.

"Potato cheese"

TmECATG.jpg

Liptauer is a cheese spread with paprika powder.

vO7GssU.jpg

Used Hungarian paprika I brought back from there last christmas.

8PZTBYB.jpg

Not your typical "pancakes". It's torn and the batter is different. And it's Austrian.

0Z6VzI8.jpg

Contains no baking powder. Beaten egg whites are responsible for the fluffiness. Always a kind of fruit compote alongside.

ezFULcJ.jpg

Austrians have different names for similar dishes or things. In Germany this is called "farmer's breakfast". One of the most typical meals in both countries.

HJZmfCJ.jpg

Want to learn a saying in German? "Without cheese, without Speck; life has no meaning." The cheese can be changed to bread or ham etc but Speck will remain. Speck is an important ingredient in this part of the world. Besides, the words Speck and "meaning" in the second line rhyme.

zOBkcId.jpg

This one is all mine. Butter from the sea.

Ja8rRvU.jpg

Two of my top spring elixirs in 1 photo.

Jop2Y2h.jpg

• Like 11

image.thumb.jpeg.868204aeecdadeae9a90d9ecd6812ae3.jpeg

Might be lunch. Might be dinner. Might serve as both.  If you have never considered cooking lettuce you have missed out.   It is also the perfect way to avoid waste because you can use lettuce that is not in prime condition. Grilled romaine, grilled radicchio are like very different vegetables than when raw.  This particular recipe called for iceberg lettuce but I think it worked perfectly well with romaine.  Asian cuisine it's much less reluctant to cook salads greens  then those of us raised in the Western tradition. 

• Like 6

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

14 hours ago, Anna N said:

Asian cuisine it's much less reluctant to cook salads greens  then those of us raised in the Western tradition. 

I'd say it goes beyond that. Not cooking any vegetable is considered perverse. The category of "salad vegetable" doesn't exist.

• Like 3

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

image.jpeg.87f4cccf7c453e29607ec506a55abe70.jpeg

• Like 6

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

1 hour ago, rotuts said:

@Anna N  

those mushrooms look superb

so what is dry-frying   ( I can guess )

and how do you get the colo(u)r  all around them w/o them giving up their jus and shriveling  ?

Thank you.  This time I put them in a dry cast-iron frypan (sometimes I use one of my Darto pans), all gill side down, fry them on fairly high heat, then turn them gill side up and keep doing this until I'm happy with the result. I know some people go much further so that they are devoid of any moisture but I like them like this. When I am satisfied with their color, I add about a tablespoon of butter to the pan, toss them about it a bit, season them with salt and pepper and serve them. 

• Like 6

My 2004 eG Blog

17 minutes ago, Anna N said:

Thank you.  This time I put them in a dry cast-iron frypan (sometimes I use one of my Darto pans), all gill side down, fry them on fairly high heat, then turn them gill side up and keep doing this until I'm happy with the result. I know some people go much further so that they are devoid of any moisture but I like them like this. When I am satisfied with their color, I add about a tablespoon of butter to the pan, toss them about it a bit, season them with salt and pepper and serve them. 

That's the way I like to cook my brown mushrooms...I think I first read about it from Jacques P.  I also add a little squeeze of lemon juice and a few drops of truffle oil to the melting butter.

• Like 1

On 6/26/2017 at 10:45 AM, BonVivant said:

Not your typical "pancakes". It's torn and the batter is different. And it's Austrian.

0Z6VzI8.jpg

Kaiserschmarrn happen to be on my menu this weekend as well :) Already got a few over ripe plums in the fridge waiting to be sauced.

• Like 2

~ Shai N.

30 minutes ago, Okanagancook said:

That's the way I like to cook my brown mushrooms...I think I first read about it from Jacques P.  I also add a little squeeze of lemon juice and a few drops of truffle oil to the melting butter.

The lemon juice I will go along with. In fact I intended to give them a squeeze this morning but the truffle oil - NAH. I am such a cheap date.

• Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog

Very late lunch:  Tagliatelle with walnuts & lemon from Ottolenghi's Plenty More.  Essentially the same as this online recipe for tagliolini with walnuts & lemon.

IMG_5646.thumb.jpg.f02822940f09dba1f8653636b77a4b05.jpg
Deviations: I used Trader Joe's lemon pepper pappardelle instead of tagliatelle and added some sugar snap peas and yellow bell pepper. 
I like the way the browned butter and sage work with the walnuts. It reminded me a little of the linguine all'amalfitana from Diana Henry's Simple, which I prefer because ... garlic, red chile and anchovies :x

• Like 10

5 hours ago, blue_dolphin said:

Very late lunch:  Tagliatelle with walnuts & lemon from Ottolenghi's Plenty More.

The Ottolenghi dishes have been looking fabulous!  I have the Plenty ebook (picked it up when it was available for $3.99) but haven't cooked from it yet.  Which book do you like more?

2 hours ago, SJMitch said:

The Ottolenghi dishes have been looking fabulous!  I have the Plenty ebook (picked it up when it was available for $3.99) but haven't cooked from it yet.  Which book do you like more?

Like you, I started this month owning Plenty. I bought it back in 2011 but had only cooked a handful of recipes. I have the other 4 Ottolenghi books on loan from the local library and have been enjoying all of them. 

Plenty and Plenty More are neck and neck as far as favorite recipes go at this point, which makes sense as they're both vegetarian and I don't cook a ton of meat.  Plenty seems to be the most plagued by measurement discrepancies where a few incorrect US measures replaced metric in the US editions (for example a 2 mm dough thickness converted to 1 inch).

Annoying but not terribly problematic if you pay attention.  The other books (at least the editions I have) have both sets of measurements.

I like the stories connected with the recipes in Jerusalem so that one would be my favorite to curl up with for some reading time. Ottolenghi has a nice little section on savory pastries and may have the best variety of recipe types - meat, fish, veg, breads, desserts.  I have a few meat or chicken dishes from each of those books on my list but haven't tried them.

NOPI is my least favorite so far. The recipes are sometimes unnecessarily fussy but, on the other hand,  I've also gotten some good ideas there and the cocktails have been fun. 

For another comparison, here's a link to a piece on Food52: How to Navigate Ottolenghi's Suite of Books

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

Like you, I started this month owning Plenty. I bought it back in 2011 but had only cooked a handful of recipes.

Ah cool!  I bought it in 2015, so don't feel so bad now haven't not used it yet.  :D

• Like 1

5 hours ago, SJMitch said:

I must add that @blue_dolphin's use of these books urged me back to them  and they do have some wonderful recipes which I have been enjoying.  

• Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog

Little bit of everything chef salad. Leftover steak, hearts of palm, pickled sweet peppers, tomatoes, avocado, marinated onions and mushrooms and fresh picked lettuce. It's all gotta go.Heading to Bermuda tomorrow!

HCIMG_1348.thumb.JPG.7c499f8d10a95c0fcf87cfc5504d8143.JPG

IMG_1349.JPG

Edited by HungryChris (log)
  • Like 7