• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lunch! What'd ya have? (2017)

blue_dolphin

image.jpeg.bce764b98c7714eae8ad47391c17c81c.jpeg

Patty from grocery store. Salad from Zahav

• Like 7

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

On 6/21/2017 at 0:57 AM, Thanks for the Crepes said:

I know! Food Lion is a low end grocer down here, and I shop there for the low prices, which even beat out WalMart (yuck) on market basket comparisons. They have a few things that are better than anything else I can find in town. The one that pops to mind are the petite frozen peas. They also carry regular peas like everyone else in town. I'm spoiled to the petite ones only they carry.

Nice looking turkey sandwich. Is the brand "Taste of Inspirations"? I love that brand of roast beef better than Boarhead, but haven't tried the peppered turkey.

Yep - Taste of Inspirations.  FL used to be where I shopped for non-fresh things - canned, packaged, etc.  But they are our nearest store and I started experimenting with different things.  I have found that they are on par with other stores here and superior in lots of ways: the deli is fantastic - their store brand ham (the Off the Bone one) is the best deli ham I can find.  For the past few years they have had the best stone fruit of any of our local stores.  And I can almost always find really good short ribs.  And they sell chicken 'paws' and beef rib bones for my stocks.  Doesn't hurt that the people in my particular store are all friendly and recognize me.  We now have a HUGE Kroger and an Aldi within sight of this FL and they are still going strong and my go-to store.  Publix is coming, though, so we'll see.

• Like 1

@HungryChris  

I can deeply see this .

Mayo-Ish is up to the Muncher  

no issue there 

of note :  the bread can't be too crunchy  

just saying

are those pickled mushrooms  et.al. ?

nice

please consider

the pickled or brined tomatoes from

http://www.batamptepickle.com/products.php

i love the 1/2 saur's

but in mi area , I can only get the ' green ones ' which taste to my like cucumber

I like the more faded items , with less pickle

enjoy !

28 minutes ago, rotuts said:

of note :  the bread can't be too crunchy  

just saying

are those pickled mushrooms  et.al. ?

nice

please consider

the pickled or brined tomatoes from

http://www.batamptepickle.com/products.php

i love the 1/2 saur's

but in mi area , I can only get the ' green ones ' which taste to my like cucumber

I like the more faded items , with less pickle

enjoy !

As to the bread, this particular one comes from Aldi in a big round loaf. I throw it in the freezer as soon as I get it home. When I toast it, it is still soft in the middle, which is how I like it.

The marinated mushrooms are something I make when the button mushrooms go on sale (usually at Aldi, as well).

I also make pickled green tomatoes in the fall and I still have quite a few. It is funny how they change over time, but I think the ones made in the fall hit their peak in the spring, so I usually do a sample every week or so to see how they are progressing.

HC

image.jpeg.b5bb1f53de584b74e3452f15dde2d5e9.jpeg

• Like 6

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

Jerusalem artichoke and Swiss chard tart from Ottolenghi,online here. The chard or other greens + feta are a natural but I never would have thought of putting Jerusalem artichokes into a tart like this.

IMG_5591.thumb.jpg.f3628e9c7cf6a8059f6e146a1790d524.jpg
My deviations from the recipe: I used beet greens instead of Swiss chard because I had them. I roasted the Jerusalem artichokes instead of boiling and used yogurt instead of crème fraîche. Finally, I had less feta than I thought so I added some goat cheddar and goat gouda to make up the difference.
I don't think those adjustments did any harm to the end result. It's rich enough that a slice and a salad make a nice meal.

• Like 5

@HungryChris, this is the brand of tuna from Costco that I mentioned. I bought some more today so we can have tuna sandwiches tomorrow for lunch. Again, this is the Canadian Costco so don't know about availability elsewhere. 

It was $10.99 CDN for a package of four 160 g tins, but I think they had it on sale last time for a couple of dollars less. 

IMG_20170623_124232.thumb.jpg.06f440f4fa11866f3dcd502626668250.jpg

IMG_20170623_124255.thumb.jpg.909f5743a8af73cc3480e00967669c50.jpg

IMG_20170623_124319.thumb.jpg.a5534ccb25823cbba55f73e270bd8658.jpg

Edited by FauxPas (log)
  • Like 2

image.jpeg.fded652840e434a187245394dfe3b962.jpeg

They look a heck of a lot more like hedgehogs than porcupines but then I'd lose my alliteration.  Had some leftover rice and some ground beef in the freezer that needed using up so tossed things together with a little of this a little of that. Pepper is either a cubanelle or a banana pepper. I can never tell the difference. Either way they are quite boring but not as objectionable as green bell peppers. 

• Like 9

My 2004 eG Blog

I saw Lydia Bastianich put fried zucchini on a sandwich some weeks back and needed no additional encouragement. SV'd chicken breast, fried zucchini and black seeded simpson lettuce, from the garden. It is my twist on a sandwich sold on a food truck that came to my building every day, years ago for a few months, while the kitchen was being renovated. He called it a spicy ranch chicken. It consisted of breaded, fried chicken breast that was put on a roll and slathered with spiced ranch dressing in front of you. I was quite fond of it.

IMG_2506.thumb.JPG.b9b17e0427bec669a8bdf9ba4f5dd835.JPGIMG_2507.thumb.JPG.41149f070446fc3e5836389beb44dd72.JPG

• Like 6

4 minutes ago, rotuts said:

@HungryChris  

nice sandwich  !

not so much the Zooooks for me

but well , to each their own

fortunately  no Green Bells !

how did the SV'd CkBr work for you ?

I thought it was perfectly moist and deli tender. I might try 142 F next time to see if I notice a difference. I also saw pork tenderloins on sale for $1.99 pp today and the wheels are already spinning.

HC

with the PorkTenderloins :

if there is facia , remove it

try 130.1   F  for a bit

as it already very tender

add seasoning to suit you.  not too much salt, you can add that later

chill and cut very thin

best ever id say

• Like 1

Re: fried zucchini on the sandwich -- blt's down here often have fried green tomatoes added. That, with a slathering of pimiento cheese, makes possibly the best sandwich ever made.

Lettuce optional.

• Like 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

14 minutes ago, kayb said:

Re: fried zucchini on the sandwich -- blt's down here often have fried green tomatoes added. That, with a slathering of pimiento cheese, makes possibly the best sandwich ever made.

Lettuce optional.

I have made fried green tomatoes for years without really knowing what I was doing, and they were ok. Then we had the breaded version at Superior Seafood on St. Charles Ave in NOLA. They were topped with a bit of crab meat and at the same time I had my first taste of Crystal hot sauce and my eyes were opened as if I had been sleepwalking for years. Given the choice, I would go for FGT any day of the week. While I have heard about, read about and thought about pimento cheese, I have never had it or seen it on any menu. There seem to be many versions, but I have yet to taste a one.

HC 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, HungryChris said:

I have made fried green tomatoes for years without really knowing what I was doing, and they were ok. Then we had the breaded version at Superior Seafood on St. Charles Ave in NOLA. They were topped with a bit of crab meat and at the same time I had my first taste of Crystal hot sauce and my eyes were opened as if I had been sleepwalking for years. Given the choice, I would go for FGT any day of the week. While I have heard about, read about and thought about pimento cheese, I have never had it or seen it on any menu. There seem to be many versions, but I have yet to taste a one.

HC 

Pimiento cheese is one of the several foodstuffs that make me so VERY grateful I'm a Southerner. Every Southern cook has his or her own recipe (the stuff in the tubs from the supermarket is nasty). I love it on crackers, dipped on corn chips, on a sandwich by itself, with bacon jam, on a blt, and I've used it to pimp up some grits, along the lines of Deep Run Roots.

If you want my recipe, I'll be happy to PM you. It's easy enough to make.

• Like 3

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

image.jpeg.d96f777ad16c959f76573abc952a1731.jpeg

Inspired by a Rozanne Gold 1-2-3 recipe.   My sumac is a little  past its prime.  Yes, that is all that I had for lunch. I like to remind myself that a balanced diet doesn't have to be balanced on a single plate.   

• Like 6

My 2004 eG Blog

10 minutes ago, rotuts said:

@Anna N 

very nice

I probably have a bag of sumac from Penzey's that

Ive long forgotten about  

Rats !

would a slight dusting work with SV ?

I don't know. I've always been very leery of using flavouring agents of any kind in the Sous Vide bag. I suspect this is a prejudice remaining from the very early days when it seems to me we were all warned  to be very careful doing it. Now I am seeing people are adding spices and herbs to the Sous Vide bag but so far I haven't taken the plunge. I can't see sumac or much else actually sticking to the meat in the confines of the bag. It would certainly not be a bad idea to try it after you pull it from the bag.  Dry it off, schmeer with just a little oil and then dredge it in sumac before searing.  I don't think you would want to burn the sumac so that may also present a bit of an issue.  

My 2004 eG Blog

personally

I think what's important is salt in the bag

esp. for long SV'd-ing

Ive lightly added two of my favorite

blends

Penzey's  Chicago Steak

and Sauer's Prim Rib 

to both meat  and CkBr's and Turley Br''s

to good effect in the final item

• Like 1

We used to joke about this place when we were kids. Corny name, and the view is of the Mystic river, a tidal estuary. Today on the way to Mystic to get some littleneck clams for dinner, Deb suggested we split an order of fried clams here.

image3.thumb.JPG.ce027e4907020259e71e3e19205668b4.JPG

From our table, in the distance, you can make out the tall ship masts of the whaling ship Charles W. Morgan at the Mystic Seaport Museum.

59501c0195dba_ViewofMysticSeaport.thumb.JPG.34cf9d9c3776bedd164221da5974df78.JPG

Here is another interesting sight we saw from our table.

59501c1e98171_PaddlerwithDog.thumb.JPG.1c8153eed4614832086564ae08afa3ee.JPG

The clams were by far the best we have had in years and well worth the price!

HC

HC59501c75dc878_FriedClams.thumb.JPG.38bd5f41edafa1d8a4a4bdf061344460.JPG

• Like 9

(First part of lunch)

Austrian spätzle with Speck. My lemon balm plants itself around the garden over the years.

JsOjScM.jpg

Savoury panna cotta, all goat's cheese based:

XWCY1Pn.jpg

zquPMAE.jpg

Another use for salt-cured yolks.

2X5jWUB.jpg

Chinese tea cups brought back from different places (Xiamen, Budapest, Taipei):

tdatRwB.jpg

• Like 7