• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lunch! What'd ya have? (2017)

blue_dolphin

Just got back from a three day work trip in the countryside with dull food and company and haven't had time to do any food shopping yet. (Although I did pick up a bottle of gin, but that is {cough,cough} medicinal).

I will go shopping this afternoon and pick up a few solids. In the meantime, I found a can of sardines in a cupboard and had some home baked bread on standby, so it was sardines on toast (toasted sardines?) for lunch. And if you find them unphotogenic, I'm sure there are many other things to look at. They tasted great.

sardines.thumb.jpg.21caca625cf48da018caa5800a9ec1d3.jpg

With a cold can (or two) of something wet.

liquan.thumb.jpg.041350e38e248ed4ef23d27e3242e23d.jpg

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 5

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

@liuzhou

Not a thing wrong with sardines on toast even if unphotogenic. When the cupboard is bare and the purse is empty sardines are a cheap, tasty and healthy source of protein. Must re-stock. 

• Like 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

It's a 4-day long weekend here.

Soft-cooked egg novice. I need more practice.

RCsnzbn.jpg

Black Forest ham and grainy sourdough.

mbHd4Ha.jpg

Sesame-crusted. Sesame oil and rice wine in the miso sauce.

qTYyDj4.jpg

Black stuff is ground toasted black sesame seeds, in case I wanted to mix it in the miso sauce.

awCUXiF.jpg

Supposed to be tortillas but I used a little more eggs than I should have. One has fried Speck in it.

R2hp34M.jpg

I always slip it under the grill to finish the top but thought maybe I'd turn it over just this once. I broke it. Still tasted good all the same.

6opzIUH.jpg

More (beetroot) asparagus, with leftover pistachio picada (a Catalan almond sauce). Was part of dinner yesterday.

PO9jMsX.jpg

Made asparagus kimchi today. We shall see what happens in 2 weeks time.

viClxxH.jpg

• Like 9

@BonVivant, I don't know what sort of soft boiled egg practice you think you need.  That one looks absolutely perfect - I don't think I'd be able to peel one like that without breaking it - well done!

Everything else looks gorgeously delicious as usual.   

My much more plebeian lunch:

IMG_5293.thumb.jpg.381166e437a33c12b6023171b755f863.jpg

Merguez with sweet potatoes, beans & chermoula from Diana Henry's Simple with yogurt and warm naan.

Edited by blue_dolphin (log)
  • Like 7

On a long trek to the grocery store, which included a trip to the landlord's office in Raleigh so they could increase the rent on my dysfunctional home, I ate at Lucky 7 Chinese. I usually get the fried chicken wings. They are very lightly battered with the crispiest, tastiest coating around these parts. They par fry them and freeze, then finish frying from frozen to order and they come out screaming hot. Four whole wings plus a huge order of cooked to order similarly hot fries are $5.99. The wings are marinated before coating in batter in what I'm guessing is salt and turmeric. Delicious and a much better deal than any of the buffalo wing places around here. I also had a pork egg roll. It was okay, but I've had and made better. Can't beat the wings though and the fries are frozen too, but hot out of the fryer goes a very long way with me.

I had leftover wings, which remain crispy. They are slated for dinner tomorrow night, and I'm going to try making scallion pancakes for the first time in my life. Come to think of it, I've never eaten scallion pancakes before, so it's time that is corrected. I watched an episode of America's Test Kitchen yesterday, and they were making them, but I couldn't find their recipe. Kenji to the rescue!

I was also relieved to find out while at the grocery store today that they carry sesame oil. The Korean owned Pan-Asian grocer I used to have access to went out of business. There is a sign on their door from the Sheriff's office about non-payment of rent. I was panicking! I don't use much sesame oil, but I sure would hate to lose access to it altogether, and the other area Asian grocers are out of my current ability to walk to. So that was a bright spot in a bad day, finding sesame oil and some other Asian ingredients at the mainstream grocer. Yah!

• Like 3

> ^ . . ^ <

14 hours ago, robirdstx said:

IMG_0477.thumb.JPG.2f2f4f597a73625df76f1fe81dc21215.JPG

Happy Friday! Baked Potato Skins

One of my favorite food groups. I make them every couple of weeks or so.

• Like 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

image.thumb.jpeg.75d7c6c76dafe60c1cba30c961d77b60.jpeg

Roasted in the Cuisinart steam oven. 

• Like 7

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

image.thumb.jpeg.7535a3d0dc89ed72af8a75d094086982.jpeg

• Like 12

My 2004 eG Blog

Wow !

although 

@Anna N 

has been,  for some time ,  at The Top of the Game

Im wondering if she is now ,  or a few months at least 

trying out Stuff for the New Restaurant 

she plans to start ?

hopefully those of Us here will get 20% off coupons

Id very much consider it

even having to sit in The Middle Isle 

etc etc to get there.

hopefully there would be Real Banger and Mash to soothe  a Traveler's Soul.

then in the AM  a Full English Breakfast  

the for Lunch

Danish Open Sandwiches  

See ?

• Like 1

Ha ha.  Of all the things I might want to do opening a restaurant is not one of them.  But I would love to have enough money to re-open The Copenhagen Room. But I fear even its time has passed.  From my reading I understand that's the Danes are turning away from their traditional open-faced sandwiches.  

• Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog