• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lunch! What'd ya have? (2017)

blue_dolphin

Mixed sushi plate at Roppongi Hills. Costs about 25 USD ... excellent value for money. The Uni was great and the Negitoro (which I specified as the only "must have" item to the master) was the best I had in a long time ...

WP_20170516_12_30_06_Rich.jpg

• Like 7

6 minutes ago, btbyrd said:

Broke out the carbon steel and put a fierce sear down on some beef, peppers, and onions. My cheesesteak

Bet it was delicious but when the photograph first appeared on my screen I saw seared calamari.   Dirty glasses or wishful thinking I guess.   I definitely would not turn down that cheesesteak though.

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

image.jpeg.f68a19a5859f1a34ea67f9d1d0f041c7.jpeg

image.jpeg.309feffc3cc258e1c88caf5dc188bdf8.jpeg

From Six Seasons. An interesting combination of flavors. Brought to mind a crustless pizza.  

• Like 9

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

well , just to create some oder and perspective here :

591ddc53e6edc_cheesesteak.thumb.jpg.4601574385b147de9c649d3c8fbfc0c0.jpg.e3dbb4a81284f41941791343200d518c.jpg

Id hope that those Peppers are not Green Bells.

if they are , to each their own.

Somebody has to buy GreenBells

or the Economy and my very Modest Positions would collapse !

Edited by rotuts (log)

I just pretend they are poblanos , when I see pictures with green bells. :)    I totally get the uselessness of green bells, I think it goes back to childhood and some weirdass beef and green bell pepper dish my Mom would make a couple times a year. Totally turned me against them. 

• Like 2

"Why is the rum always gone?"

Captain Jack Sparrow

5 hours ago, rotuts said:

They're a mix of green bells and jalapenos. I would have used pablanos, but the ones at the store were quite sad. I actually like green bells though, and prefer them to other bells for most applications. Yellow, orange, and red bells tend to be sweeter and lose all their... pepperiness. I almost regard them more as fruit than vegetable (even though they are fruit, botanically speaking). Reds and yellows are great for soup, or for adding some visual pop to a stir fry... but when I want something peppery without heat, pablanos are my top choice, and then green bells. (Unless I'm stuffing them, in which case, the shape of the bells wins out.) 

• Like 3

Have physically returned from Japan, but not mentally. Today Okonomiyaki, cold tofu w/ shogayaki-style beef, quick-pickled seafood and miso soup. Quick and satisfying lunch ...

WP_20170520_12_23_30_Rich.jpg

• Like 6

image.jpeg.af469d28ae0328c4a8b8de5195953869.jpeg

I knew these two dishes would not play well together but since I was feeding only myself and wanted to play in my kitchen I was prepared to suffer the consequences.  Even by itself, the salad was not very successful.  However it was worth it for the dressing alone.  It was a spicy fish sauce dressing which I am certain will find better uses in other dishes.

Lessons learned:

Green beans left whole, no matter how attractive, pose too many challenges when it comes time to eat.

Green beans tossed in oil and roasted are one of the most delicious things I know. Green beans roasted naked (as suggested by the author I was following)  have nothing to recommend them in my opinion.

Green beans do not absorb salad dressing and tossing them in a dressing that contains no oil is a waste of effort. 

Braised sweet-and-sour red cabbage is always good.

• Like 5

My 2004 eG Blog

image.jpeg.eb36b0e66caeec7efe8454c35cd69e2d.jpeg

Some days you want to cook and some days you just want to read about it.

• Like 2

My 2004 eG Blog

I replaced the green beans with green asparagus, which is a German lunch dish.

VbBBCx0.jpg

My seasonal "Strammer Max". Basically it's toasted bread topped with ham and runny egg. Very typical in Germany.

m2daKii.jpg

This is the ham I used. "Black Forest ham".

8wOaHJx.jpg

Grated cured egg

DDApMov.jpg

More asparagus.

ZWii2fy.jpg

Very nice selection this weekend.

OBjPUXF.jpg

This one was about to run. Already quite soft to the touch before cutting it open.

fLhfe93.jpg

Edited by BonVivant (log)
  • Like 8

@BonVivant 

thanks you for so many lovely posts

Ive only just now figured out what those red thinly sliced veg were

Im assuming you use white asparagus and then beet juice to get that color

are they sold that way or are they a home prep ?

do you get beet root flavor or is it just for the stunning presentation ?

thanks again for some fine posts

7 hours ago, rotuts said:

@BonVivant 

thanks you for so many lovely posts

Ive only just now figured out what those red thinly sliced veg were

Im assuming you use white asparagus and then beet juice to get that color

are they sold that way or are they a home prep ?

do you get beet root flavor or is it just for the stunning presentation ?

thanks again for some fine posts

I love beetroots and am always finding new ways to give something their stunning colour. Asparagus is my newest experiment. Just boil some beetroots to obtain the liquid and soak the asparagus in it.

People here eat asparagus 2 ways and 2 ways only: cook it to death and drown it in some sauce, or make a soup. When I tell them all the things they could do with asparagus they are most surprised.

And thank you very much!

Some examples...

Seared Skrei

eFHFeVP.jpg

Spätzle

mZrG7Ze.jpg

Austrian dumplings with scrambled eggs

98C7aPl.jpg

Beetroot marinated raw salmon

G68QtcR.jpg

Beetroot chicken. Oh wait, not yet. It's not if, it's when.

hCwEa1E.jpg

• Like 5

16 minutes ago, scubadoo97 said:

Last Wednesday I had a 90 min layover in the Baltimore airport.  Had to scratch that crab cake itch

image.jpeg

O'Brycki's?

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

2 hours ago, scubadoo97 said:

No the diner around the corner.  They were pretty good

They actually look better. BWI is an airport we frequent (family there) so will need to give that a try. Name please!

image.jpeg.d040fd3757277bc39fcaf49f23a03876.jpeg

• Like 6

My 2004 eG Blog