• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lunch! What'd ya have? (2017)

blue_dolphin

image.jpeg.3be39b90e4c285412ad0b73b54769a81.jpeg

I tiptoed through various recipe sources knowing that I wanted to make a sweet potato hash but not knowing much beyond that.  Eventually I realized that nothing that I was looking at quite met what was in my mind and so I set off without a map.  I made a rough chop of an onion and tossed it into a pan with some oil and some seasoning and let it do its thing for a bit. Meanwhile I scrubbed and cubed a sweet potato and cut up a chunk of dried chorizo.  I tossed the sweet potato with oil and salt and pepper and roasted it for about 20 minutes at 400°F.  I added the cut up chorizo to the onions and then, when the sweet potatoes were tender, I added the onions and chorizo to the roasting pan to keep it warm while I fried an egg.  A generous dusting of hot smoked paprika gave me what I was looking for.   I served up half of it and the other half will make another meal.   

• Like 9

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

@robirdstx 

how were those fries ?

there is a 5G';s very near me.

i went once.  like the idea that I could put a lot of topping on the burger at ordering.

they were not able to give me mayo for the fries and suggested catsup.

and I might try it again and ask that the fries be very crispy and not inundated w salt which they seem to to

ShakeShake, much father away , had a better burger

however the Ss fries were limp and way under cooked !

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, rotuts said:

@robirdstx 

how were those fries ?

there is a 5G';s very near me.

i went once.  like the idea that I could put a lot of topping on the burger at ordering.

they were not able to give me mayo for the fries and suggested catsup.

and I might try it again and ask that the fries be very crispy and not inundated w salt which they seem to to

ShakeShake, much father away , had a better burger

however the Ss fries were limp and way under cooked !

The Fries were good, not super crispy but well cooked. Lightly salted and perfect for me, but my husband took one taste and went for the salt packets. We divided the Fries so as to have each as we liked. They have mayo in packets if that's what you prefer for dipping.

I have just finished moving house (to the extent that everything is moved but nothing has been unpacked) so lunch in the local Muslim place - Hand pulled noodles with beef (牛肉拉面) . 

The noodles are pulled to order, so you get a bit of theatre for free.

20170424_135011.thumb.jpg.100de1fcf0f03c9f477b94754f3eb7dd.jpg

And after, I added some optional chilli and stirred things up.20170424_135235.thumb.jpg.44fc9c002b27883bb304c3e82d6e2455.jpg

• Like 16

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

Sunday we had to check on bluebird boxes for our annual Bluebird Survey so I roasted off two chicken breasts.  John got a sandwich on his gluten free bread with avocado smushed up with celery salt and Miracle Whip (and two for the road).   My lunch was the leftover bits of the chicken that didn't go between the bread with the leftover avocado spread.  I snarfed it with some oat and flax crackers as we checked all the boxes.

• Like 3

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

I am so easily bored it it's almost embarrassing.  And it has been forever since I acquired a new kitchen toy.  But an expedition into my rarely visited basement often turns up a toy I haven't played with for ages. So it was the other day that my small Japanese, butane powered grill called out to me.  As I contemplated lunch I remembered some artisanal bread I had frozen a short time ago and decided that if I grilled a slice or two it would make a fine beginning to lunch.  

image.jpeg.ddb6db10a7f721d006ba9fa5832cf189.jpeg

image.jpeg.d5de066e7993a56e7afb623c67937707.jpeg

So I brushed some olive oil on the bread, carefully grilled it under the "powerful" range hood and was nearly deafened by the smoke alarm. After a minute or two to silence the blasted thing, I rubbed a garlic clove over each slice, piled on some ham and some rewarmed blistered cherry tomatoes and lunch was served.   Boredom is briefly relieved.

• Like 12

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

Inspired by @Shelby's recent artichoke post on the dinner thread, along with a discussion I recently listened to on NPR about fried artichokes, I bought one today.

I cut off the Top 1 1/2 " and plucked off the leaves down to the pale yellow ones and trimmed off any dark colored outside on the body and stem. Then I sliced it into 6 pieces along the stem axis and removed the choke. I sliced each piece in half again to get bite sized pieces and pan fried it in olive oil and salt and pepper.

IMG_1938.thumb.JPG.789c7627a9ffc04ecd688c8b2925aaa9.JPGIMG_1937.thumb.JPG.08733e91f240ec9f33c14b36dd031a04.JPG

I fried it until the edges were crispy brown and served it with a spicy lemon garlic aioli. The next time I make dinner out of apps, this will be one of them. Really quite good.

HC

IMG_1939.thumb.JPG.d2e64aff401efdf96448ac15a834527c.JPG

IMG_1940.thumb.JPG.b2e82dfa1ee7078d45f52f3ef610f100.JPG

• Like 9

Looks good, I may have to try that this summer. 

• Like 2

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

Confession:. I have never prepared an artichoke from scratch and can only remember once in my life actually eating a fresh one.  I'm good with the canned and frozen kind though.:)

• Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog

Still in the throes of post house-move unpacking, so lunch was take away from the local Muslim place, which is rapidly turning into my canteen. (I'm not Muslim. I just really like Chinese Muslim (Hui) food.)

Today I avoided the usual noodle route and, as I had things to do, decided not to eat there. 

Here is lunch.

20170427_141021.thumb.jpg.56ca9f3ba1e289eec06c0884dd05683e.jpg

The mystery packages each contain a Rou Jia Mo, spicy beef and onions in a type of flat bread.

20170427_141054.thumb.jpg.1e988174ad5aae7c352aa38f24b8d637.jpg

The filling is spiced with green chili and cumin. These were hot. Some of the best I've ever had - and I've eaten thousnds over the years. 

The bread.

20170427_142223.thumb.jpg.95bc2a50f12b9ccaa9f41662b7805da5.jpg

And the filling in place

20170427_142247.thumb.jpg.e82e5e8b66af09473e6efffa392fe084.jpg

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 12

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

@liuzhou

Those look as if they would beat a Big Mac by quite a mile (or a kilometre)!  

• Like 4

My 2004 eG Blog

image.jpeg.593807c8f5286469cf0a74eaa3724567.jpegimage.jpeg.c84542ca9ad9b052af0316c65f18bacd.jpeg

Today I needed to give the fridge a once over.  I found a couple of large leeks rapidly going south and realized that I had enough cheese to open my own cheese store.  It became obvious early in the game that lunch would somehow include these two ingredients.  A quick survey of various sources brought up a Jamie Oliver treatment.  His called for cheddar Parmesan and Brie.  So perhaps I can't open the cheese store because the one cheese I'm not in the habit of keeping in the house is Brie (a tad boring for my taste).  But I did have some Gorgonzola ... Close eh?  Aside from the leeks, the cheeses and some light cream, the recipe called for only some seasoning.  I thought a little crunch on top was needed so I added some panko. 

• Like 10

My 2004 eG Blog

1 hour ago, IowaDee said:

LOL, if your Brie was runny, you fixed cheesy leeks with leaky cheese.  Looks good too!

Didn't have Brie!   So I had cheesy leeks with mouldy cheese.

My 2004 eG Blog

On 4/26/2017 at 11:19 AM, HungryChris said:

Inspired by @Shelby's recent artichoke post on the dinner thread, along with a discussion I recently listened to on NPR about fried artichokes, I bought one today.

I cut off the Top 1 1/2 " and plucked off the leaves down to the pale yellow ones and trimmed off any dark colored outside on the body and stem. Then I sliced it into 6 pieces along the stem axis and removed the choke. I sliced each piece in half again to get bite sized pieces and pan fried it in olive oil and salt and pepper

That's pretty much my preferred way to to eat fresh chokes. If I am really impatient I don't even make a dip for them. Often when I prep them like that I put them on pizza or pasta with red sauce. I top the pasta with them at the last minute so they don't get uncrisp. They are a pain to be sure, but so yummy. My mother was over the moon about artichokes when I was growing up; she steamed them whole and dipped the leaves in a simple olive oil and lemon dressing. When I moved to CA I discovered everyone dipped 'em in mayo, straight from the jar.    

• Like 1

image.thumb.jpeg.e6514a11247d6cb8bec2c557bd957df4.jpeg

Leftovers from last evening's meal of sausage, tomatoes and orzo.  Like most leftover pasta dishes it emerged from the refrigerator very dry as the orzo had soaked up much of the sauce. I thinned it with a little half-and-half being careful not to overheat it lest it curdle and then brightened it with a chiffonade of basil (sorry, reading too many cheffy things just lately.xD)

• Like 11

My 2004 eG Blog

Sausage seems to be a prominent lunch item.

Today we had homemade Italian Hot Italian sausages; home made hoagie bun, crispy onions and Moosewood's coleslaw with pineapple, carrot, apple topped with a mixture of nuts and seeds.

Around 800 calories I figure.

Salad for dinner!

But, it was delicious:x

DSC01933.thumb.jpg.1660a337c30ac1121097b2145ff6452a.jpgDSC01932.thumb.jpg.89f02de52ee09b9dd3773f4cfd86c6da.jpgDSC01934.thumb.jpg.49c16dc4c9afc19342acbddd239ec615.jpg

• Like 11