• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lunch! What'd ya have? (2017)

blue_dolphin

EYB = Eat Your Books 

Click.

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

7 hours ago, Thanks for the Crepes said:

Food fantasies can be good when you can't get the real thing. I hope you have time to slow down and realize your dream.

TftC.....that was my fantasy for BREAKFAST.  I HAD IT for LUNCH.    xD:P:D

...and again for lunch yesterday.

Today's fantasy is corned beef hash.........maybe for tomorrow?

• Like 2

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

There was a sandwich from a food truck many careers ago that I greatly enjoyed. It was fried fish on a roll with American cheese and tartar sauce. Yesterday, while I was buying haddock for last nights fish and chips, I bought a little extra with this sandwich in mind. I crisped up the roll in a hot oven, while I fried the fish. It was better than I remembered!

HC

IMG_1710.thumb.JPG.31e864c734e5dc65a6818a80948acbb3.JPGIMG_1713.thumb.JPG.e9f9585a3da82fa289a35d36099857d1.JPG 

Edited by HungryChris
sp (log)
  • Like 9

8 hours ago, HungryChris said:

There was a sandwich from a food truck many careers ago that I greatly enjoyed. It was fried fish on a roll with American cheese and tartar sauce. Yesterday, while I was buying haddock for last nights fish and chips, I bought a little extra with this sandwich in mind. I crisped up the roll in a hot oven, while I fried the fish. It was better than I remembered!

HC

IMG_1710.thumb.JPG.31e864c734e5dc65a6818a80948acbb3.JPGIMG_1713.thumb.JPG.e9f9585a3da82fa289a35d36099857d1.JPG 

You had me with the diet Dr. PEPPER  but.......fake cheese (or any cheese) on a fried fish sandwich!?!?!

• Like 2

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

1 hour ago, suzilightning said:

You had me with the diet Dr. PEPPER  but.......fake cheese (or any cheese) on a fried fish sandwich!?!?!

McDonald's has sold a gazillion sandwiches with basically the same ingredients as the one Hungry Chris made with better ingredients. Someone besides me must like them. :) I can't eat THAT much.

• Like 3

> ^ . . ^ <

3 hours ago, suzilightning said:

It was so long ago that I cannot remember the details about the food truck, but it is what it is. I am just reporting the facts. I thought it was an unlikely combination, but a great sandwich, nonetheless. I am not asking for your permission, or your approval, just stating the facts and after eating my own recreation, from my memory, I have not a single apology about the ingredients. It was, after all, an effort to recreate an old experience, which I found quite successful. 

HC

Edited by HungryChris (log)
  • Like 3

6 hours ago, HungryChris said:

It was so long ago that I cannot remember the details about the food truck, but it is what it is. I am just reporting the facts. I thought it was an unlikely combination, but a great sandwich, nonetheless. I am not asking for your permission, or your approval, just stating the facts and after eating my own recreation, from my memory, I have not a single apology about the ingredients. It was, after all, an effort to recreate an old experience, which I found quite successful. 

HC

Just stating an opinion...maybe I'm a smidgen Italian afterall as the thought f cheese and seafood puts me off

• Like 1

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

8 hours ago, Thanks for the Crepes said:

McDonald's has sold a gazillion sandwiches with basically the same ingredients as the one Hungry Chris made with better ingredients. Someone besides me must like them. :) I can't eat THAT much.

Never had one ... no McDonalds where I grew up and go to one maybe once a year for a Shamrock Shake

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

Filet o' Fish is just about the only thing at McD's that doesn't lead to unfortunate...consequences...for me, so I eat them when I'm dragged into one. I usually order mine without tartar (I'm not a fan) and usually get it with tartar anyway. Can't be bothered to complain about it, so I just eat the damned thing. 

I don't adhere to the cheese/fish dogma anyway, but by my reckoning the major use-case for processed cheese slices is melting them onto something fried. The notion of it being (originally) fish doesn't really matter. 

• Like 2

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

1 hour ago, chromedome said:

Filet o' Fish is just about the only thing at McD's that doesn't lead to unfortunate...consequences...for me, so I eat them when I'm dragged into one. I usually order mine without tartar (I'm not a fan) and usually get it with tartar anyway. Can't be bothered to complain about it, so I just eat the damned thing. 

I don't adhere to the cheese/fish dogma anyway, but by my reckoning the major use-case for processed cheese slices is melting them onto something fried. The notion of it being (originally) fish doesn't really matter. 

The fish used to be one of the more edible options. Haven't had it in years so don't know if it has held up.   Don't anticipate any research into the matter in the near future. xD

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

If limited to fast food options, the McD's fish sandwich is my preference and I believe we have a whole topic devoted to it.  

Getting back to lunch, today I made the black linguine with squid and spicy sausage from Diana Henry's Simple.

IMG_4834.thumb.jpg.b375bddfadbe7221574877460ce6a294.jpg

Not a fan of this particular brand of pasta.  It was very brittle coming out of the bag and continued to break during cooking.   Also rather expensive.  Never occurred to me to cook squid with spicy sausage but it was interesting.

Edited by blue_dolphin
to add link (log)
  • Like 10

I've never, ever looked in this thread before.

This afternoon I was famished and found I had a third of last night's above average baguette left over.  I served the baguette sliced thin with a jar of peanut butter, much like Lord Sandwich, while playing World of Warcraft with my friends.

Broke a tooth on the last bite.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

image.jpeg.5e00f36698fbb1877f22d6eaddcccb11.jpeg

• Like 7

My 2004 eG Blog

@blue_dolphin I had just bookmarked this squid/pasta recipe for making very soon.  If you make pasta, squid ink pasta is really quite simple to make and deliciously 'oceanie' from the squid ink which is available at your local Italian store.  There is a recipe in A16 if you have that cookbook.  Squid/Mussels and spicy sausage always good in fact the latter is often on menus around here using sliced Spanish chorizo.  A 'healthy' way to eat sausage!;)

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Okanagancook said:

@blue_dolphin I had just bookmarked this squid/pasta recipe for making very soon.  If you make pasta, squid ink pasta is really quite simple to make and deliciously 'oceanie' from the squid ink which is available at your local Italian store.  There is a recipe in A16 if you have that cookbook.  Squid/Mussels and spicy sausage always good in fact the latter is often on menus around here using sliced Spanish chorizo.  A 'healthy' way to eat sausage!;)

Next time I will try making the pasta.  I was going to go that route but then I saw the dried stuff in my local Italian shop and thought that would make it easy.  They usually stock good quality stuff but I'll be voicing my opinion about this product!  

Today's late lunch/early supper is a variation on another of Diana Henry's recipes from Simple: Toast with Crab and Cilantro-Chile Mayo.  I subbed leftover salmon for the crab and jalapeño for the red chile. It was to be served with watercress but I have none so I used avocado (it's green, no?) This would be good with many kinds of fish or seafood add just as good stuffed into an avocado as on toast - clearly I went for both!

IMG_4874.jpg

• Like 9

God, that looks good.  I LOVE avocado and happen to have three ready for use.....we are on the same wavelength these last few days!!  I took another look at Simple since buying it and why or why the fork why have I not made anything more from this book.  If you need the squid pasta recipe let me know.  It IS worth making.

cheers.

• Like 2

20170411_131137.thumb.jpg.5d04e55b0e9c25369936adf32700fead.jpg

Nothing sounded good except Mexican, and I'm going out with a friend to eat Mexican tonight. So, fallback on an old favorite. Pears, blue cheese, ricotta, crackers, pickles. 

• Like 9

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

image.jpeg.840c6773fef7fa2767498f806764ef74.jpeg

It is about time I made up a new grocery order as the cupboards are beginning to look a little bare. I got home from an early morning appointment extremely hungry and pulled this together from the pantry. I sautéed a little garlic in some olive oil and then tossed in some canned artichoke hearts, canned mushrooms, sun-dried tomatoes and olives.  I gave them time to become intimate one with one another and then threw in some feta cheese.  

• Like 4

My 2004 eG Blog

Mumbai toastie from Diana Henry's Simple. Recipe available online at this link.

IMG_4888.thumb.jpg.c91650e7c4687153f2fcddfa8c1451a9.jpg

The bread is spread with a fresh green chile/cilantro/mint/garlic chutney, topped with Cheddar cheese, tomato, red onion and a pinch each of cumin, coriander, ginger and cinnamon before cooking in a sandwich press (which I lack) or under a weight.

I wasn't sure I'd like it but after gobbling this down, I found myself wishing there was more. 

Edited by blue_dolphin
to add link to recipe (log)
  • Like 8

@blue_dolphin

Honeyed sausages  ????

Im a big fan of sausage.

in my area a long time ago there was the SmoikleHouse

some one decided to go to Germany and take a full sausage apprentice and be certified there rather than

go to a various Boston Named School that started with "  H "

stunning stuff

also where I grew up  in the PaloAlto / LosAltos  area in CA there was 

http://www.dittmers.com

so nice Sausage  !

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, rotuts said:

Honeyed sausages  ????

Well, that's name of the recipe rather than the sausage :D

I used some spicy bratwurst that I bought at the local farmers market last week.  The woman who makes them is from Germany and sells both fresh and smoked but I used the fresh ones here.

Per the recipe, they get coated with a mixture of honey and whole-grain mustard and roasted in the oven. Tasty!

• Like 3

Lunch here is nearly always leftovers. A benefit of focussing on one country's food (currently India), is combining the leftovers into something similar, but different. Today we had aloo mattar, rice with dal, coriander chutney (all from last night) plus tomato chutney and cucumber raita (from Tuesday). The black pepper pappads were fresh out of the MW :)

IMG_3480.thumb.JPG.c77d03da8036acf67d81d786a193faa5.JPG

• Like 8