• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lunch! What'd ya have? (2017)

blue_dolphin

2 hours ago, BonVivant said:

xjBSXqx.jpg

The mouse is back! 

I do love the mouse. Meals look good, too.

2 hours ago, BonVivant said:

• Like 2

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

image.jpeg.64d4182c82abe200cd15eb218f70f5c8.jpeg

Perhaps I shall give up eating altogether. xD  Three disappointing meals in a row is a bit much.  I restocked my fridge with some pickled herring and was able to find some Tilsit cheese. At least that is what it purports to be. I was anxiously looking forward to it as two stores had informed me they were no longer going to carry it so I grabbed two packages to be on the safe side. Tilsit to me is a pungent cheese reminiscent of very dirty and well-aged athletic socks. This stuff would not even offend a dowager duchess in her finery.   It is devoid of smell and taste.  It is as if someone has stolen a memory from me.  The very first time I was in Denmark visiting my brother-in-law his kitchen smelled of Tilsit and although it took me a while to learn to love it, I did so in very short order.  Two glasses of wine will be supper tonight.

• Like 9

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

The best Pizza I have ever had.

I did a trip to my old stomping grounds back home (Sydney North Shore) over the weekend.  I had this and some of the best Prawns I've had also.

IMG_20170312_145616.thumb.jpg.e000b554d0535ffeb57377e3295d748a.jpg

One of my daughters was with me and she said it took her back to Italy.

• Like 13

First and hopefully last snow of the season in Arlington VA.  Office is closed.  The roads are fine but a lot of stores are closed.  Whole foods are open and had lovely dry scallops and Mexican asparagus for me.  Served with brown butter, capers, lime pan sauce.  A glass of Savignon Blanc on the side.  Who knew you could have wine with lunch?  On Tuesday!

image.thumb.jpg.f0622a0ac6b99abbbed5844a635912a5.jpg

• Like 13

Liverwurst with onion and brie on rosemary crackers, marinated mushrooms, pickled asparagus, salted tomatoes and the last of a growler of APA, World @ Large. Fortunately there are five more full ones in the basement fridge, but that number may change later in the day.

HC.

IMG_1468.thumb.JPG.4847a3b3f342099950683e14f727b381.JPG

Edited by HungryChris (log)
  • Like 9

23 hours ago, Anna N said:

image.jpeg.64d4182c82abe200cd15eb218f70f5c8.jpeg

I have wanted to like herring in any form for years, but a bad experience from a cart in Amsterdam many years ago has left me hesitant. I recently spotted a small jar (8 oz) in sour cream, which I have read is the best way to ease into liking it, and decided to pull thee trigger, for better or worse.

IMG_1408.thumb.JPG.c58a066a966d7f2d7eb6fd5fa91a5d9d.JPG

Not really sure how to go about it, I decided to treat it like I do smoked salmon, which I love. I spread a little cream cheese on toast with some capers and onions.

IMG_1409.thumb.JPG.65b93a6378cc23e9a4097b8515897f6b.JPG

Then I applied some herring, said a prayer and dug in.

IMG_1411.thumb.JPG.2bd8b3ef3e6aa9f9c8f2e3ae587f822b.JPG

The bottom line: It wasn't bad. It wasn't offensive, but it remains to be seen if I ever crave it. It also remains to be seen if I ever finish the jar. I give it a week and a half and it's going in the trash, empty or still half full.

HC

Edited by HungryChris (log)
  • Like 2

@HungryChris

I have tried almost every iteration available from herring in mustard to herring in curry sauce to herring in sour cream. In the end I always return to my herring in wine sauce.  Ideally, I eat it on dark, dense bread spread with duck/goose fat and topped with a mountain of crispy fried onions.  My ideal requires some forethought.  I make a traditional spread by frying apples, onions and peppercorns in goose or duck fat.  Once fully set that becomes the spread for the bread.  Then I fry some onions until they are very dark and crispy. 

Being lazy, most of the time the spread becomes butter and the onions become just whatever is in the jar with the herring.  Such a sandwich is a poor substitute for the real thing.  And it really does demand a glass of freezer cold Akvavit to wash it down. 

• Like 3

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

image.jpeg.47f976597fa3942a494b9291e3dc5bc5.jpeg

Cheese, bacon and tomato quesadilla.

• Like 9

My 2004 eG Blog

No pictures but friends and I ate lunch at a busy Thai restaurant in Kelowna.  My friends are hot food fanatics so when Don said "is 8 out of 10 heat level ok with everyone?" I thought why not.

The food is gorgeous.  Freshly made with quality ingredients and cheap ($10 for each dish).  The chicken satays were nicely cooked with a smooth mild peanut sauce and fresh little salad...that was ok.  We also had spring rolls which were shatteringly crisp...that was ok.  Then the chicken ginger curry over rice, the shrimp/tofu pad thai and the beef with veggies over rice arrived.  We started eating and very soon Don's nose began to run and my eyes started to smart and Susan's 'yum, yum's turned to 'oh my god this is hot'.  I went through three tissues clearing my nose and wiping the sweat away from underneath my eyes.  Don pretty well demolished his napkin.  We all began to pick out the slices of hot red chilies scattered throughout.   But, I have to say after my tongue stopped burning we all thought it was good but next time Don wants to go down to a 7! :P

We couldn't eat it all. I think there was about 3/4 of a dish left so very cheap.  And, this is in a trendy part of Kelowna.  Don't know how they do it.

• Like 6

image.jpeg.a2ff962ea0b60fc22c52c88baf488892.jpeg

Real food --fast.  Roasted asparagus and tomatoes with a shower of grana padana and a pat of umami butter. 15 minutes tops. 

• Like 9

My 2004 eG Blog

Lovely lunches everyone ! Mine is more often than not leftovers, sometimes a sandwich.

Ploughmans sanger - mustard pickles, shaved deli ham, sliced vintage cheddar, and quick pickled onions on a warmed crusty roll.

IMG_3347.thumb.JPG.c5a13a590b82f043530b0830c3c8c22f.JPG

• Like 10

image.jpeg.f6441cfba9bcb33279ea5350c0525bdd.jpeg

The rest of the cauliflower (from dinner) roasted with a generous coating of curry powder.   Unlike the cauliflower I had for dinner yesterday evening, this was not washed down with a glass of wine.  I am occasionally capable of restraint.    

• Like 4

My 2004 eG Blog

Some southern German and northern Tyrol food.

Dumplings with scrambled eggs. Very simple to make, everyone likes eating it.

qihCQYP.jpg

Exactly the same as the above but with raw beetroot in the batter.

98C7aPl.jpg

Spinach dumplings (these are big ones) filled with breadcrumbs and grated Italian cheese from Tyrol, Asiago d'allevo.  Sauce is cream and the same cheese.

9eqYJLq.jpg

Leftover dumplings were sliced and fried in Speck fat, and goose fat (crispy bits on the plate). The fried version is even better.

8CJqr1y.jpg

Speck on the side.

4oLwPjs.jpg

Always find ways to eat more beetroots. I like things most people hate, I guess.

bdfHYZT.jpg

Same as spinach dumplings, cheese is 2 year old Comte. Golden brown bits are just breadcrumbs fried in fats (goose, Speck and Mangalitsa).

utbnhWY.jpg

"White sausage"

TVPGEQC.jpg

Without "white beer" this time.

GYXMaKc.jpg

Supposed to be a Bavarian sausage salad but I used homemade kimchi instead.

PIGI27C.jpg

• Like 10

5 hours ago, Anna N said:

image.jpeg.f6441cfba9bcb33279ea5350c0525bdd.jpeg

The rest of the cauliflower (from dinner) roasted with a generous coating of curry powder.   Unlike the cauliflower I had for dinner yesterday evening, this was not washed down with a glass of wine.  I am occasionally capable of restraint.    

Well, THAT'S no fun.

• Like 4

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com