• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lunch! What'd ya have? (2017)

blue_dolphin

image.jpeg.d962c16417889182acfde8439ef8a4b5.jpeg

Pickled herring and SV'd beef short ribs.   Too early in the week to wash it down with akvavit and then enjoy a nap.

• Like 8

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

2 hours ago, scubadoo97 said:

Two separate meals or did you top the short ribs with the herring;)

One slice of bread (trying to watch my carbs) beef on one half, herring on the other. It would take more than one glass of akvavit to persuade me to combine them.  But never say never.  

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

This morning I returned from a second eye surgery. I am extremely happy to report that even on the ride home, I could see the world clearly for the first time in about 9 months. I talked Deb into stopping so I could get sushi to celebrate. Here is my little celebration (with added meds of sort).

HC

IMG_1214.thumb.JPG.82ee817a8acc3b39b17c59677d90fe97.JPG

IMG_1211.thumb.JPG.65155086602139746677742f75db209f.JPG

Edited by HungryChris (log)
  • Like 10

@kayb, that delicious-looking meal would put me into a very happy stupor. I doubt I'd wake up for dinner.

• Like 2

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

No cooking lunch.

Oysters unadorned. I bought half a dozen, but one called in sick. Well, dead in fact. So five. They were stubborn shuckers, so a couple got a bit mangled in the process. Still went down a treat.

20170224_123351.thumb.jpg.b9d98b21fad75a8910f90671d61d872c.jpg

Salmon sashimi. I was going to serve it with a lemon wedge or two,but the lemon I 'definitely' had, seems to have decided to hide, so I used a soy sauce dip instead.

20170224_124858.thumb.jpg.7be90ba0946aac796332cd7503f96714.jpg

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 7

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

"Cart noodles" in a traditional (read run-down) and very local HK place: Strong broth, ho fun, duck blood, wiener sausage, daikon and cuttlefish balls. Smear of hot curry paste. Soooooo good !

WP_20170224_12_05_46_Rich.jpg

• Like 6

Another gratuitous photo of my new 5 inch baby cast iron skillet.  Sautéing ham for lunch, to be served on the last installment (timage.thumb.jpg.070375ca2da37b7f68d69b54c9523b66.jpghank god) of left over noodles.  I usually cook for two and often for one so a small cast iron skillet is more useful than I thought. It set me back 5.50 so it was OK to buy it without an actual need to have one.

• Like 8

Lazy Sunday lunch and comfort food for a German-Catalan family in Hong Kong: Nürnberger sausages, Bratkartoffeln (home fries), onion beer gravy and fried eggs with runny yolks for the Catalans to dip the potatoes. And while the little one refuses to eat anything he doesn't now - if it looks remotely like a sausage and comes with his favourite curry-scented ketchup, it's always a winner :smile: ...

Japanese seasonal beer, just because ...

WP_20170226_13_41_35_Rich.jpg

• Like 11

@Duvel, you could make Bauernfrühstück with chorizo instead of Speck. Best of both worlds, ja?

----------------------

Made a big batch of beetroot dumplings the other day and have been eating them, including for dinner.

g1u4fLu.jpg

Purple chicory loses its colour on contact with heat. Meat bits are smoked goose breast.

y72hx3X.jpg

Beetroots go well with goat's cheese, I have Turkish cheese and it's just fine (cow's milk, young).

0zaOe5W.jpg

Dropped hard boiled eggs in the beetroot water and forgot about them til 2 days later.

mZrG7Ze.jpg

Age is of no importance unless you are a cheese...

oHH7iEx.jpg

Edited by BonVivant (log)
  • Like 9

image.jpeg.80422543c890a1674fdbc7f7342fc99d.jpeg

Did not want very much for lunch but wanted it to pack one heck of a punch.  It did.  Pickled herring and cambozola on dark bread. 

• Like 4

My 2004 eG Blog

21 hours ago, Anna N said:

image.jpeg.80422543c890a1674fdbc7f7342fc99d.jpeg

Did not want very much for lunch but wanted it to pack one heck of a punch.  It did.  Pickled herring and cambozola on dark bread. 

I  wanted to try pickled herring and pickled herring in sour cream for years, but had an experience as a young man in Amsterdam that has held me back. I read about Hollandse Nieuwe on the train as we were headed there. The first cart I encountered selling it got my attention and I ordered one. I was handed a little plate with a single fresh herring fillet smothered with chopped pickles and onions. As I had seen others do, I picked it up by the tail and lowered it into my mouth biting off pieces. Let's just say I was not ready for that yet and it ended up in the canal, much to the enjoyment of several locals. I have come to enjoy all manner of seafood in the years since, but that left a dark mark on my soul.

HC 

@HungryChris,

I came to it kicking and screaming all the way but now I cannot go too many weeks without a hankering for a pickled herring sandwich. I love it best when I take the time to fry up some onions until they are brown and crispy and then pile them high on top of the herring discarding the onion that comes in the jar.  Right now my fridge is without herring and I am already getting antsy.

• Like 2

My 2004 eG Blog

4 hours ago, HungryChris said:

I  wanted to try pickled herring and pickled herring in sour cream for years, but had an experience as a young man in Amsterdam that has held me back. I read about Hollandse Nieuwe on the train as we were headed there. The first cart I encountered selling it got my attention and I ordered one. I was handed a little plate with a single fresh herring fillet smothered with chopped pickles and onions. As I had seen others do, I picked it up by the tail and lowered it into my mouth biting off pieces. Let's just say I was not ready for that yet and it ended up in the canal, much to the enjoyment of several locals. I have come to enjoy all manner of seafood in the years since, but that left a dark mark on my soul.

HC 

Hollandse Nieuwe/new season herrings and pickled herrings are not the same thing. Pickled herrings are sour, whereas maatjes are not.

Do you remember the if herring was cleaned in front of you? Herrings' quality deteriorate so fast once it's removed from the brine and gutted.

I love maatjes. Eat 2 every week at the fishmonger's stall (about 120 in total, annually). See how my herring is being cleaned:

Edited by BonVivant (log)
  • Like 3

6 minutes ago, BonVivant said:

Hollandse Nieuwe/new season herrings and pickled herrings are not the same thing. Pickled herrings are sour, whereas maatjes are not.

Do you remember the if herring was cleaned in front of you? Herrings' quality deteriorate so fast once it's removed from the brine and gutted.

Yes, I know they are not the same thing, but close enough so that I fear a flash-back. Yes they were cleaning them in front of me, but not to order.

HC

• Like 1