• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lunch! What'd ya have? (2017)

blue_dolphin

image.jpeg.39d32087dc6f9d2fcc34e50ff4bccfc8.jpeg

This was my very first SV'd pork shoulder and I wanted to try it plain and simple. Loverly. 

• Like 9

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Marrow bones steam baked in CSO and served with coarse salt, copped parsley. Home baked bread toast not shown.  A glass of Chablis on the side and a delicious nap after that.  

image.thumb.jpg.0fda35fb75335ad11fe6c564d111b5b1.jpg

image.thumb.jpg.dac7e5b4189c61b14419090f096c2353.jpg

• Like 10

Oh boy. Gotta try this.  I know how to do the nap. I even know how to do the wine. But I have never successfully managed the marrow bones.  

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

2 minutes ago, Anna N said:

Oh boy. Gotta try this.  I know how to do the nap. I even know how to do the wine. But I have never successfully managed the marrow bones.  

Cuisinart steam oven 325 degrees 30 minutes.  The main challenge is to procure marrow bones.  Fortunately the Giant in Prince Frederick near our beach house is a reliable source.  They also have tripe every once in a while.  It is very difficult to get offal in general.  I challenge @Anna N and @Kerry Beal to come to my beach house instead of Mannitulin.  Not challenging, more like offering or begging.  There are also multiple thrift shops in the area.  Just saying.  

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, chefmd said:

Cuisinart steam oven 325 degrees 30 minutes.  The main challenge is to procure marrow bones.  Fortunately the Giant in Prince Frederick near our beach house is a reliable source.  They also have tripe every once in a while.  It is very difficult to get offal in general.  I challenge @Anna N and @Kerry Beal to come to my beach house instead of Mannitulin.  Not challenging, more like offering or begging.  There are also multiple thrift shops in the area.  Just saying.  

Ah but can you offer a month of paid work?  Manitoulin is only a vacation for one of usxDxD

But that's still a wonderful offer. Thank you. 

• Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog

@chefmd, in Hungary marrow bones are a starter. Served with raw garlic and toasts. The bones are long and come with metal skewers. Like this:

V8u8l2l.jpg

O0UX2gY.jpg

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Had Turkish-esq breakfast for lunch. It was a dark day which resulted in bad photos. Turkey is on my list, will be eating a real Turkish breakfast someday. This will give you an idea, though the real Turkish breakfast is massive and colourful.

pbyczsH.jpg

And after all the above...

3tZ44Of.jpg

Lots of Chinese tea to wash it down.

syedt4y.jpg

• Like 13

@chefmd Your bones look beautiful. 9_9

I love marrow bones, but outside of restaurants they are difficult to find here, unlike other offal. I guess the restaurants buy them up before the supermarkets can get to them. Never seen them in the farmer's markets either, although they do have every other part of the animal.

Edited by liuzhou (log)

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

image.jpeg.a906f0378b1468eb229c5718df691aa4.jpeg

Cheats cauliflower cheese. Cauliflower steamed in m/w, topped with 3 cheeses and a splash of cream and returned to m/w for a minute or two. Got a bit heavy handed with the cream. 

• Like 7

My 2004 eG Blog

image.jpeg.dac7f2645a7444233e0cf85785e6bc71.jpeg

"Steak" salad with leftover beef ribs and a horseradish dressing.

Edited by Anna N
Remove duplicate photograph (log)
  • Like 7

My 2004 eG Blog

2 minutes ago, rotuts said:

@Anna N  

if like to hear about your horseradish dressing.

Im having something similar tonight , but don't have any lettuce

I do have some tomatoes and sourdough bread

and jarred H .

I winged it. Sour cream, horseradish, splash of Worcestershire sauce, some chopped scallions (because I didn't have any chives), salt and pepper and then a splash of cream to just loosen it up a bit.   I did a fair bit of tasting and adjusting. 

My 2004 eG Blog

this was yesterdays late lunch / early dinner.

the spinach I had hoped to add , had spent a few days longer in the bag than I wanted , so a demerit for me :

D1.thumb.jpg.dff1912fff0f982c7e1bd2a033acb3af.jpg

the meat is from the FCO project , prime ( yes it is ) bade roast SV @ 130  

the tomatoes are Home Matured in a brown bag w apples , and so so , but better than nothing.

the bread was TJ's sourdough  ( Pigs that Fly )  toasted then cooled and chopped

olive oil and Penzey's  Sandwich Sprinkle .  why they call it this I can't say.   It makes the best garlic bread ever

https://www.penzeys.com/online-catalog/sandwich-sprinkle/c-24/p-594/pd-s

mixed up :

D2.thumb.jpg.d57b604d63fabe5574694c946a573c5f.jpg

Spinach or Bibb would have been nice.

but very tasty !

PS  some coarsely grated TJ's Parmesan-ish

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 6

The other day, someone at Rancho Gordo posted a link to this white bean and orange salsa on Facebook.  I had small white alubia blanca beans already cooked and nice cara cara oranges from the farmers market.  Everything but the cilantro.  I took care of that this AM with a quick shopping trip, mixed it all up and I'm calling it lunch:

IMG_4449.thumb.jpg.f89dc83cee20a89c70fbee3cd4493cf0.jpg

Edited by blue_dolphin (log)
  • Like 10

5 hours ago, blue_dolphin said:

The other day, someone at Rancho Gordo posted a link to this white bean and orange salsa on Facebook.  I had small white alubia blanca beans already cooked and nice cara cara oranges from the farmers market.  Everything but the cilantro.  I took care of that this AM with a quick shopping trip, mixed it all up and I'm calling it lunch:

IMG_4449.thumb.jpg.f89dc83cee20a89c70fbee3cd4493cf0.jpg

How did you like this? It looks lovely, and I love all the components separately, but the orange seems like a strange addition. Was it good or delicious?

• Like 1

> ^ . . ^ <

17 minutes ago, Thanks for the Crepes said:

How did you like this? It looks lovely, and I love all the components separately, but the orange seems like a strange addition. Was it good or delicious?

I liked it a lot.  I thought the citrus added a nice bright flavor.  I'll make it again, for sure.  Nice change from the black bean and corn salsa/salad that I usually make.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Thanks for the Crepes said:

Orange works well in bean salads.   I often usually use a combo of citrus in mine.  Orange give a little sweetness 

• Like 1

If I can ever fine tongue at a decent price , its on the top of my ToDoList.

I probably have to find a large ethnic market .  these are more towards BOS

after all , I have a nice ChefChoice slicer maturing in its Amazon box , waiting patiently for the Day.

I never thought of Reuben-izing Tongue , but it makes a lot of sense .

• Like 1

I like falafel, but it is next to impossible to come by in these parts except for this place that was close to where I worked.  http://www.lazizah.net/ I would get a falafel sandwich for lunch every so often and when it was good, it was very good. I have tried to make it more than once, but it would just fly apart in the hot oil. Yesterday, I soaked dried chick peas overnight, instead of using canned ones and today I made a bit of progress. As soon as I round up the other ingredients, I will be attempting a sandwich with freshly fried falafel. Anyone make falafel on a regular basis?

HC

IMG_1206.thumb.JPG.8d1178705578cd56e0df2f1bf1149f18.JPG

• Like 5

Bingo.  Canned chickpeas really don't work well. Soaked dried beans is the ticket to getting the right texture

I've made them but it's been a few years.  I'm sure I posted pics here and sure it's been quite a few years.  No sure why. Maybe because the last time I used a 2lb bag of dried beans.  

• Like 1

@blue_dolphin That dish looks lovely!

@HungryChris Aye, as said, you can't use already cooked chickpeas - the proteins are already denatured and it won't hold - just like trying to make bread with cooked flour or breadcrumbs.

I don't make falafel very often (not a fan deep frying and luckily has many of good places to get it everywhere). Do soak the chickpeas in water mixed with salt and baking powder (it will help it get soft while frying) One thing I can easily tell by your photo is that the chickpeas were ground to fine, you want to pulse them only until you get coarse-salt sized grains. The putty should end up really craggy - surface area = crispness.
lavoring wise, I'm a lover of what's called green falafel in Israel -  one made with lots of herbs (cilantro and parsley), but obviously flavor it too your liking. Also, don't forget plenty of cumin, coriander seeds, chili and garlic. Even better if you toast the dry spices.
You can add a little soaked (and drained) bulgur in order to add more texture. Add breadcrumbs if it seems to moist. If you feel fancy, you can roll the falafel in sesame seeds before frying.

I must admit to liking falafel better as a side dish, preferably with hummus, but as a sandwich, my additions will be:

• Tahini sauce, not to thick, with plenty of lemon, a little garlic and don't skimp on salt.
  • Very finely chopped cucumber, tomatoes and onions. A little cabbage is also nice.
  • Finely chopped pickles
  • Zchug (I like the red kind best), or another hot sauce. Harissa and filfel chuma both works well.
  • Like 4

~ Shai N.