• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lunch! What'd ya have? (2017)

blue_dolphin

7 hours ago, Kim Shook said:

Well, since we ARE discussing tuna and I have a tunafish salad sandwich probably once a week for lunch, I should also say that I utterly detest hot canned tuna.  Like tuna casserole.  I had never tasted it until I was an adult and in the early, poor years of our marriage I tried making it.  Mr. Kim said that it tasted like every one he'd ever eaten.  I was appalled that anyone could stomach it.  Years ago, Mr. Kim's mom served us a lunch of curried tuna casserole (her invention).  The suspiciously reddish color of the tuna reminded me of nothing more than 9 Lives.  She is very frugal and frequents the kinds of stores that sell de-labled canned goods for almost nothing and to this day, I believe that we ate cat food casserole.

Kim

freshly poached tuna that has been flaked...,freshly cooked egg noodles...sautéed mushrooms... béchamel with a touch of nutmeg ....mix together and top with  crushed potato chips........

OHHHHHHH KayB reminded me those frozen petit pois need to go in there

Edited by suzilightning (log)
  • Like 2

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

Y'all go ahead and shoot me, but I raised my kids on tuna noodle casserole. Cook egg noodles; can of drained tuna, can of cream of mushroom soup, handful of grated cheese out of the bag, 12-oz bag of frozen green peas. Stir it all up together, stick it in a casserole dish, bake until bubbly. It was far from wonderful, but it was certainly edible, and the kids loved it. And it was quick, which was a requirement when I was shuttling between band practice, softball practice and a volleyball game. 

I'd eat it today. If I were hungry, and it was all that was handy.

• Like 6

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

Pasta with broccoli, spicy Italian sausage and lots of thinly sliced garlic, all topped with a blizzard of grated Romano cheese

IMG_4441.jpg

The photo was taken early in the storm, drifts did eventually build up in the bowl.

There was also a glass of the Ghost Pines Zin I purchased on the recommendation of @JoNorvelleWalker, I believe.  And repurchased based on my own enjoyment of it.

• Like 11

21 hours ago, suzilightning said:

Kim

freshly poached tuna that has been flaked...,freshly cooked egg noodles...sautéed mushrooms... béchamel with a touch of nutmeg ....mix together and top with  crushed potato chips........

OHHHHHHH KayB reminded me those frozen petit pois need to go in there

Just wouldn't work for me.  I don't like fresh tuna - rare fish gives me the shivers and tuna that is cooked through feels 'tough' to me.  Plus, I hate mushrooms.  I am difficult to feed.  I eat almost all meats/fish known to man, every breadstuff I can think of, most fruits found in US stores - but VERY few vegetables.  9_9

• Like 1

Loosely based on an Austrian dumpling recipe, "dumplings with meats". Ninagluck has explained to me what kind of meats are in it.

BlpQm9M.jpg

The Speck came home with me from Hungary. There was my own cured goose meat in this as well. Fried in goose fat.

tE89UAG.jpg

3 different goose breasts. Left one is smoked and brought back from Hungary. Got several from different stalls at the market there but this is the last of them. The other 2 are made by yours truly.

uY46wpO.jpg

Now I know what more to bring back from Hungary next time.

tUgUuyp.jpg

Hard like jerky. Nice with a beer.

2v5X463.jpg

After 2 weeks.

ocjydM6.jpg

After removing the salt I just hang the breast anywhere in my cold kitchen.

6nmvPJH.jpg

Also part of lunch

8KcMgms.jpg

Edited by BonVivant (log)
  • Like 15

I don't know what I had for lunch.

no name fish.jpg

In the supermarket they were labelled 黄尾鱼 which means yellow tail fish. That is only slightly more helpful than just 'fish', but with their being literally dozens of fish varieties called yellowtail, I'm still don't know what they are.

But I bought some anyway. When the woman weighed and priced my selection, I noticed that the barcode sticker she printed read "金丝鱼“ or "gold thread fish". Again this name appears to be given to many different species, none of which look like these.

Whatever they are they made a nice lunch. I gutted them, salted them then deep fried them whole. In less than a minute they were good to go.

A bit of lemon juice and I had a very satisfying lunch with some home made bread and butter on the side. I ate six of the critters. They are only 16cm / 6.3 inches long.

fried fish.jpg

Edited by liuzhou
typos (log)
  • Like 12

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

31 minutes ago, liuzhou said:

I don't know what I had for lunch.

no name fish.jpg

In the supermarket they were labelled 黄尾鱼 which means yellow tail fish. That is only slightly more helpful than just 'fish', but with their being literally dozens of fish varieties called yellowtail, I'm still don't know what they are.

But I bought some anyway. When the woman weighed and priced my selection, I noticed that the barcode sticker she printed read "金丝鱼“ or "gold thread fish". Again this name appears to be given to many different species, none of which look like these.

Whatever they are they made a nice lunch. I filleted and gutted them, salted them then deep fried them whole. In less than a minute they were good to go.

A bit of lemon juice and I had a very satisfying lunch with some home made bread and butter on the side. I ate six of the critters. They are only 16cm / 6.3 inches long.

fried fish.jpg

Any sort of ichthyology authorities you can ask? At a  university or whatever? 

Edited by DiggingDogFarm (log)

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

16 minutes ago, DiggingDogFarm said:

Any sort of ichthyology authorities you can ask? At a  university or whatever? 

None that I know of. I think we are a bit too far inland for ichthyologists. Although, to be fair, I haven't looked. I do have good contacts in a couple of Chinese universities, but neither has such a field of study.

• Like 2

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

image.jpeg

On Wednesday Kerry Beal and I popped into Starsky's. This is a beautiful European supermarket and I had no problem picking up a jar of pickled herring and a small hunk of Lachsschinken.  When I arrived home I regretted all the other things I didn't buy but I had already trashed my grocery budget at Cosco! In a month or two time I will do my best to make a return trip when my larder is much  more in need of replenishment. 

Edited by Anna N (log)
  • Like 4

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

57 minutes ago, rotuts said:

nice

i love pickled fish and smoked fish

Lachsschinken  is new to me

http://www.schallerweber.com/product/lachsschinken/

\Sooo    does it taste like smoked Salmon ?

I didn't think so!  It is quite delicious but smoked salmon....nah. 

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

It's only called "salmon ham" because it has a nice red color and tender meat as the salmon.

In Germany there's also the "Parisian salmon ham", which is the same Lachsschinken but it's wrapped with bacon. This keeps the meat juicy. It should be sliced extremely thinly. (I'm thinking of that Seinfeld episode... Kramer got a meat slicer, he slices the meat so thin that he can't see it!)

Lachsschinken is nice with asparagus, on sliced bread and other things.

Speaking of which, 8 more weeks til asparagus season!

The darker meat is similar to Lachsschinken but then beef. There's also the horse version.

hkS8I3m.jpg

• Like 7

9 minutes ago, ninagluck said:

@BonVivant, your Fleischnockerl look superb! btw, I am going to Hungary tomorrow!

Thanks! My Fleischnockerl has room for improvement. Need some tips from you and other sources. Gonna make "Eiernockerln"/dumplings with eggs soon.

Enjoy Hungary. I did very much.