• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

kayb

kayb

To fix name of restaurant

Oh....goodness. I may die, I'm so full. And it was so good.

20171229_142249.thumb.jpg.ed9731a0b1e59ddeaaee448b330af8f7.jpg

Youngest daughter and I are road tripping and stopped by a diner for a late lunch/early dinner. Walking in, I glanced at another diner's plate and saw some scrumptious looking onion rings.

I ordered the hamburger steak platter, and asked for onion rings instead of the veggies. Got both. When I tasted the first ring, a little whimper escaped. Partly because it was hotter than hell, but mostly because it was the best onion ring I ever tasted. Ultra light, crispy batter, almost tempura style . Thick, sweet, cooked through with just a bit of bite left, onion. They were astounding.

Hamburger steak, which I got minus the gravy but with onions and mushrooms,  was better than a half pound, cooked. Mashed potatoes wanted some salt. I didn't try the green beans. There was a tossed salad, to boot. 

That, my daughter's grill chicken bacon ranch sandwich with fries, a coke and a cup of coffee, set me back the princely total of $23 and change. 

If you're ever traveling through Mountain Home, AR, and hungry, stop off at Brenda's Country Cafe.

kayb

kayb

Oh....goodness. I may die, I'm so full. And it was so good.

20171229_142249.thumb.jpg.ed9731a0b1e59ddeaaee448b330af8f7.jpg

Youngest daughter and I are road tripping and stopped by a diner for a late lunch/early dinner. Walking in, I glanced at another diner's plate and saw some scrumptious looking onion rings.

I ordered the hamburger steak platter, and asked for onion rings instead of the veggies. Got both. When I tasted the first ring, a little whimper escaped. Partly because it was hotter than hell, but mostly because it was the best onion ring I ever tasted. Ultra light, crispy batter, almost tempura style . Thick, sweet, cooked through with just a bit of bite left, onion. They were astounding.

Hamburger steak, which I got minus the gravy but with onions and mushrooms,  was better than a half pound, cooked. Mashed potatoes wanted some salt. I didn't try the green beans. There was a tossed salad, to boot. 

That, my daughter's grill chicken bacon ranch sandwich with fries, a coke and a cup of coffee, set me back the princely total of $23 and change. 

If you're ever traveling through Mountain Home, AR, and hungry, stop off at Brenda's Country Kitchen.