• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

liuzhou

liuzhou

Yesterday, took my can of tuna from the pantry (actually a shelf in the kitchen - China doesn't do pantries) to photograph it for the post three above this.

After posting, I left the can sitting on my desk as I got busy with wasting time on the interweb. For some reason, the tuna didn't disappear overnight and this morning sat there looking sad. I decided to take one for the team and attempt to try to make it worth eating.

I first thought of hiding it in a powerful sauce with 217 masking ingredients. but felt that was cheating, So, I then decided to go in the opposite direction and keep it as simple as possible without just slurping it from the can - which clearly wouldn't work.

So this is what ensued for lunch today.

tuna capers rice.jpg

I cooked some rice, drained the tuna well. Flaked and piled the fish on top of the rice with some capers. Seasoned mightily with sashimi togarishi and sea salt. The ingredients other than the rice were all rather cold so I nuked the plated dish long enough to heat them through then sat down to lunch.

To be honest, to my shock, it wasn't at all bad. Not up there with Doc Marten Casserole to be sure, but perfectly edible. I don't think Heston is going to be calling me up for the recipe, just yet. Probably needs a few tweaks first.

The big question is "would I make it again?" Probably. I've pencilled in May 27th, 2035. If we haven't already eaten all the world's tuna, by then.

liuzhou

liuzhou

Yesterday, took my can of tuna from the pantry (actually a shelf in the kitchen - China doesn't do pantries) to photograph it for the post three above this.

After posting, I left it sitting on my desk as I got busy with wasting time on the interweb. For some reason, it didn't disappear overnight and this morning sat there looking sad. I decided to take one for the team and attempt to try to make it worth eating.

I first thought of hiding it it a powerful sauce with 217 masking ingredients. but felt that was cheating, So, I then decided to go in the opposite direction and keep it as simple as possible without just slurping it from the can - which clearly wouldn't work.

So this is what ensued for lunch today.

tuna capers rice.jpg

I cooked some rice, drained the tuna well. Flaked and piled the fish on top of the rice with some capers. Seasoned mightily with sashimi togarishi and sea salt. The ingredients other than the rice were all rather cold so I nuked the plated dish long enough to heat them through then sat down to lunch.

To be honest, to my shock, it wasn't at all bad. Not up there with Doc Marten Casserole to be sure, but perfectly edible. I don't think Heston is going to be calling me up for the recipe, just yet. Probably needs a few tweaks first.

The big question is "would I make it again?" Probably. I've pencilled in May 27th, 2035. If we haven't already eaten all the world's tuna, by then.