• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

St Germain vs Giffard Elderflower - thoughts?

PassionateAmateur

Finally used up bottle of St Germain (which took YEARS -- was quite an unattractive brown by the time we found the bottom).  In shopping for a replacement I see that Giffard also does an elderflower at the exact same price point -- does anyone have any flavor compare/contrast thoughts they could share?

Thanks! 

Giffard liqueurs that I have had have generally been OK, not that I sit and drink them by themselves, but have never had the Elderflower. If the price point is the same I would probably default to the St. Germain. If nothing else it is likely the more attractive bottle! 

If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man. ~Mark Twain

Some people are like a Slinky. They are not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs...

~tanstaafl2

Only one way to find out! Sounds like you should give the Giffard a shot.

Let us know what you think.

If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man. ~Mark Twain

Some people are like a Slinky. They are not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs...

~tanstaafl2

I replaced my elderly St. Germain with a bottle of Bertina Elderflower Liqueur, made in Finland.  I think it was about $22 vs $29 for St. Germain, not a huge difference for a home bar where it lasts forever so I bought it more to try something different than to save money.

The dregs of St. Germain were so oxidized that I didn't compare them but the Bertina has the same sweet, floral, lychee, fruity flavors as I remember from a fresh bottle of St. Germain.

The Bertina comes in a swing-top wire bale type bottle, not as stunning as the St. Germain, but rather more re-usable.

• 1 month later...