• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create an account.

Sign in to follow this  
PassionateAmateur

St Germain vs Giffard Elderflower - thoughts?

Finally used up bottle of St Germain (which took YEARS -- was quite an unattractive brown by the time we found the bottom).  In shopping for a replacement I see that Giffard also does an elderflower at the exact same price point -- does anyone have any flavor compare/contrast thoughts they could share?

Thanks! 

Giffard liqueurs that I have had have generally been OK, not that I sit and drink them by themselves, but have never had the Elderflower. If the price point is the same I would probably default to the St. Germain. If nothing else it is likely the more attractive bottle! 

Thanks.  I was very happy with another Giffard I got a while back -- peach, I think -- I remember it was not the horrid cloying cough medicine I'd feared.  St G is so Grandma's Hand Lotion to me, I was wondering if the Giffard might a little less of a perfume bomb.

Only one way to find out! Sounds like you should give the Giffard a shot.

Let us know what you think.

For elderflower in cocktails, I actually prefer it in syrup form, rather than cordial form... The Ikea Fladersaft syrup does the job just fine for me.

• Like 1

I replaced my elderly St. Germain with a bottle of Bertina Elderflower Liqueur, made in Finland.  I think it was about $22 vs $29 for St. Germain, not a huge difference for a home bar where it lasts forever so I bought it more to try something different than to save money.

The dregs of St. Germain were so oxidized that I didn't compare them but the Bertina has the same sweet, floral, lychee, fruity flavors as I remember from a fresh bottle of St. Germain.

The Bertina comes in a swing-top wire bale type bottle, not as stunning as the St. Germain, but rather more re-usable.

Finally put the Giffard to use and have to give it a thumbs-up relative to St Germain.  The Giffard is a little less synthetic-ish.  Though still with that grandma's guest soaps vibe.

• Like 1

Sign in to follow this