• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

FrogPrincesse

What Are You Cooking Sous Vide Today? (Part 3)

We had something profoundly good last night.  We purchased these beef ribs from Whole Foods a couple weeks ago.  I don't remember the price, but it had to have been a decent deal for Ronnie to spring for it lol.  We sawed them to make a little rack of short ribs and were left with these which we cold smoked at 185 F for 4 hours.  

thumbnail_IMG_6922.jpg.0b5987c3c8aa4227d913b475dc1b4790.jpg

Then I vac packed them and put them in the water bath on Saturday for 24 hours at 155 F.

Ohhhhhh they were melty and tender, but not totally falling apart.  Perfect.

thumbnail_IMG_6949.jpg.e8456cd36315f3209788c5f9d9083c7b.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_6951.jpg.dce0341ed4562337cb9fd78ea5620ef9.jpg

• Like 9
  • Delicious 3

I have a small sirloin roast I would like to cook sous vide at 133F.   It is a AAA grade and measures about 5" in length and about 3" thick and weighs about 2 pounds.  Any idea for how long I should cook this sous vide?  My instinct suggests about 10 hours.  Thanks.

I am thinking about three to four hours....more towards the four.

Edited by Okanagancook (log)
  • Like 1

Just a couple of boned turkey breasts at 150f for 18 hours....turned out like confit.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Okanagancook said:

I am thinking about three to four hours....more towards the four.

I initially thought about 4 then the more I looked, the more varied the times, right up to 29 hours which to my mind is waaaaay too long.  I don't want to eat mush.  I say that from experience.  I'd like to use this meat mainly for sandwiches, like Philly Steak .

Seeing it’s sirloin, ten hours will give you a tender roast for sure.  Four hours would still be steak like.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thanks.  I decided to go with 10 hours.  They are on sale this week for a good price so I may get another one and try 4 hours.  

for Tb I do 142.5 for 6 h

perfect for dinner , perfect for slicing for a sandwish

140 was a bit to firm , and 145 a bit too much Jus in the bag.

• Like 2

On 9/25/2019 at 11:59 PM, Anna N said:

Well I thought I would sous vide a duck egg today.   I probably did not do enough due diligence on this one. I did find a recommendation for 63°C for 45 minutes. Nope. Didn’t work for my egg.

Not exactly the white I was looking for. 

So I popped it into the microwave for one minute after making sure there was sufficient shell peeled off to avoid an explosion.  This alien looking creature was not exactly what I wanted either. The microwave definitely toughened the white most unpleasantly. 

But I was determined.

For next time, try bringing some water up to a simmer and drop the partially cooked egg into that. Finish as for a poached egg. The white will set without doing bak things to the yolk. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Nick Reynolds, aka "nickrey"

"The Internet is full of false information." Plato
My eG Foodblog

I did some huge pork chops that I rubbed with Penzey’s Bavarian spice (brown mustard, rosemary, garlic, thyme, bay leaf, and sage), put in a vacuum bag and froze last month.  I did them at 144F for four hours.  Pork chops out of the bag before searing rival hairless cats for ugliness:

DSCN0262.JPG.76aa35c14e41511c83519d1deb5badf3.JPG

They were the right temperature, though:

DSCN0263.JPG.d2e7d69ba2bb09bcd5b2155a00480c5f.JPG

Plated:

DSCN0265.JPG.281166c001a830c6d5251134fce066cf.JPG

I had to apply some heat to the sides with a torch.

The chops were incredibly tender and moist:

DSCN0268.JPG.7573b994596dd44dca2f57c04a6ce67d.JPG

What sous vide does for regular old supermarket meat is amazing. 

• Like 6
  • Delicious 2

• Similar Content

• By Okanagancook
      I was reminded the other day of the egg-in-plastic-wrap-poach method.

• By MSRadell
      GE is entering the SV field in an innovative way. They are doing a crowdfunding approach through one of their Innovation technology centers. The device itself is also innovative in that it uses a Inductive cooktop for the heating element with a wireless temperature sensor. It's also unique in that it does not include any type of water circulation.

Here's a link to the crowdfunding site: https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/paragon-induction-cooktop/

What does everybody think about this entry into the field? If nothing else it certainly shows that SV has gotten the attention of major appliance makers. A few weeks ago GE also announced that one of their new lines of stoves will have the same type of temperature control as this device uses so you can do SV on your stovetop.

• By Luke
      I made the Creme Anglaise recipe from Myhrvold Modernist Cuisine - it did look curdled and lumpy coming out of the zip lock bag as described in the recipe.

I used my stick blender to smooth it out as instructed, but I think I blended it for too long, and it went from lumpy to smooth to watery. Did I make a fatal mistake of over blending the custard?

The recipe does not say how to blend or when to stop.

Hoping one of the gurus can give me guidance before I try this again.

Many Thanks
      Luke
    • By onemorebitedelara.com
      Has anyone used Valrhona Absolut Crystal neutral glaze particularly to thicken a coulis or to glaze a tart?  If so, how did you like it and is there another glaze you think worked as well but is less expensive or can be purchased in smaller quantities?  
    • By kostbill
      Hello.
      I would like to buy some pectinex ultra sp-l.
      However I am worried about the temperature during the shipping time.
      I read that the storage temperature should be between 2 and 8 C. It works best from 15 to 50 C, and if it stays a lot of time in 25 C, it will gradually be deactivated.

It needs a week to come here (Greece), then will it affect its abilities?

Do you know if I can find a document somewhere that explains the gradual loss of power as a function of time and temperature?
      Did you have any experience with pectinex not working well due to bad storage?

Thanks.