• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

FrogPrincesse

What Are You Cooking Sous Vide Today? (Part 3)

Here on HK rabbitnis almost impossible to source, but when we were still living in Germany we had rabbit rather often. My wife - as all Catalans - is very fond of rabbits in their cooked form and I do enjoy it as well. Usually I chopped the whole bunny (or two) up in four pieces, sprinkled with olive oil and salt & pepper (and maybe some Pimenton de la vera) and throw it into a preheated convection oven at full whack. About 5-10 min in it gets golden on the surface, by which time I properly covered the deep oven tray with some tin foil and switched the oven off and left the rabbit in. The pieces cooked in the residual heat for maybe 1h or so and came out nice and juicy every single time. Also here, that was before I discovered SV. Am curious now how Shelby’s SV treatment and deep-fry would work out on it ...

• Like 3

I’m attempting to make a Moroccan dish normally cooked in a targine. 

I browned the lamb, I Sous Vide potatoes, carrots and onions at 85c for 90 minutes, added dates, blanched almonds and chicken stock and then into a hoist frying pan with a touch of oil I threw in a bunch of spices. It all went into a bag and into the water bath at 75c 

I’ve never done a long cook at higher temps with vegetables so I’m wondering if they will hold up for the 18 hours I intended on cooking it for. But it’s something I’ve been thinking about for a while so how’s the time to fine out and then refine!

024681D4-CBB4-43F8-8ECA-00B4ED11E23B.jpeg

• Like 5

On 3/23/2019 at 10:18 AM, Shelby said:

Sous vide and then fried chicken.

Brined the chicken in some salt water overnight.  Or maybe it was more like 2 days. 

All ready to go in the water bath at 147F for a couple of hours.

thumbnail_IMG_6048.jpg.cf35b1b932bf14a5c675553dc78813a9.jpg

After--some nice broth in there to make gravy out of

thumbnail_IMG_6049.jpg.6aaf55c73601aed31c61f31eba0d5f7f.jpg

Resting in some buttermilk with a beaten egg

thumbnail_IMG_6050.jpg.cd3f6b0900e779713475384f5627b222.jpg

Then plopped in a bag full of flour seasoned with a bit of garlic, Lawry's salt and lots of black pepper and fried :)

thumbnail_IMG_6051.jpg.b69adbe83807021401d07fc99a524b0a.jpg

That looks great, @Shelby!  I want to try that technique!

• Thanks 1
  • Delicious 1

On 3/23/2019 at 10:18 AM, Shelby said:

Sous vide and then fried chicken.

Brined the chicken in some salt water overnight.  Or maybe it was more like 2 days. 

All ready to go in the water bath at 147F for a couple of hours.

thumbnail_IMG_6048.jpg.cf35b1b932bf14a5c675553dc78813a9.jpg

After--some nice broth in there to make gravy out of

thumbnail_IMG_6049.jpg.6aaf55c73601aed31c61f31eba0d5f7f.jpg

Resting in some buttermilk with a beaten egg

thumbnail_IMG_6050.jpg.cd3f6b0900e779713475384f5627b222.jpg

Then plopped in a bag full of flour seasoned with a bit of garlic, Lawry's salt and lots of black pepper and fried :)

thumbnail_IMG_6051.jpg.b69adbe83807021401d07fc99a524b0a.jpg

That's brilliant.  I have some jumbo chicken wings.  Think that technique would work with wings?

• Like 2

On 3/23/2019 at 11:10 AM, rotuts said:

the rabbit i bought , at the time

came from a high-end meat market in the area I grew up in

I used to see frozen rabbit from Pel-Freez Foods in grocery stores. I haven't seen it since their animal welfare concerns but they are apparently still in business. 

The name always caught my eye as we used to have Pel-Freez prepare custom antibodies when I worked in the lab.    I always wondered if they used the same rabbits to make antibodies and then sold the meat.

• Sad 1

Posted (edited)

interesting.

Ive also done immune work with with rabbits.

Id bet  ...................

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, EatingBen said:

I browned the lamb, I Sous Vide potatoes, carrots and onions at 85c for 90 minutes, added dates, blanched almonds and chicken stock and then into a hoist frying pan with a touch of oil I threw in a bunch of spices. It all went into a bag and into the water bath at 75c 

I’ve never done a long cook at higher temps with vegetables so I’m wondering if they will hold up for the 18 hours I intended on cooking it for. But it’s something I’ve been thinking about for a while so how’s the time to fine out and then refine!

Evaporation will be an issue if the vessel is uncovered

53 minutes ago, gfweb said:

Evaporation will be an issue if the vessel is uncovered

Fully covered cambro container except where the poly science water circulator cutout is but I’ve done three day cooks and haven’t had to top it up. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
16 hours ago, EatingBen said:

I’m attempting to make a Moroccan dish normally cooked in a tagine. 

I'm very curious how this turns out. My long practise is to SV the lamb at low temperature for multiple days and then, a couple hours before dinner, to cook the rest of the tagine on the stovetop with a little pre-made stock.

Edited by TdeV Clarity (log)

35 minutes ago, TdeV said:

I'm very curious how this turns out. My long practise is to SV the lamb at low temperature for multiple days and then, a couple hours before dinner, to cook the rest of the tagine on the stovetop with a little pre-made stock.

I’ll have a detailed answer for you tomorrow night, its in the fridge chilling but I can’t try it today because I’ve a wedding to go too. 

It looks appropriate to tagine I’ve had in the past the lamb feels tender when pressed and I’m hoping it’s taken on a lovely braised texture. The vegetables aren’t mushy which I was concerned about and there is some liquid in the bag but not large amounts of it. 

I am quietly excited about it but I know full well it could end up being a disaster! 

• Like 2

Interested to see what you think of the spices. I do a  a lamb shanks with Moroccan spices and found the spices didn't combine well in the SV so I precooked them on the stove top, let them cool and then did the SV. Will be also interested if the spices penetrated into the potatoes and other veges.

Love those spuds you cook in a stew for hours, firm but slightly mushy on the outside and full of stew flavor.....

We need more experimentation like this!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Bernie said:

Interested to see what you think of the spices. I do a  a lamb shanks with Moroccan spices and found the spices didn't combine well in the SV so I precooked them on the stove top, let them cool and then did the SV. Will be also interested if the spices penetrated into the potatoes and other veges.

Love those spuds you cook in a stew for hours, firm but slightly mushy on the outside and full of stew flavor.....

We need more experimentation like this!

Years ago I picked up a tip to fry spices in a fry pan with some oil before using them in anything like slow cooker, or for long slow cooks makes the spices taste better and gives the chance for the flavours to combine a bit. For Sous Vide I rarely ever use anything more then salt and occasionally BBQ sauce for pork and chicken. So we will see how it turns out, I fried the spices first before adding it and they smelt amazing but I don’t know if I used to much or not enough. 

I am looking forward to tomorrow nights dinner though and already have the cous cous planned

Decided to experiment with frog legs --sous vide, then fried.

Bagged and ready to go in the bath at 135F for about 45 mins.

thumbnail_IMG_6058.jpg.8f2e5631e582326b39084d9d31b28866.jpg

After

thumbnail_IMG_6059.jpg.5506abeacaedf1db2c7bc0dbe85a7898.jpg

They got really tender--some fell apart.  I might reduce the time down to 30 mins. when make these again.

I did a beer batter--equal parts flour and cornstarch with enough beer to make it a bit runny but still thick enough that it leaves a trail when you drag a fork through it. I also decided to dip each leg into a bit of cornstarch before dipping in the batter.  Not sure that was needed, but wanted to make sure the batter stuck.  And it did.

thumbnail_IMG_6060.jpg.7588c4d7775697a6ca2a45d2546fdc7c.jpg

Overall, I call this a success :) 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 3

@Shelby

Im pretty much dying here w the above

are the FG's  tough when you've cooked them before ?

Ive only had them a few times , and Tasty they are.

rather than reduce the time , but you might

lower the temp to 130.1

30  min or so

then try again.

were these Fz ?    who know where the FG's came from when I had them

in the USA Im betting Fz

in FR can't say

I sought in FR there are Frog Commercial Industries that rival Tyson

who knows ?

Im betting w there  various Birds you get , and fly and work for their dinner

the Legs  SV  then Fried might be a true Hit.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, rotuts said:

@Shelby

Im pretty much dying here w the above

are the FG's  tough when you've cooked them before ?

Ive only had them a few times , and Tasty they are.

rather than reduce the time , but you might

lower the temp to 130.1

30  min or so

then try again.

were these Fz ?    who know where the FG's came from when I had them

in the USA Im betting Fz

in FR can't say

I sought in FR there are Frog Commercial Industries that rival Tyson

who knows ?

Im betting w there  various Birds you get , and fly and work for their dinner

the Legs  SV  then Fried might be a true Hit.

Ok, thanks.  Good idea.  I'll reduce the temp too.

Yes, these are frozen legs that I bought from Cajun Grocer online a while back.  I'm not sure where they get them, though.  

Frog legs are tricky for me.  If I fry them a smidge too long, they are tough--and I seem to always fry them a smidge too long lol.  So, like the chicken, having them already cooked and then frying to the perfect color and texture seemed easier for me.

I'll be doing pheasant breasts next....and then, when hunting season comes back around, I'll do some thighs and legs (unless I have some in the freezer....which I might....)

• Like 3

@Shelby

thanks

I have Big Ideas for you

"""  croquettes ""

why ?

consider :

Turkey C's

after Thanks Giving   w the left overs  ?

w a bit kof stuffing in the C 'sa

more later

as you deep fry 

2 Kodos your  way\

the CR's   after SV at 130 are interesting

more later

• Like 1

On 3/24/2019 at 7:04 PM, EatingBen said:

So this worked well. Actually surprisingly well for a first attempt. 

Things that went well, the spices which where fried off in a pan first was absolutely spot on and had a fantastic balance, The almonds end up fantastically but are nicely poached with a nice soft crunch. The lamb had the perfect texture which is exactly what I wanted, same with the carrots and onions. 

Things that didn’t go as planned. The lamb was a little dry, next time I’ll cook for less time. Needed more liquids, more chicken stock for next time. The potatoes are texturally ruining the dish so I’m picking them out they weren’t cooked enough next time I’ll either leave them out or get them nicely cooked. Needed more sweetness more dates next time. 

Since there is about 6 meals the first time I had it as it, the second time I added more stock and removed the potatoes. Adding stock reduced the thickness of the sauce but I’ll add ultra tex 4 to hopefully give it more mouth coating without affecting the flavours too much. 

All in all this is a success that I’m going to build on. 

• Like 4

@EatingBen

thank you for reporting on your lamb dish

for me , dryness 9n meat SV is related to temp  not so much time.  but time is of course a factor.

higher temps squeeze juice out of meat , thus dryness.   

same principle applies to traditional braises;  they are better the next day possibly because juice reenters meat.

consider a temp of no more than 145 F for the lam , indeed 140  maybe.   ( 62.5 C and 60 C )

at those temps you might need to add some time for the tenderness you are looking for.

lower temps for meat squeeze out less meat juices , but need more time for tenderness if the meat is not already tender.

browning for some before SV is problematic for some , so consider this.

" braise " via SV probably needs mrs than one step.

good ;uck and keep track of things some way so you can refer back to them

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I agree with @rotuts about the temperature for cooking the meat.

Edited by Okanagancook (log)

Agreed.

also, there is a push in some circles to 'rename' Sous Vide as 'low temperature cooking'.

Which I think might be over simplistic (which by the way isn't a synonym for "simple", and it drives me up a tree how often I hear it used that way, but...) but at least makes the point that SV cooking is most useful for its ability to maintain accurate, controlled low temperatures over time.

But the time you're cooking at !80F or so, you might as well be braising in an oven or on the stove top.

• Like 2

On 3/27/2019 at 10:01 PM, rotuts said:

@EatingBen

thank you for reporting on your lamb dish

for me , dryness 9n meat SV is related to temp  not so much time.  but time is of course a factor.

higher temps squeeze juice out of meat , thus dryness.   

same principle applies to traditional braises;  they are better the next day possibly because juice reenters meat.

consider a temp of no more than 145 F for the lam , indeed 140  maybe.   ( 62.5 C and 60 C )

at those temps you might need to add some time for the tenderness you are looking for.

lower temps for meat squeeze out less meat juices , but need more time for tenderness if the meat is not already tender.

browning for some before SV is problematic for some , so consider this.

" braise " via SV probably needs mrs than one step.

good ;uck and keep track of things some way so you can refer back to them

Going backwards a bit from your reply. 

I've found browning before to be problematic especially with Australian lamb, depending on where you get it you get different types and ages. I had assumed the lamb I had gotten was older and tougher, but it wasn't. I tried cooking a new portion at the same temp but for only 6 hours and it had the texture I wanted, it was much less dry and much closer to what I was wanting. When I say dry as well I do not mean that clawing unpalatable dryness that is common with overcooked meat more I missed the mark with time and temp in sous vide and the average person would think that meat was excellent but I would consider it sub par to what I'm used too. 

I will however give a lower temp a go, for lamb I love the braised texture especially in stews and pies so I'll keep trying for that but the lamb is younger then I wanted so it hopefully will work and I have a lot of it in my freezer. 

Overall I'm happy with a but, so I'll keep working on that! 

20 hours ago, weedy said:

Agreed.

also, there is a push in some circles to 'rename' Sous Vide as 'low temperature cooking'.

Which I think might be over simplistic (which by the way isn't a synonym for "simple", and it drives me up a tree how often I hear it used that way, but...) but at least makes the point that SV cooking is most useful for its ability to maintain accurate, controlled low temperatures over time.

But the time you're cooking at !80F or so, you might as well be braising in an oven or on the stove top.

Sous Side is precision cooking, not necessarily "low temperature" 

I hate slow cookers, all of them. Everyone has their own idea of the right temp and everyone I've used requires massive portions and those that are smaller end up being so hot they are useless. With sous vide I can do slow cooking at the temp I want in a bag and have my own temperature that I choose and know is safe as well. 

I think Sous Vide is a tool like any other, Why limit myself to just a stove top or an oven for a certain style of cooking that would require me to be present and active during the cooking. I can throw it all into a bag and seal then come back when ever I'm meant to or later and it'll still be good. Trying doing that on a stove top or oven. 

Don't get me wrong, I love making long slow braised legs of meat in the oven and doing the whole roasted vegetables and making gravy and everything else that goes with making a meal of that nature but it's not something I long to do on weekends very often and never for just myself. 

Sous Vide is just a vessel of water, heated with precision and the person is left to their own devices to figure out how to do whatever they want to do. So I use it. 

• Like 1

@EatingBen, once I had had lamb leg/shoulder done at 143F (62C) for 48 hours, I was hooked. Lately I've been using 131F (55C) for 24 hours following something Douglas Baldwin wrote about on an eGullet thread. Finish with a broiler or a blow torch.

Divine, I tell you, divine!

20 hours ago, weedy said:

Agreed.

Cat's out of the bag on the name. I bought some dodgy frozen meat pies that advertised "Sous Vide cooked beef". Even if people don't know what it means, they know it is gourmet.

It's almost never bad to feed someone.

• Similar Content

• By kostbill
      Hello.
      I would like to buy some pectinex ultra sp-l.
      However I am worried about the temperature during the shipping time.
      I read that the storage temperature should be between 2 and 8 C. It works best from 15 to 50 C, and if it stays a lot of time in 25 C, it will gradually be deactivated.

It needs a week to come here (Greece), then will it affect its abilities?

Do you know if I can find a document somewhere that explains the gradual loss of power as a function of time and temperature?
      Did you have any experience with pectinex not working well due to bad storage?

Thanks.
    • By Galchic
      Hello, folks, thanks for reading.

My husband thinks, I should start selling my popcorn seasonings (which I make for my family), it’s a good product. But I'm not sure if it’s interesting to other people... So, what do you think, guys?

Our story: 
      We’ve bought an air popper machine, but popcorn came out pretty tasteless. Then, we’ve bought different “popcorn seasoning” mixes... But it always ends with all the seasoning at the bottom of the bowl. Then, we've added butter, oil and so on before seasoning...  we got soggy, chewy popcorn. Lot’s of disappointments…

When we almost gave up… the magic happened! I figured out the way to make seasonings that:
      Stick to popcorn, but not sticky to fingers (or T-shirt  , Easy to apply, May be pre cooked in bulk and stored… And popcorn appears crunchy, tasty, thoroughly covered with seasoning.  
      Sounds good, yep? Now, when I want to treat myself  - I only need 2 mins to turn tasteless popped popcorn to a real treat.  
      The only moment - it request 1 extra effort: after you toss it over popcorn, you need to microwave it for 1 min, and stir after.

So, I was wondering, if you like popcorn like myself - would this seasoning be interesting for you to purchase? Are you ready for a little extra work (microwave & stir) in the goal to flavor popcorn, or it feels too much effort?

As I have no experience in manufacturing and retail, your answers would help me to make a very important decision - to dive in or not... 

Thanks in advance for your answers, it means the world to me.

• By lindaj1
      Is there any recipe from the modernist universe or any other galaxy to make ketogenic (low carb) puff pastry and strudel type doughs?  Unusual ingredients OK.  There must be a way...
    • By haresfur
      I got to thinking after the disgusting job of separating globs of fat from sous vide short ribs and debating never doing them that way again. If the fat renders out in a braise, but not in the sous vide, what temperature would you need to turn the fat liquid to get rid of it? Is it below well-done or do you really have to cook the shit out of it? Is it just temperature or a time&temperature thing?

Along those lines, what happens with marbled, tender cuts? where is the sweet spot between solid fat and something more palatable?
    • By Daily Gullet Staff
      By John Sconzo

The Daily Gullet is proud to present this, the first in a multi-part, front-row report on the recent "Spain and the World Table" conference. Watch for subsequent installments in this topic.

In his introduction of Ferran Adria, Thomas Keller -- perhaps the most celebrated American chef ever -- described four elements that go into making a great chef. The chef must be aware. Once aware of one’s culinary and other surroundings that chef can then be inspired, which leads to the ability to interpret those surroundings. But a great chef does not stop there. Instead, the great chef continues to evolve. Ferran Adria, perhaps more than any other chef who has ever lived, is the embodiment of those four elements.

The moment that Ferran Adria strode towards Thomas Keller on the stage at the CIA/Greystone’s World of Flavors’ “Spain and the World Table” Conference was electric -- as if a giant Van de Graf generator had been turned on. The feeling didn’t subside when Adria took the stage from Keller; it only became more pronounced as the packed crowd rose to its feet, raining applause, admiration and love on the Spanish master. Adria accepted the response with aplomb, and gave it right back to the audience -- and to his fellow Spanish cocineros, who were standing off to the side. He brought each one up to join him on the stage for a rousing thank-you to the conference organizers, sponsors and participants. Once this emotional release subsided, Adria got down to what everyone had been waiting for -- his discussion and demonstration.

Ferran Adria, with eyes sparkling like the finest cava, began speaking Spanish in a voice as gravelly as the beaches of the Costa Brava, while Conference Chairman Jose Andres translated. The crowd, hushed and straining for every word, moved forward in their seats as Adria explained El Bulli and himself, with a lesson in recent culinary history thrown in. Ferran explained that El Bulli is not a business. While offshoots of El Bulli are operated on a for-profit basis, the restaurant runs without profit as a primary motivation. For example, he said, the greatest difficulty they have is distributing reservations. Given the extraordinary demand and the severely limited supply, he explained that they could simply raise the price of a meal to the point where the supply and demand met. Indeed, the price of a meal at El Bulli is in itself quite reasonable given the stature of the restaurant and well within means of most motivated diners should they be able to get there, and this is how Adria prefers it. He stated that he was not interested in cooking solely for those with the most money. He prefers to work for people with a true interest in exploring the limits of cooking with him. To this end he showed a short film depicting “A Day in the Life . . .” of El Bulli set to the Beatles’ song of the same name. The film showed a couple’s response to the experience.

Ferran’s voyage into creativity began with a visit to Jacques Maxima at Le Chanticleer Restaurant in Nice, France. He learned from Maxima that to be creative is not to copy. This idea changed his entire approach to cooking -- from making classic cuisine to making his own. Aware of elaborate books of French cuisine, Adria resolved to catalogue his work, the results of which are the richly detailed El Bulli books, published by period. These books, as wonderful as they are, are huge and extremely expensive. During his presentation, Adria announced -- and demonstrated -- that the individual dishes photographed and described in a chronology within each book are all now available online at elbulli.com.

He finished the philosophical discussion by talking about the general style of haute cuisine that he and others are engaged in. While others have coined the term “molecular gastronomy” to highlight the scientific component of the creativity involved, Adria rejected it, saying that all cooking is molecular: most of his techniques are in fact rather simple and don’t employ radical new technology. Most of the technology that they do use has been around for some time; they have simply adapted it to their own purposes. Nevertheless, he applauds contributions to gastronomy from Harold McGee and other food scientists, and welcomes their collaboration in the kitchen. He has yet to find a term that describes the movement: as of now, he feels that there really is no good name for this style of cooking.

More than any other single thing, Ferran Adria is known for the use of “foams” in cooking. While he is proud of his achievements with foams, he stressed that while appropriate in some circumstances, the real utility of foams is limited. He bemoans their ubiquity -- and wishes to not be blamed for others’ poor deployment of the concept. In the course of describing this and other techniques, Adria made a point of stating that using them should not be inferred as copying. Techniques and concepts are to be used and shared. He invited everyone to learn and harness whatever they found interesting, and to employ it in to their own pursuits.

Another set of techniques discussed and demonstrated by the master and his assistant, Rafa Morales from Hacienda Benazuza, included three types of spherification. These included the use of calcium chloride (CaCl) and sodium alginate as well as the converse, and exploration of a new agent, gluconodeltalactone. The original combinations of alginate into CaCl for “caviar” production, and CaCl into alginate for larger “spheres” have chemistry-related limits as to what can be sphericized. In private correspondence, Harold McGee explained to me that Adria described encapsulating a mussel in its own juice. While this would make the dish technically an aspic, unlike conventional aspics it remains a liquid. Adria said that though gluconodeltalactone is very new, and they are just beginning to get a handle on it, he is very excited by it. He also demonstrated a machine for spherification on a larger scale than they had originally been able to do, as well as liquid nitrogen and freeze-drying (lyophilization) techniques. At the conclusion of his demonstration -- and thus the Conference -- the audience once again awarded him a standing ovation.

While Adria’s appearance was the culmination of the conference, the energy it produced was not just because of his stature in the world of gastronomy -- it was also due to the excitement generated by the conference that preceded it. If there had previously been any doubt, Thomas Keller’s welcome of Adria was a clarion: Spanish cuisine has landed on North American shores and is finding a niche in the North American psyche. Spanish cuisine -- in its multifaceted, delicious entirety -- lives here, too.

+ + + + +

John M. Sconzo, M.D., aka docsconz, is an anesthesiologist practicing in upstate New York. He grew up in Brooklyn in an Italian-American home, in which food was an important component of family life. It still is. His passions include good food, wine and travel. John's gastronomic interests in upstate northeastern New York involve finding top-notch local producers of ingredients and those who use them well. A dedicated amateur, John has no plans to ditch his current career for one in the food industry. Host, New York.