Jump to content
  • Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What Are You Cooking Sous Vide Today? (Part 3)


Recommended Posts

Bumped into some interesting Red Boat reading today...

 

Edited by BetD
Am an idiot about posting, apparently... sorry (log)
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

"There are no mistakes in bread baking, only more bread crumbs"

*Bernard Clayton, Jr.

Link to post
Share on other sites

@Shelby

 

that really does look nice.

 

have you tried lower temps , but for longer ?  both SV and Smoking ?

 

I can't say much about Melty Fat, as it might not appeal to me

 

I do think Lower / Longer   might give you a tenderness you like

 

and at the same time , keep more Jus in the meat , for extra meat flavor.

 

that's just my quirk .

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, rotuts said:

@Shelby

 

that really does look nice.

 

have you tried lower temps , but for longer ?  both SV and Smoking ?

 

I can't say much about Melty Fat, as it might not appeal to me

 

I do think Lower / Longer   might give you a tenderness you like

 

and at the same time , keep more Jus in the meat , for extra meat flavor.

 

that's just my quirk .

Thank you!

 

I have tried lower and slower.....it's good, but not the "brisket" that I was looking for, you know?

1 minute ago, Okanagancook said:

Very nice @Shelby.  It looks to be very moist.   Also looks like 1/2 a brisket.

Thank you!  It's actually probably a third of a brisket lol.  

  • Thanks 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

I know some of you have had success with sous vide pork tenderloin. I'm looking for advice. I bought a pork tenderloin (the pair, actually) and pan-cooked one today to great success. Pork tenderloin can be dry if overcooked, but thanks to a dandy marinade, attentive pan work and probably dumb luck I made one of those dishes that I'd be proud to produce again.

 

All that said, I'm considering doing a sous vide treatment for the other tenderloin to see how well that works. Right now it's been rubbed with vegetable oil and a light dusting of @rancho_gordo's smoked pimentón paprika. The silverskin has been removed. The tail has been tucked under so that the meat is a fairly uniform 2" thickness x 4" width in the vacuum bag. The total weight is about 11/4 pounds. 

 

I don't want to dry this out, and of course having blundered into something wonderful once I have a standard to meet for the next experiment. What do y'all recommend for time, temperature and finishing? Yes, I know I can look at Anova and Chefsteps, but I'm in a roomful of experts here. For those of you who like pork tenderloin done sous vide, what's your favorite treatment?

  • Like 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)

"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Link to post
Share on other sites

To return to my "chuck filet" experiment, recall the package had two twin steaks.  The other day I simply grilled one steak ten minutes or so on the Philips:

 

Filet03082019.png

 

 

Tonight I cooked one steak sous vide 56C for two hours and a half, then dried and seared in a pan with smoking oil:

 

Filet03122019.png

 

 

Both steaks were consumed in their entirety.  As my be seen the sous vide seared steak had considerable crust.  However this steak dissociated at the muscle boundaries so it was not as pretty.

 

What is most remarkable:  the grilled steak filled the whole apartment with the scent of steak.  The meat tasted like steak, in a good way I don't oft experience.  In contrast the sous vide steak didn't taste like of much of anything.

 

  • Like 5
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Smithy said:

I know some of you have had success with sous vide pork tenderloin. I'm looking for advice. I bought a pork tenderloin (the pair, actually) and pan-cooked one today to great success. Pork tenderloin can be dry if overcooked, but thanks to a dandy marinade, attentive pan work and probably dumb luck I made one of those dishes that I'd be proud to produce again.

 

All that said, I'm considering doing a sous vide treatment for the other tenderloin to see how well that works. Right now it's been rubbed with vegetable oil and a light dusting of @rancho_gordo's smoked pimentón paprika. The silverskin has been removed. The tail has been tucked under so that the meat is a fairly uniform 2" thickness x 4" width in the vacuum bag. The total weight is about 11/4 pounds. 

 

I don't want to dry this out, and of course having blundered into something wonderful once I have a standard to meet for the next experiment. What do y'all recommend for time, temperature and finishing? Yes, I know I can look at Anova and Chefsteps, but I'm in a roomful of experts here. For those of you who like pork tenderloin done sous vide, what's your favorite treatment?

 

I do mine at 140F for 3 hours followed by a fast sear.  Pink all the way through.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Smithy said:

I know some of you have had success with sous vide pork tenderloin. I'm looking for advice. I bought a pork tenderloin (the pair, actually) and pan-cooked one today to great success. Pork tenderloin can be dry if overcooked, but thanks to a dandy marinade, attentive pan work and probably dumb luck I made one of those dishes that I'd be proud to produce again.

 

All that said, I'm considering doing a sous vide treatment for the other tenderloin to see how well that works. Right now it's been rubbed with vegetable oil and a light dusting of @rancho_gordo's smoked pimentón paprika. The silverskin has been removed. The tail has been tucked under so that the meat is a fairly uniform 2" thickness x 4" width in the vacuum bag. The total weight is about 11/4 pounds. 

 

I don't want to dry this out, and of course having blundered into something wonderful once I have a standard to meet for the next experiment. What do y'all recommend for time, temperature and finishing? Yes, I know I can look at Anova and Chefsteps, but I'm in a roomful of experts here. For those of you who like pork tenderloin done sous vide, what's your favorite treatment?

2 1/2 hours at 135F and then a quick sear :) 

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

@Smithy

 

Im a fan of rare pork.    w SV its a snap , and there are no issues w pork @ 130.

 

I don't buy tenderloin as for me it doenst have a lot of flavor , just bland tenderness

 

Baldwin recommends 130 F 3-4 hours.    SV will not dry out meat , unless you go to a temp that causes the muscle to contract :

 

that's your Bag Jus.

 

 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

 

I do mine at 140F for 3 hours followed by a fast sear.  Pink all the way through.

 

42 minutes ago, Shelby said:

2 1/2 hours at 135F and then a quick sear :) 

 

What do you do about seasonings, either during the sous vide bath or during the sear stage? As @rotuts points out there may be an issue of blandness that needs to be overcome. 

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)

"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Link to post
Share on other sites

Id just coat you PT before you bag and cook w the seasonings of your choice.

 

I can't say if salt will draw out moisture from the meat. for a 3 hour cook.

 

I learned some things recently from Thomas Keller and Gordon Ramsay on their 

 

Master Class videos :    use pepper after you sear , as it will burn during the searing.

 

and don't reflexively use pepper , as in  " S & P "

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Smithy said:

 

 

What do you do about seasonings, either during the sous vide bath or during the sear stage? As @rotuts points out there may be an issue of blandness that needs to be overcome. 

I salt and pepper before putting it in the bag and that's it.  Salt and pepper are on the table if Ronnie wants more, which he usually does but he's a salt-a-holic lol.

Link to post
Share on other sites

@JoNorvelleWalker

 

thanks you for your analysis of those two steaks.

 

you have pointed out something that a SV system cannot provide :

 

Tantalizing Aromas that linger and affect us when we eat.

 

The Roast Beef done in the Oven.  the Thanksgiving Turkey roasting for hours 

 

the SV steak ' char '  didn't help the steak at all ?

 

my thoughts are this :

 

If KFC  can make a limited edition KFC Candle , that fills you kitchen and home w the

 

#$R^#$)R%^@#^R#%^   scent of KFC   :    $%(Y$(%  Oil , etc all those fried herbs and spices   ...

 

some one can make a Bazillion Units of currency perfecting a

 

SV Candle   

 

ALL I ask for this Outstanding Idea is :

 

20 % for me ,  30 % for eG , and and the maker will get 50 % of a Bazillion Currency Units !

 

the aroma of Fine Cooking really do matter.

 

Ill leave the whole idea to anyone   ( 40 % to eG , please ) who does this w an aerosol .

 

hand pump or compressed can 

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, rotuts said:

@JoNorvelleWalker

 

thanks you for your analysis of those two steaks.

 

you have pointed out something that a SV system cannot provide :

 

Tantalizing Aromas that linger and affect us when we eat.

 

The Roast Beef done in the Oven.  the Thanksgiving Turkey roasting for hours 

 

the SV steak ' char '  didn't help the steak at all ?

 

my thoughts are this :

 

If KFC  can make a limited edition KFC Candle , that fills you kitchen and home w the

 

#$R^#$)R%^@#^R#%^   scent of KFC   :    $%(Y$(%  Oil , etc all those fried herbs and spices   ...

 

some one can make a Bazillion Units of currency perfecting a

 

SV Candle   

 

ALL I ask for this Outstanding Idea is :

 

20 % for me ,  30 % for eG , and and the maker will get 50 % of a Bazillion Currency Units !

 

the aroma of Fine Cooking really do matter.

 

Ill leave the whole idea to anyone   ( 40 % to eG , please ) who does this w an aerosol .

 

hand pump or compressed can 

 

Thing is it was not just the aroma.  The sous vide steak did not taste like much at all.  I really don't understand the difference in results.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

@JoNorvelleWalker

 

very interesting.

 

did you season the meat destined for the SV before you bagged it ?

 

which steak did you eat first ?   the PAG'd ?

 

Im happy how beef turns out for me SV.

 

but there were the Grill Days etc .

 

If I could find very fresh fish , fairly priced

 

Id be all over the PAG  for fish

 

Scallops ?  ( pls remove the tendon if it there.  A Cat would love it )

 

Salmon ?  closest to the Head , filet of steak ?

 

I have a friend who has a place in Woods Hole MA

 

a fish monger , Ive been there , very fresh fish, fairly pieced 

 

Ill point out to him he should consider the PAG for that place.

 

Ill have to motor down and visit.

 

he likes Wine , I like Wine 

 

seems like the right thing to consider.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Smithy said:

 

 

What do you do about seasonings, either during the sous vide bath or during the sear stage? As @rotuts points out there may be an issue of blandness that needs to be overcome. 

 

Just salt and pepper.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

What does steak taste like

Well...steak...

Well actually what most people think a steak tastes like is DIRECTLY the result of the way its cooked. If you boil steak it will probably taste horrible, just like boiled meat.

When we sear steak we are converting the amino acids and sugars on the surface to lovely tasty "steak" flavors (maillard reaction). Add burnt butter (or olive oil or any other fat) and you add even more "steak" flavor. Add salt before searing and the reaction changes a bit and we get more salty "steak" flavor. Add pepper and we get burned pepper tastes as well which my or may not add to the overall flavor. Also what happens in the searing process is we burn some of the fats to form charcoal which has its own salty flavor.

The lovely aromas of the maillard reaction, the burned butter, the burned fat all add to the aroma which is a major contributor to taste.

 

So what about the SV steak. Well SV is actually doing DIFFERENT things chemically to the steak. Depending on temperature and time it may be converting connective tissue to gelatin like substances and making some chemical changes to some of the fat. It may also change the surface proteins and amino acids so the searing isn't as effective at getting the maillard reaction.

Even the sear itself changes depending on the searing temperature and the time the steak is in contact with the very hot surface.

Remember the steak out of the SV will already be hot and as such the searing needs to be shorter to avoid overcooking the internals of the steak, so less "depth" to the maillard reaction.

 

So yes steak cooked SV should definitely taste different from a well cooked steak on a grill. Its tenderness, color, consistency of color through the steak will all be different.

Consider the flavor of fried chicken and roast chicken. They are both chicken but their flavors are distinctly different primarily because of the flavorings added prior to the cook and the time & temperature used to cook it.

 

So if you want that lovely "steak" flavor we are all used to cook it in the conventional way, but you are unlikely to get that particular flavor with SV. It WILL be a different taste. Its a personal decision on which way you prefer.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, rotuts said:

@JoNorvelleWalker

 

very interesting.

 

did you season the meat destined for the SV before you bagged it ?

 

which steak did you eat first ?   the PAG'd ?

 

Im happy how beef turns out for me SV.

 

but there were the Grill Days etc .

 

If I could find very fresh fish , fairly priced

 

Id be all over the PAG  for fish

 

Scallops ?  ( pls remove the tendon if it there.  A Cat would love it )

 

Salmon ?  closest to the Head , filet of steak ?

 

I have a friend who has a place in Woods Hole MA

 

a fish monger , Ive been there , very fresh fish, fairly pieced 

 

Ill point out to him he should consider the PAG for that place.

 

Ill have to motor down and visit.

 

he likes Wine , I like Wine 

 

seems like the right thing to consider.

 

The sous vide steak was bagged with a bit of garlic powder and a few drops of liquid smoke.  Then salted for an hour while drying after removal from the bag.  The grilled steak was seasoned only with salt and then rested for an hour.

 

I cooked and ate the grilled steak first, for what it's worth, speaking as a quondam protein chemist.

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Similar Content

    • By Doodad
      Has anybody tried making a dark roux in a pressure cooker? Can this be done without scortching do you think? I have made roux in the oven before and started wondering about this topic.
    • By kostbill
      I really want to improve the flavor of my chicken breast so I want to try to inject brine with fat and flavors.
       
      I would like to try brining with some hydrocolloids. The one example I found is this: https://torontofoodlab.com/2013/08/20/meat-tenderizing-with-a-carrageenan-brine/.
       
      However I cannot apply that to my chicken breast because I am cooking it sous vide, so the chicken will not reach the temperature needed for the carrageenan to gel.
       
      I am thinking of using Methyl cellulose, first disperse in hot water, then leave it for 24 hours in the fridge, then add salt, fat and flavors and inject it.
      I am afraid that until it reaches the 50C or 60C that the Methyl cellulose needs in order to gel, the liquid will escape.
      Any ideas?
      Thanks.
    • By Anonymous Modernist 760
      Thanks for putting up this forum 🙂
      I would like to bake using a combination of sous vide and a conventional oven. Would it be possible to put the dough in a vacuum bag cook it sous vide at 37C for the dough to raise optimal and then put it in a conventional oven?
      Thanks
    • By PedroG
      Olla podrida sous vide
      Origin
      Not rotten pot, but mighty or rich pot! Originated in 16th century Spain, olla poderida became olla podrida and was falsely translated into French as pot-pourri.
      Ingredients
      For two servings
      * 100g Brisket well marbled, cooked SV 48h/55°C, large dice †
      * 100g Pork meat well marbled, cooked SV 24h/55°C, large dice †
      * 100g Lamb chops without bone, cooked SV 4h/55°C, large dice †
      * 100g Chicken breast, cooked SV 2h/58°C, large dice †
      * 100g Chorizo, sliced approximately 4mm †
      * 125g Chickpeas (garbanzos), soaked overnight in water †
      * 1 Onion chopped medium-fine †
      * ½ Savoy cabbage approx. 200g cut into pieces, thick leaf veins removed
      * ½ Celeriac approx. 200g quartered, sliced about 2mm
      * 2 Carrots sliced approximately 120g about 3mm
      * 1 Leek approximately 20cm / 100g sliced about 5mm
      * Extra virgin olive oil
      * Rice bran oil
      * Dried parsley qs, aromatic, black pepper
      † Beef, pork, lamb and chicken (or at least two kinds of meat) as well as chorizo, chickpeas and onions are mandatory ingredients, other vegetables vary according to desire and availability.
      Cooking
      Boil chickpeas in water for 30-60 min.
      Sauté onions in olive oil, add chorizo, continue sautéing, add chickpeas including its cooking water, add remaining vegetables, cover and cook to the desired softness, stir from time to time. If additional liquid is needed, you may add Sherry instead of water.
      Reduce heat. Season to taste. Add parsley.
      In a heavy skillet, sear the meat dice in just smoking hot rice bran oil (very high smoking point allows very quick sear, not overdoing the center of the meat).
      Sear one kind of meat at a time and transfer to the pan with the vegetables.
    • By Chef Hermes Blog
      Warm Onion Bavarois
      * 300g Sweet Onion purée
      * 250g Whole milk
      * 150g Whipping cream
      * 150g Chicken stock (or fresh vegetable nage, not stock cubes)
      * 3.5g Gellan gum
      * Seasoning
      Lightly grease with vegetable oil the moulds you intend to use (darioles, ramekins etc) and set to one side.
      In a pan (but not on the heat), whisk together all the ingredients.
      Place on a medium heat and whisk continuously, the mix will start to thicken slightly. Carry on whisking for a further 3-4 minutes when it has started to bubble. Then quickly pour into the greased moulds & chill.
      To reheat for serving, just place the ramekin in a pan of water and simmer gently for 8-10 mins.
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...