• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What Are You Cooking Sous Vide Today? (Part 3)

FrogPrincesse

1 hour ago, rotuts said:

@Anna N

my oversight

what did you do with the

picanha ?

there is a Brazillion neighborhood near me

now that thanks to SVEveringthing

I know what to look for

VeinA  Veinand VeinC  

its on a list 

I am not sure what you are asking.   After it came out of the Sous Vide bath, 54.5° for two hours, I iced it down and put it in the refrigerator. A couple of days later I re-thermed it for a very short time, seared it and ate it. 

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

3 minutes ago, rotuts said:

I was hoping for a pic I guess.

I’m sorry. They were things happening in my life at the time and I did not get a photograph. I will mend my ways in future. :rolleyes:

• Like 1

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

• 4 weeks later...

I did my first steak.  And I can say that if the only thing I ever did in the future sous vide was steak, it would be worth the purchase.  We were both thrilled.  The steak was just a regular rib eye from Kroger – 2 inches thick and nicely marbled, but nothing spectacular:

DSCN9210.JPG.9717547e15cfb2980308e069d06266b3.JPG

I sous vide it at 127 for 2 hours and then seared it in ghee in a cast iron skillet.  It turned out incredibly good:

DSCN9221.JPG.b548dd7ebbe4a7b095e284be532e537a.JPG

The steak was much pinker than the picture indicates and was that way all the way through, except for the sear on the edges.

DSCN9220.JPG.2aacbea7c8bef92fcdcbf2d719cf924c.JPG

• Like 5
  • Delicious 2

Wow, Kim.  Great result.  SV is a very good purchase.  Now you have to try some tough cuts done over a longer period.  @Anna N likes chuck:  " I have now entrusted it with two precious, imported* chuck eyes. I think this cut has pushed its way up and is now my favourite cut of beef. I would never, never turn my nose up at a ribeye but for flavour and tenderness, at a price which is much more acceptable, it is hard to beat a sv'd chuck eye.  24 hours at 56C  works for me."

I just did some little 3 oz lamb hearts and they turned out beautifully tender and juicy.

• Like 3
  • Delicious 1

24 minutes ago, Okanagancook said:

Wow, Kim.  Great result.  SV is a very good purchase.  Now you have to try some tough cuts done over a longer period.  @Anna N likes chuck:  " I have now entrusted it with two precious, imported* chuck eyes. I think this cut has pushed its way up and is now my favourite cut of beef. I would never, never turn my nose up at a ribeye but for flavour and tenderness, at a price which is much more acceptable, it is hard to beat a sv'd chuck eye.  24 hours at 56C  works for me."

I just did some little 3 oz lamb hearts and they turned out beautifully tender and juicy.

Just so we understand.  I like chuck eyes as a steak and not chuck which I prefer for braising. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

My 2004 eG Blog

I've had great luck cooking ribs and then finishing them in the smoker to get a crust and some smoke flavor.

I also love the fact I can SV a whole bunch of slabs of ribs, throw them in the freezer in the SV bag, and then pull them out and finish off as I want, when I want.

Edited by kayb (log)
  • Like 3

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

5 hours ago, Okanagancook said:

@Anna N I was misunderstanding your chuck eye cut.  After googling it I see it is not really for long cooking like a thick slice off a chuck roast.  I have never seen them for sale...like hanger steaks...only two to an animal.

They very rarely show up in Canadian supermarkets where I am able to shop. I am very lucky that @Kerry Beal  brings me some of these back from Wegmans in Buffalo. 

• Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog

11 hours ago, Okanagancook said:

@Anna N I was misunderstanding your chuck eye cut.  After googling it I see it is not really for long cooking like a thick slice off a chuck roast.  I have never seen them for sale...like hanger steaks...only two to an animal.

I'm not sure if this is what you meant to say, but there are more than two chuck-eye steaks per steer. Depending on how thick you cut them, you can get at least three out of a chuck-eye roll. With two chucks (shoulders) on a steer, that's a minimum of six steaks each. There's an excellent photo of the chuck roll here (scroll down a little).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 1

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.

Thanks.  I was basing my post on this info but made a booboo...two per steer.

A simple google search has plenty of info.

What is a chuck eye steak? It is often referred to as the poor man’s rib eye and that is for good reason. Rib eyes are cut from the 6th to the 12th rib of the cow. The chuck eye is cut off the 5th rib. Don’t confuse them with chuck steaks. These are chuck EYE steaks. There are only two chuck eye steaks per cow so they aren’t always available. But when they are, they are quite the treat at a much discounted rate from the lauded rib eye.

1 hour ago, Okanagancook said:

What is a chuck eye steak? It is often referred to as the poor man’s rib eye and that is for good reason. Rib eyes are cut from the 6th to the 12th rib of the cow. The chuck eye is cut off the 5th rib. Don’t confuse them with chuck steaks. These are chuck EYE steaks. There are only two chuck eye steaks per cow so they aren’t always available. But when they are, they are quite the treat at a much discounted rate from the lauded rib eye.

I realize that this is all over the internet, but that doesn't make it correct. Most of it seems to be the result of one person copying another copying another copying another -- the web version of a game of Telephone.

The chuck-eye steak is fabricated from the chuck-eye roll (NAMP 116D), which is fabricated from the chuck roll (NAMP 116A), which is fabricated from the shoulder clod (NAMP 114), which is fabricated from the square-cut chuck (NAMP 113) (These are North American designations.) There are two square-cut chucks per steer, hence two clods, etc. Each of the two rolls on a steer can be cut into several steaks. Fabrication instructions can be found here.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.

On ‎2‎/‎16‎/‎2019 at 2:59 PM, Dave the Cook said:

I realize that this is all over the internet, but that doesn't make it correct. Most of it seems to be the result of one person copying another copying another copying another -- the web version of a game of Telephone.

The chuck-eye steak is fabricated from the chuck-eye roll (NAMP 116D), which is fabricated from the chuck roll (NAMP 116A), which is fabricated from the shoulder clod (NAMP 114), which is fabricated from the square-cut chuck (NAMP 113) (These are North American designations.) There are two square-cut chucks per steer, hence two clods, etc. Each of the two rolls on a steer can be cut into several steaks. Fabrication instructions can be found here.

I had never heard of a chuck eye steak but it sounded interesting.  Today amazon had chuck eye steak on offer and I made my purchase.  When it arrived with some disappointment I noticed the label read "Beef Round Eye Round Steak".  To my knowledge chuck is from the shoulder while round is from the nether end.  Can these cuts be marketed the same?

Anyhow the meat looks like round and not like chuck.  It does not look like the chuck eye steak picture on the prime now website.

My teeth are not the greatest and I detest beef round almost as much as kale.  Can sous vide redeem chuck eye steak if it's cut from the round?  I'd consider grinding the meat but there is essentially no fat except for a small strip on one side.  I could pound it, I suppose, but I'm not sure pounding it would really help.  It might make me feel better.

• Like 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

45 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

I had never heard of a chuck eye steak but it sounded interesting.  Today amazon had chuck eye steak on offer and I made my purchase.  When it arrived with some disappointment I noticed the label read "Beef Round Eye Round Steak".  To my knowledge chuck is from the shoulder while round is from the nether end.  Can these cuts be marketed the same?

Anyhow the meat looks like round and not like chuck.  It does not look like the chuck eye steak picture on the prime now website.

My teeth are not the greatest and I detest beef round almost as much as kale.  Can sous vide redeem chuck eye steak if it's cut from the round?  I'd consider grinding the meat but there is essentially no fat except for a small strip on one side.  I could pound it, I suppose, but I'm not sure pounding it would really help.  It might make me feel better.

I'd send it back!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kerry Beal said:

I'd send it back!

Before I posted I already had my refund from amazon.  They said I could keep the steak.  As much as I'm tempted I'd hate to throw it out.

• Like 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

I’d grind it up with a bit of bacon and call hamburger.  

• Like 2

My 2004 eG Blog

if you don't grind it up

you can of course SV it to tenderness , at your desired " done-ness '

but it wont be too tasty.  so add some flavor to the bag before hand

diced mushrooms ?  teriaki sauce  ? etc

rare  130 F  1- 2 days   go for somewhere in between 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, rotuts said:

if you don't grind it up

you can of course SV it to tenderness , at your desired " done-ness '

but it wont be too tasty.  so add some flavor to the bag before hand

diced mushrooms ?  teriaki sauce  ? etc

rare  130 F  1- 2 days   go for somewhere in between 

I don’t mean to be argumentative at all and you could well be right but in my experience you cannot make it tender AND tasty no matter what you do. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

My 2004 eG Blog

I think we really are in agreement :

you can make it tender , but it wont be tasty

I doubt if the RB40  2 - 3 day ' refrigerator ' therapy will help much either

Id rather Sv than grind , simply because i do a lot of SV , even to 48 H

chilled and refrigerated For me it might be more palatable thinly cut in a ' Well Provisioned ' sandwich than a burger.

I don't make beef burgers often , but noted the other day , at a higher end family owned store

RocheBros , which has a decent service meat counter , freshly ground  85 % lean beef , mostly chuck 

but with other cuts that have taste added in if trimmings are available , is now $ 7.98 / lbs

I have not had it in a while ,l but can get just the right amount of meat I want for a burger , with good beef flavoour

making a decent burger  ( 1/2 lbs )  about $ 4 for the beef element.

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 1