• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create an account.

FrogPrincesse

What Are You Cooking Sous Vide Today? (Part 3)

It's great quality stuff that Cape Grim.  I wish I could get some locally.

On 4/7/2018 at 8:33 PM, ImportantElements said:

Did some steaks last weekend in the sous vide. 

2 hour at 110, then super fast grill sear for 1 minute on each side, and a baked potat :)

110 degrees is unusually low, but that certainly looks beautiful inside.

Some may not appreciate SVEverything

but once you get over their ' Style ' ,  adjust their seasonings to your personal prefs , and Time/ temps you prefer

there is a lot to learn :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7UDFO-ifqC8

this compares defrosting methods for Steak SV.

• Like 1

Too much other testing (usually more carefully and scientifically done) contradicts them for me to take any advice from them. 

He leaves in way too many variables and inconsistencies in his “tests” to make any conclusions meaningful. 

but they are entertaining as as far as it goes. 

Taste is scientific ?

good to know.

its all about calibrating and offsetting.

1 hour ago, rotuts said:

this compares defrosting methods for Steak SV.

Thanks for posting this as it was a question in my mind. I suspected all along that slow defrosting over a 24 hour period in the refrigerator would yield the best results.  But being that I never know what I want to eat until it’s almost mealtime I’m equally pleased to know that using the sous vide to defrost is a close runner up. 

way before SV

I recall reading that the slower you defrost the better

it your defrost-tee is in a sealed bag

all the better

I try to do this myself

I think the differences are not enough  to remember one vs the other

when only doing one.

side by side , easier to tell.

2 minutes ago, rotuts said:

side by side , easier to tell.

I think I would be inclined to up my game and go for the slow defrost if I had a piece of really high-quality meat. Side by side comparisons are not something most of us try at home.

For example:

if you dropped the frozen steak into the bath 30 mins or so before the thawed one (because you shouldn’t be counting THAWING time as cooking time, just like you’re not for the refrigerator thawed sample) and then took them both out an hour or two later, I don’t believe the difference would be much if anything. 

11 minutes ago, weedy said:

For example:

if you dropped the frozen steak into the bath 30 mins or so before the thawed one (because you shouldn’t be counting THAWING time as cooking time, just like you’re not for the refrigerator thawed sample) and then took them both out an hour or two later, I don’t believe the difference would be much if anything. 

When my ship comes in I shall buy a bunch of steaks and reach my own conclusions. xD  In the meantime I have to rely on others and when their conclusions lineup with my thought experiments then I’m happy to accept their results. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I re-therm Fz SV all the time.

its already cooked of course , the rapid chill -> Fz.

I like to do an overnight thaw before I re-therm for dinner.

can't say its analogous to the above info.

Ive always though the slower something defrost the better.

that might not hold for fish , possibly .

3 hours ago, Anna N said:

When my ship comes in I shall buy a bunch of steaks and reach my own conclusions. xD  In the meantime I have to rely on others and when their conclusions lineup with my thought experiments then I’m happy to accept their results. 

pretty sure that other reputable sources have weighed in that cooking SV from frozen is just as good (whether that's Food Lab or Chefsteps or individual chefs) 

and it's what I've found.

those 'SV Everything' guys say a lot of things that many others disagree with.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, weedy said:

those 'SV Everything' guys say a lot of things that many others disagree with.

Indeed.  But they confirm my own biases.xD

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, rotuts said:

Taste is scientific ?

Very much so. In that evaluating taste requires more scientific rigor than most other senses. Scientific methods are designed to eliminate the influence of bias. Bias (expectations, associations, moods, habits) play a huge role in taste. Scientific methods also work against experimental bias (biases toward one result or another that are inadvertently built into the experiment), unrelated variables, and chance.

It's not so uncommon today, when one chef says to another "X method tastes better than Y method," to ask, "did you do a blind triangle test?"  10 years ago no one would have known what that meant. Soon it's going to be Triangle-Or-It-Didn't-Happen. 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, weedy said:

For example:

I do this all the time because, like Anna said, I often don't know what I want to eat until close to time to eat.  

• Like 1

5adca266a5cc6_rs1.JPG.833453e7c7dc0369f0e83c9589a98247.JPG

Today, SV was an interim step in the cooking process. It's steak tips and rice, planned for Sunday dinner. I went pawing through the freezer for the couple of top sirloins I was pretty certain were in there, and only found one. One top sirloin will not do dinner for four, not when one of the four is a big ol' boy of 6'4", 250, and the other three have middling decent appetites. So I looked further. Found a two-pound package of round steak.

H'mm, sez I. I brought it in, pitched it in the SV bath in the vac-packed bag in which it came from the butcher (part of my quarter-steer), after peeling off the label, and let it go at 130 for eight hours overnight. Pulled it this morning, cubed it up, tossed the cubes in seasoned flour, browned it, and let it simmer 30 minutes in a combo of the jus and beef broth. Pulled out the son-in-law's portion, added caramelized onions and sauteed mushrooms to the remainder. (The boy's odd; he won't do either onions OR mushrooms. Sigh.)

5adca28497b94_rs2.JPG.71c114800b2bdd5b6f77b04e9bb23ef5.JPG

5adca2947646f_rs3.JPG.e1023c4b3637ed308d0ad06c029b7756.JPG

A quality control sample indicates a success. We shall see, come noonish.

• Like 2
  • Delicious 1

I can imagine that with some very lean, delicate proteins there could be an advantage to defrosting before cooking. At least with larger portions. Not because the speed of defrosting makes a difference, but because defrosting and cooking in one step will necessarily lead to the outer portions staying at cooking temperature longer than if you started thawed (the outside will defrost quickly; the insides much more slowly as they're getting heated by conduction). This could lead to the outsides being a bit drier. But I haven't tested this. It's possible that other people have and found no problems.

fair enough.

as with keeping a braise in the refrig for the next day , as its ' better '

Im wondering if a slow defrost adds ' jus ' ( from the freezing process , which damages membranes )

back into those da

@kayb

nice

testimony to " sauce "

so important.

yours looks very very tasty.

Update: The finished product.

20180422_130447.thumb.jpg.2de4da7e71b431acf23f078311a00d06.jpg

Over rice, with peas and corn, and a side of cucumber salad as it was starch heavy. Steak was perfect.

• Like 4

SV shrimp with pimenton, garlic, butter and sherry vinegar. 15 min 139 F.   A tasty tapas-ish thing. 

• Like 2

Fwiw I’m not suggesting it’s a scientific ‘proof’ that something ‘tastes better’

those guys are entitled to their taste. 

But they often compare one item to another with multiple variable differences. 

I’m just saying their ‘testing’ is pretty loose. 

I don’t feel that way about chef steps or food lab. 

• Like 2

As Ive posted before :

I boned out two Fz TurkeyBr

and removed the tendons

the SV's them  at my usual :   142.5  or 6 hrs

nothing new there

Ive discovered this year

that cold smoking both the TB's and the St.P's corned beef

after the SV

gave me outstanding results.

those have been posted before

here is a thing of Great Beauty :

5ae4a1e379abf_TBSmoke.thumb.jpg.9e48fa81f2dd3d6f38252412ff84f7c6.jpg

using the Weber very early in the AM for cold smoking 

8 packets of TB's

as before

however

this time I took a bit of the Jus from the packets :

5ae4a231323ba_TBJus.thumb.jpg.cb5883d5619a69576e158ab0033a93c2.jpg

which I freeze and save for adding to Gravy 

one might note that 1/2 of the dirt cheap but very reusable container 

is missing 

I decided to add a large TB of the jus that came from 2 TB's  i.e. 8 tied up TB's after SV

I then froze them

as in the past

as delicious as these TB's  are for sandwiches or reheat for a Turkey Dinner

Ive noted that they are a tiny bit dry

its such a small thing 

I hesitate to mention it

tender , juicy these TB's are

Ive just decided to take one out and have it for some TB's sandwiches now

what is my point of this post ?

all most all of the Jus that I added to the bag had been reabsorbed by the TB meat.

interesting Id say

and Im looking forward to some tasty and juicy sandwiches soon.

cheers

• Like 3

That's a neat trick @rotuts - adding the jus from sous-videing one batch of meat to the sous vide bag for another of that meat. I still have some chicken jelly with citrus juice from citrus-roasted chicken. Do you suppose that adding the citrusy chick jelly to a sous vide bag worth of chicken breast would be a good thing?

Posted (edited)

to be a bit more clear :

the jus was from the SV'd batch that I then opened and did a cold smoke on

they got re-bagged in fresh bags for the freezer after their enjoyment of the Smoke.

why not , I had it ?

and I think the jus added to the final p smoked TrBr's

the second bag did not get SV'd  just cold smoked.

in your case you are asking if previous SV Jelly can new added to a new SV batcxh

of something similar , starting from scratch.

Id say yes.

if your process is similar to the first batch

you are going to add flavor to the new batch

and get more Jelly after the SV

for the next batch

more or less like

Old Fashioned Balsamic vinegar  

but w a moder tasty twist.

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 1

• Similar Content

• By ProfessionalHobbit
      I had completely forgotten about our dinner there in December. 

Anyone who is a serious eater here on eGullet needs to come here soon. Highly recommended. @MetsFan5 - here is one place you might love over Gary Danko. You too @rancho_gordo.

I'll let the pix speak for themselves...

Horchata - Koshihikari rice, almonds, black cardamom, cinnamon.

Scallop chicharrón, scallop ceviche, crème fraîche.

Jicama empanada, shiso, pumpkin, salmon roe.

Smoked mushroom taco with pickled wild mushrooms.

Dungeness crab tostada, sour orange segments, sour orange-habanero salsa, Castelfranco radicchio, tarragon.

Pineapple guava sorbet

Fuyu persimmon, habanero honey, tarragon

Tasmanian trout ceviche, dashi, Granny Smith apple

Aguachile, parsnip, red bell pepper

Black bean tamales steamed in banana leaves, with salsa on the side

Smoked squab broth, pomegranate seeds, cilantro flowers

Tres frijoles with sturgeon caviar, shallots and edible gold leaf

Black cod, salsa verde, green grapes

Wagyu beef, pickled onion

Smoked squab breast served with spiced cranberry sauce, quince simmered in cranberry juice, pickled Japanese turnips and charred scallion, and sourdough flour tortillas

Yes, it's the same squab from which the broth was made.

And now the desserts:

Foie gras churro, with foie gras mousse, cinnamon sugar, served with hot milk chocolate infused with cinnamon, Lustau sherry and coffee.

By the time I remembered to take a pic, I'd eaten half of the churro. Dunk the churro into the chocolate.

Dulce de leche spooned atop pear sorbet with chunks of Asian pear, macadamia nut butter

Pecan ice cream, candied pecans, shortbread cookie, apples, clarified butter

The cookie was on top of the apples. Break the cookie and spoon everything over.

Cherry extract digestif, vermouth, sweet Mexican lime

We'll definitely return. I'm an instant fan.

Prepaid tix were $230 per person, plus there were additional charges due to wine pairings. It's worth every cent you'll spend.

Californios
      3115 22nd Street (South Van Ness)
      Mission District

• By benjamin163
      Hello,
      I love cooking my pulses and beans and have used a pressure cooker, slow cooker and top stove to do so.
      However, the results often vary due to my carelessness.
      I enjoy the results of sous vide and wonder whether cooking beans and pulses sous vide would make them deliciously tender without falling apart and going mushy.
      I have looked up a few recipes but the temperatures vary enormously.
      I'm wondering if there's a more scientific approach. Like, at what temperature do the walls of a pulse break down without breaking apart? 
      And does the amount of water the pulses are steeped in matter?
      I'm gathering that pre-soaking is no longer the necessity it once seemed.
      So I'd love an understanding of the optimum temperature to get fluffy, unctuous beans without the mush.
      Any help or opinions greatly received.
    • By ElsieD
      I got an e-mail this morning about the Modernist team's next project - pizza! 

Modernist Pizza is Underway!
      After taking on the world of bread, we’re thrilled to announce the topic of our next book: pizza. Modernist Pizza will explore the science, history, equipment, technology, and people that have made pizza so beloved.

Authors Nathan Myhrvold and Francisco Migoya, with the Modernist Cuisine team, are currently at work conducting extensive research and testing long-held pizza-making beliefs; this quest for knowledge has already taken them to cities across the United States, Italy, and beyond. The result of their work will be a multivolume cookbook that includes both traditional and innovative recipes for pizzas found around the globe along with techniques that will help you make pizza the way you like it.

Modernist Pizza is in its early stages, and although we’ve begun to dig in, we still have a lot of work ahead of us. Although we can’t guarantee when it will arrive at your door just yet, we can promise that this book will deliver the complete story of pizza as it’s never been told before.

In the meantime, we would love to hear from you as we continue to research pizza from around the world. Contact pizza@modernistcuisine.com to tell us about your favorite pizzerias and their pizza. Connect with us on social media to get all the latest Modernist Pizza updates.
    • By Tempranillo
      I have been tasked with putting together a team for a new kosher barbecue event in Arizona, happening sometime later this year. The event was supposed to be in mid-April, but the venue decided to cancel. The organizers are busy looking for a new venue, and have assured us that this will happen.

Many details for the event are not quite settled yet, so, I am trying to prepare for all sorts of contingencies beyond the usual concerns about putting out good food. What is known is that we will be following the KCBS kosher rules. As far as I can tell, there were 10-12 such events held last year across the US. So, it's a pretty small world. I don't think there's a kosher championship ladder like the other barbecue events have, either. I think it's a good time to get in, get practice and see where it takes me.

Now, I've been reading and watching videos online with all sorts of info on smoking/cooking for competitions. I have watched some of the TV shows, and one documentary. It's been kind of a mixed bag in terms of usefulness. No one has posted much about kosher barbecue, so I am making changes to recipes and procedures and running a lot of tests. I currently have access to my home kitchen which is small but adequate, the stove is electric and unremarkable and about 7 years old. It does maintain temperature well, and can be set to run anywhere from 140°F to 550°F.  I also have access to an outdoor kitchen at a friend's place, with a relatively large charcoal type grill. At most of the kosher barbecue events the event organizers provide smokers/grills plus meats and many ingredients to ensure that everything is truly kosher. If needed, my team sponsor is prepared to purchase a grill/smoker which I will need to research once I know I will need it.

I should note that I am not Jewish and did not grow up around any kosher households, so I am also studying some of the finer points about running a kosher kitchen and learning about kosher ingredients. Modern competition barbecue is an odd mix of modernist techniques and ingredients, right alongside ordinary-folk foods like margarine, and bottled sauces.

For reference, the 4 categories for kosher events are: Chicken, Beef Ribs, Turkey, and Beef Brisket -to be served in that order.

So far, I have been running smokeless tests on chicken and beef ribs. Mostly learning to trim the chicken thighs (what a nightmare!) and seeing what happens at certain temperatures and times. I know things will be different with real smoking happening, but I want to see some baseline results so that I know what to strive for. I do have a bunch of thermometers, and have got some basic ideas about writing a competition timeline.

The chicken perplexes me in several ways. First, some of the competition cooks recommend boning while others recommend bone-in. Second, I see some folks injecting and brining, while others maybe do a quick half hour marinade, and even others are full-on modernist with citric acid under the skin, etc. Third, the braise vs non- braise chicken where some people load up their pan with a pound of butter, margarine or a couple cups of chicken stock while others do not. Fourth, The bite-through skin is driving me insane. Some people swear by transglutaminase to reattach the skin for a better bite. Catch is, only some types are kosher, and I can see having issues explaining it. I have tested an egg white egg wash which seems to attach the skin pretty well without showing. I think I need to go for longer times to get more tender skin. Today I did a pan (with olive oil) of six as follows: one hour at 220°, one hour under foil at 230°, then glazed and 20 minutes on a rack at 350°. It was only partly bite-though and the taste-testers wanted more crispiness. I tried showing them pictures and explained that it wasn't ever going to be crispy, that we're looking to go even softer. I am going to run tests on longer cook periods and see how it goes.

I want to ask people about the whole swimming in margarine thing which is in voque right now. people claim it makes the chicken juicy. I know that meat is mostly all about temperatures. I can see how the margarine acts like duck fat in a confit and helps prevent some oven-drying after hours and hours in the oven, but, in the end, isn't it just an insulator?

I've been making corned beef and other brisket dishes for over 20 years, so, I think I have a good handle on that. I will practice it in a couple of weeks. I simply don't need as much help on this item.

The turkey scares me. On TV, I see people dunking it in butter before serving it. This obviously is not kosher, and I don't want to do it with margarine I don't want to present anything in a competition made with margarine, there has to be something better! -Either cook the bird better or find a better dip, like maybe a flavorful nut oil or a sauce. That said, unlike ribs or brisket, it is not traditional to dunk turkey in a sauce.  I went with some friends to a chain place called Dickies to do a little research and their turkey breast was odd and kind of hammy. Not like Virginia ham, more like ham lunchmeat. It was very moist and unlike any turkey I have ever eaten. Ok, I admit to not being very fond of turkey, so my experiences with it have been a bit limited. I am assuming it was brined. Given the limited amount of time we will have (about a day and a half) to cook, I am planning on just cooking the breast. Other than that, I am open to suggestions. The internet has been least informative on the topic of turkey. People's videos and such just show rubbing the whole bird and letting it roast for a few hours. Any tips at all would be appreciated.

Whew! Thanks for reading all of this, I look forward to any advice you can give.
    • By flippant
      I've had the CSO for a number of years now, but have yet to actually bake bread in it.

Reading through the Modernist Bread thread on this forum I see many of you are using the CSO to great effect, which is heartening.

To that end, I would like to know about your experience baking bread in it – what sort of extra equipment you use (pans, cast iron? etc), what breads work the best, any corrections you find yourself making, or anything you feel might be useful to someone else using the CSO.

Thank you!