• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What Are You Cooking Sous Vide Today? (Part 3)

FrogPrincesse

SV short ribs - 48hr @ 140F or 72hr @ 130F. I wouldn't bother cooking short ribs hotter or faster than that with a circulator. It's a waste. If you want braised short ribs, braise short ribs. Or use a pressure cooker. Either would produce better results than sous vide short ribs boiled to death at 185F or whatever.

• Like 3

Relatively new Anova user here... looking to improve the work flow for Easter dinner:

Can I use the circulator to hold hollandaise sauce for an hour or so?  Google has provided me with various versions of the Modernist hollandaise recipe but I have a relatively traditional method that I like--I would just like to be able to hold it longer, with less anxiety.  I'm thinking a mason jar in the water bath might be just the thing.  Can anyone suggest a temperature?  Any other advice?  

Help needed and I don't have time to look back right now.

I have a domestic turkey breast--about 3-4 lbs--that has been brined and frozen.  The vac pac failed and I want to SV it for turkey sandwiches.  Time and Temp please?

On the Bone or dissected oout ?

if just the Br, were you able to remove those two tendons ?

get the meat off the bone , however you can.

142.5 , 6 hours.

believe it

I do it all the time.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, rotuts said:

On the Bone or dissected oout ?

if just the Br, were you able to remove those two tendons ?

get the meat off the bone , however you can.

142.5 , 6 hours.

believe it

I do it all the time.

On the bone

Ok thank you so much!

On 3/16/2018 at 7:16 PM, btbyrd said:

SV short ribs - 48hr @ 140F or 72hr @ 130F. I wouldn't bother cooking short ribs hotter or faster than that with a circulator. It's a waste. If you want braised short ribs, braise short ribs. Or use a pressure cooker. Either would produce better results than sous vide short ribs boiled to death at 185F or whatever.

I've never tried it. What do you find are the shortcomings of higher temperature SV pseudo braises?

Notes from the underbelly

34 minutes ago, paulraphael said:

I've never tried it. What do you find are the shortcomings of higher temperature SV pseudo braises?

I miss the juices and braised caramelized veg that you get from the traditional method.  The reason I eat short ribs is taken away by high temp SV.  The meat itself is fine by either method. And you can't let the braised meat sit with the veg overnight and grow flavor if you didn't braise it. 

• Like 4

@Shelby

for me , 140 for TB was not enough , and 145 was too much ... Ive tried both.

I used to do 4 hours , then added two hours to a 4 hour cook when I re-therm'd for a Hot Turkey Dinner

it was much better    

so for meow , 142.5 , x 6      Hot for dinner  or cold for a sandwich later

and bone it out first, if you can.  worth your time

take out the wish bone carefully first , then the two sides from the sternum down = 4 muscles

don't forget the tendons is you have time !

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 1

I just finished a cold smoke on my Yearly CB project here ;

https://forums.egullet.org/topic/156356-stpatrick-aka-cornedbeef-2018/?page=5&tab=comments#comment-2146839

the question Id like to ask , vis-a vis Sv is this :

better to smoke  before SV  :   hot ( 130 or so ) or cold  

or the same after SV

the crazy guys at SV everything did an experiment as I recall :

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCpFuaxD-0PKLolFR3gWhrMw/videos

its somewhere in their Compendium 

Smoke before SV or After

I can not find the exact vid 

and its important to know these guys are big time steak eaters.

I think the smoked the same rib eye or NY strip  at the temp they SV'd at  +/-

or smoke the finished torched steak w a chip smoker after the cooking

they found the first method lent some dryness and the second method was preferred.

hove you done smoking w SV either way ?

Im guessing , and hoping , smoke after the SV is better , and colder is better

your take on this important question ?

• Like 1

20 hours ago, paulraphael said:

Conventionally braised meat browns better and tastes better than meat that's been cooked to death in a bag. And conventional braises evaporate, so the liquid part is slowly reducing and concentrating in flavor over the course of the cook. The braising liquid from a beef roast in the oven is heavenly. The bag liquid from SV braises is borderline disgusting. When you braise meat in the oven, it comes along with a delicious free sauce. When you braise meat in the bag, it never browns up and you have to really work to create a sauce from the cooking liquids.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I combine smoke with SV frequently. The best strategy is to smoke twice. I'll generally do a cold smoke on the meat prior to putting it in the bag, then cook it SV, and chill it down. Final retherm on the smoker until you can't resist anymore.

I've done side by side comparisons with pork belly smoked before, after, and before and after. Before and after was the winner.

Smoke particles are small enough to permeate plastic. If you smoke before hand, your cooking liquid is going to smell like smoke. On the second day, you will smell it from across the kitchen. But the particles that remain in the bag continue to develop as they cook, or so Chris Young said once upon a time. You get a more muted smoke flavor, but it has an added complexity. I do the final retherm smoke to add back that "fresh campfire" element that gets lost to the SV water. It also helps dehydrate the exterior and develop a proper bark (which SV alone would never give you). I have a Smoking Gun, and while it's fun, it is no substitute for actual smoke in an actual hot box as far as the final smoke is concerned. You can do it on a small scale with some items -- quail and other small birds take to that treatment well, for obvious reasons.

Also, the SVE guys are goons.

Edited by btbyrd (log)
  • Like 2

I wet cured both of these pork bellies. In the first image, the belly on the left has been cold smoked, while the one on the right has only been cured.

belly_pre_cook.jpg.544a71795614376720583a36775c5299.jpg

The difference in color is much more dramatic after they came out of the bath.

post-73474-0-26222900-1431791027_thumb.jpg

I don't have the "after" shot after they got rethermed on the smoker, but the final color and flavor on the double smoked belly was superior. I've found this to be true of pork and beef ribs as well. So now I just do the double smoke as a general practice whenever possible. 

Here's some double smoked SV meats on the smoker getting that final crust. First up, some glazed pork belly.

post-73474-0-45127400-1440054546_thumb.jpg

On the plate:

post-73474-0-24542500-1440054535_thumb.jpg

And some short ribs:

korean_shortribs.thumb.jpg.2ca75d6b74f9fb783f0eacf4b50cb391.jpg

On the sandwich:

korean_banhmi.thumb.jpg.029151edfe06dedd3233257cbd1e7fb2.jpg

It was a mashup of BBQ styles. Texas meets Korea meets the bahn mi. Black garlic aioli, collard green kimchi, carrot and daikon shreds.

If anyone cares, I use an Amazen tube smoker on my Weber grill. It burns pellets, but doesn't really generate heat of its own. In the winter, I'll cold smoke things on the grill without having the heat on. It's good to do large batches if possible, and then freeze for later. I'll also turn my grill on low and use it as a proper hot smoker. Dollar for dollar, the $25 or $30 I spent on the Amazen tube smoker are probably the best money I've spent for cooking equipment. And I've spent a lot of money on cooking equipment.

• Like 8
  • Delicious 2

The MC chapter on smoking talks about the importance of surface moisture. When they smoke after SV cooking, they do an intermediate stage in a warm oven to get rid of excess moisture. You want the surface to be slightly damp / tacky. More moist than that, the smoke will likely get trapped by surface liquid that drips off. Drier than that, too little smoke will be adsorbed onto the surfaces. I gather that the SV / warm oven / smoke is their favorite method.

Edited by paulraphael (log)
  • Like 1

Notes from the underbelly

@btbyrd

Kudos for

When you braise meat in the oven, it comes along with a delicious free sauce. When you braise meat in the bag, it never browns up and you have to really work to create a sauce from the cooking liquids. "

Braises are delicious , and have been perfected over many millennia .  but the deliciousness is in the sauce.

the meat is nowhere near its try potential , as the flavor in that sauce used to be in that meat.

SV that meat , brown it , and figure out how to make that sauce another way would be much tastier , but a lot of work.

Ill keep your ideas in mind for a pre- and post- smoke.

"" I do the final retherm smoke -------It also helps dehydrate the exterior '   

Ive found > 130 smoking might taste nice , but dries out the meat.   Im wondering where you re-hydration is coming from.

of course , it you had a Combi-Smoker and smoked at 100 % humidity       nice !

SVE guys are goons "  very entertaining goons if you can get past their shtick

and also they offer consistent analysis based on their criteria for Number A , number B etc

that's their value.   and Ive leafed a lot from that analysis , given its constraints.

Edited by rotuts (log)

I typically smoke preSV and am very happy with it, but I will give pre and post a try. 

I tend to smoke fairly delicate nonfatty meats...pork tenderloin...turkey breast...salmon. Could double smoke be overdoing it?

Edited by gfweb (log)
  • Like 1