• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What Are You Cooking Sous Vide Today? (Part 3)

FrogPrincesse

1 hour ago, rotuts said:

are there other cuts you have considered

from you Meat Venues ?

thanks

Veal is quite popular and usually just a tiny bit more expensive than beef. 

Popular cuts at my home are the cutlets (lovely for BBQ), shanks (braised whole or in cuts for Ossobuco), bone-in breast (roast), Schnitzel (well, for Schnitzel), cheek (braise) and liver (flash-fried). You can usually also get “regular” roast, fillet, rump and kidneys, but I haven’t bought any of those. Only once I have seen sweetbreads in a regular supermarket, but I had other plans that day and they never returned …

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Anna N said:

A lovely food gift. Striploin going in for a bath at 54.5°C for an hour and a half.

It was such a bad day today that I misidentified this great food gift. It is a boneless rib steak. I hang my head in shame. It is now resting comfortably in the refrigerator. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 6

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

• 2 weeks later...

Experiment in progress. Before I forbade my husband from buying any more "meat for the freezer because it was a good deal" he bought these "turkey breast fillets." They are skinless, boneless and have a tendon running through them (which I removed after the photo once I saw them, so I think they are turkey tenders.) I'm doing them sous vide at 145 for 4 hours. Coated them in the Trader Joes Everything But the Leftovers seasoning blend that my daughter gave me as a stocking stuffer. It is very sage forward so I think it will work. Making (packaged) gravy, so I don't think I will sear them as that would probably just dry out the outside. We shall see. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, rotuts said:
13 minutes ago, rotuts said:

@MaryIsobel 

searing them might ruin them

Torch them ?

just cover in gravy and see ?

Turkey SV

both breast and dark meat 

treated differently , 

are a revelation 

right out of the bag.

I think I will just slice and cover with gravy. Searing is not the answer in this case. My husband wanted a turkey dinner, so dressing, gravy over turkey and lemon butter broccoli will suffice.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, MaryIsobel said:

I'm just going to slice them and cover them in gravy. Dressing and lemon garlic broccoli to go with. I'm sure there will be no complaints since I explained to my husband that without skin, a "crispy" exterior will ruin them.

• Like 2

Full disclosure - packaged gravy, stovetop stuffing (gotta bend to my husbands food quirks since he bends to mine.) As I was getting out the package of McCormick gravy mix - which is really not too bad, I saw that I had 4 packages of McCormick hollandaise, so what the heck? We'll diet tomorrow!

dinner1.jpg

dinner2.jpg

• Like 8
  • Delicious 2

11 hours ago, MaryIsobel said:

Full disclosure - packaged gravy, stovetop stuffing (gotta bend to my husbands food quirks since he bends to mine.) As I was getting out the package of McCormick gravy mix - which is really not too bad, I saw that I had 4 packages of McCormick hollandaise, so what the heck? We'll diet tomorrow!

dinner1.jpg

dinner2.jpg

Have you tried Bisto?  hey make delicious gravy granules in different flavors.  I used the beef with my meatloaf and the chicken with Stove Top.  From Amazon, imported from the UK.  Tastes like the real thing.

As to the turkey, ,y friend turned me on to turkey tenderloins...roasted in the oven, they are delicious.

Edited by lindag (log)
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Posted on the dinner thread but wanted to drop a note here too.  Ronnie corned a Canadian goose.  

Brine:

2 quarts water

2 cups Morton's Tender Quick

about 1/2 a cup of brown sugar

2 Tbs. pickling spice

Combine in a pot, bring to a boil.  Cool.  I think we brined for about 10 days.

Vac pack the legs and breasts separately.

SV at 179F.  Legs for about 13 hours.  Breasts for about 6 hours.  Can go a bit longer without harm.

thumbnail_IMG_4121.jpg.08b972f61385288ccfce80b12f2e56a4.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_4146.jpg.a2934a2ff6166ac6e25c29e7f2037164.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_4148.jpg.d853d2c0791fcdf04dcb6f221f385da3.jpg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 1

On 2/26/2023 at 6:15 AM, lindag said:

Have you tried Bisto?  hey make delicious gravy granules in different flavors.  I used the beef with my meatloaf and the chicken with Stove Top.  From Amazon, imported from the UK.  Tastes like the real thing.

As to the turkey, ,y friend turned me on to turkey tenderloins...roasted in the oven, they are delicious.

I haven't tried Bisto, although my Mom always had it - I guess that's why she made such good gravy!

• 3 weeks later...

I'm doing a 24h cook of several Jimmy Dean sausage chubs that were from the freezer.  I'm doing 145F.  It's about 18h's in so far.   (I pick these chubs up cheap on Amazon Fresh delivery, they've been on super sale for a few weeks and each time I need to round off delivery for "free", I add a few of those and chuck into the freezer.  It was reaching critical mass in there though.)

I did make a mistake though, I had a small bag of char siu pork loin frozen, so I though we'd use that for dinner.   I threw that bag in the water without really thinking it through.  It was in the 145F water for hours and by the time dinner was expected, it was overcooked and stringy.   We made it into an ersatz pulled pork using Girard's Champagne dressing, it was edible, but just barely.  I thought I was using a shortcut, but no.  

Edited by lemniscate (log)
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, lemniscate said:

I'm doing a 24h cook of several Jimmy Dean sausage chubs that were from the freezer.  I'm doing 145F.  It's about 18h's in so far.   (I pick these chubs up cheap on Amazon Fresh delivery, they've been on super sale for a few weeks and each time I need to round off delivery for "free", I add a few of those and chuck into the freezer.  It was reaching critical mass in there though.)

Can you explain this a little more?  Are you referring to the 1 pound tubes of breakfast sausage?  And you do them whole, in their packaging?  Do you then slice and brown them as needed?  I'm intrigued!  

@lemniscate 

excellent.

I did not know those ' tube ' sausages were called chubs.

I personally prefer Jones chubs to others ive tried 

in the past , when the J.C's were on sale

I purchased a few .  the J.C.'s were the sausage I used in

my turkey stuffing ...

so Id put one hub in a SV bag, Id cut off the metal rimper

and SV the several , @ 130.1  , until pasturize

the freeze.

Id slice off a tranche 

then , just get color soon easy side 

and have breakfast sausage !

ie I didn't have to pay much attention to it, in a pan on low heat.

so

its an idea that's worth thinking about. 

3 hours ago, Kim Shook said:

Can you explain this a little more?  Are you referring to the 1 pound tubes of breakfast sausage?  And you do them whole, in their packaging?  Do you then slice and brown them as needed?  I'm intrigued!  

Yes, the 1 lb tubes.  Yes, whole and frozen.   I peel the original wrapping off and put into a sous vide bag.   Cook for 18-24h.  Then slice and brown and repack.

This was initially a Chefsteps technique.  I found a post about it on the Facebook feed that maybe you can access.   Also a many years old CS community posts regarding the technique.

I've done this one and off over the years.  I've done the 3lb tubes/chubs SV.   My Costco no longer sells JD sausage in the chub.  So I just buy on sale and hoard until I feel like doing a large SV batch.  I had 6 lbs today.

Then....I take the bag juices and separate the fat.   I make a roux with it and add the bag juices to it to make sausage gravy.  Intense flavored gravy too.

Here's my previous post about it

from 2020

• Thanks 4

8 minutes ago, lemniscate said:

Yes, the 1 lb tubes.  Yes, whole and frozen.   I peel the original wrapping off and put into a sous vide bag.   Cook for 18-24h.  Then slice and brown and repack.

This was initially a Chefsteps technique.  I found a post about it on the Facebook feed that maybe you can access.   Also a many years old CS community posts regarding the technique.

I've done this one and off over the years.  I've done the 3lb tubes/chubs SV.   My Costco no longer sells JD sausage in the chub.  So I just buy on sale and hoard until I feel like doing a large SV batch.  I had 6 lbs today.

Then....I take the bag juices and separate the fat.   I make a roux with it and add the bag juices to it to make sausage gravy.  Intense flavored gravy too.

Here's my previous post about it

from 2020

I somehow missed that.  What a great method!  We love JD sausage and I'll definitely be doing this.  

• 1 month later...

Just put a small chuck eye in the bath at 56.5°C and I will let it go for 24 hours. This was one of my unexpected food gifts. 

Edited by Anna N
Typos (log)
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

28 minutes ago, Anna N said:

JustJust and put a small chuck eye in the bath at 56.5°C and I will let it go for 24 hours. This was one of my unexpected food gifts. 

That should be good eating.  It looked like a lovely piece of meat.

• Like 1

Made surf and turf for my dad’s birthday.

63A46132-D695-4F43-B658-480A26982FBB.thumb.jpeg.ca1e5f3b5386470d9d64c67f937d67c8.jpeg

Cut the fat cap off the rib roast and rendered it down. Used that beef fat to throw an epic sear on the roast in my trusty Darto No. 27. Then into the bag with more beef fat for five hours at 135F. Then a final oven sear at 500F with convection.

When I pulled the roast from the bath, I upped the temp to 140F and dropped the lobster in. I butterflied the tails and tucked the meat back into the shell. Then I put all my mother's teaspoons into a Ziplock bag and sealed it up using the displacement method. I put those spoons in a chamber vacuum bag with a pound of Kerrygold butter and some lemon zest. The spoons keep the bag from floating, since butter is lighter than water. The lobster tails went in for like 45 minutes while I finished up. The mashed potatoes hung out in the bath too, keeping warm for "service." When everyone was ready, I pulled the lobster tails, untucked the meat from its shell, covered the flesh with a generous amount of cubed butter, and broiled them briefly. The texture was exquisite. I wish I'd made more.

Another bonus of cooking the lobster this way is that you end up with a bag filled with lobster-infused butter, and you can just pour the clarified butter off the top of the bag. The lemon peel does impart a nice flavor to the butter as well. 

Edited by btbyrd (log)
  • Like 5
  • Delicious 3

39 minutes ago, btbyrd said:

Then into the bag with more beef fat for five hours at 135C. Then a final oven sear at 500F with convection

I hope the temperature is a typo.  

39 minutes ago, btbyrd said:

Then into the bag with more beef fat for five hours at 135C

• Haha 2
  • Confused 1

My 2004 eG Blog

Getting some beef ready for fridge and freezer. Sous vide’d London Broil, sirloin steak, and rib steaks at 54.5 C for 2.5 hours.

Started a beef tongue at 70 C that I will pull from the bath tomorrow night.

2 hours ago, btbyrd said:

Made surf and turf for my dad’s birthday.

63A46132-D695-4F43-B658-480A26982FBB.thumb.jpeg.ca1e5f3b5386470d9d64c67f937d67c8.jpeg

Cut the fat cap off the rib roast and rendered it down. Used that beef fat to throw an epic sear on the roast in my trusty Darto No. 27. Then into the bag with more beef fat for five hours at 135F. Then a final oven sear at 500F with convection.

When I pulled the roast from the bath, I upped the temp to 140F and dropped the lobster in. I butterflied the tails and tucked the meat back into the shell. Then I put all my mother's teaspoons into a Ziplock bag and sealed it up using the displacement method. I put those spoons in a chamber vacuum bag with a pound of Kerrygold butter and some lemon zest. The spoons keep the bag from floating, since butter is lighter than water. The lobster tails went in for like 45 minutes while I finished up. The mashed potatoes hung out in the bath too, keeping warm for "service." When everyone was ready, I pulled the lobster tails, untucked the meat from its shell, covered the flesh with a generous amount of cubed butter, and broiled them briefly. The texture was exquisite. I wish I'd made more.

Another bonus of cooking the lobster this way is that you end up with a bag filled with lobster-infused butter, and you can just pour the clarified butter off the top of the bag. The lemon peel does impart a nice flavor to the butter as well. 

I swear I'm drooling.  Two of my favorite foods in the world - lobster and rib roast!

I'm planning to finally try the SV then fry method for fried chicken tomorrow.  I've got seven drumsticks that I sucked and froze last month.  Got them thawed and will follow Kenji's directions to prep them.  One thing - his directions indicate that you fry the chicken right after taking out of the water bath.  Can you cool the chicken before frying and should you dredge it while it is hot or can you wait to do that, too?  Thanks!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Maybe this should go in Absurdly Stupid Questions, but I just bought a couple pounds of lovely young carrots.

Should I sous vide them all, then reheat as needed?

Here's the Anova carrot recipe but I'm thinking of using the Joule (bags) so that I can store the cooked carrots for a while.

How long will sous vided and vacuum sealed carrots keep in the fridge?