• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What Are You Cooking Sous Vide Today? (Part 3)

FrogPrincesse

2 hours ago, kayb said:

A friend posted on FB yesterday about smoking beef ribs. Which got me to thinking. Would it work if I SV’d the beef short ribs in my freezer, say, 36 hours at 135, and then smoked them for a couple of hours?

Would be best to take it out of the freezer before cooking. 😛

But yeah, SV followed by smoking is a common practice. Nathan Mhyrvold suggests that when doing this the most important thing is getting the moisture content of the meat's surface right. If it's too dry, the aromatic molecules in the smoke won't adhere. If it's too wet, the molecules will adhere to the juices ... and then drip off. You're aiming for a surface that feels tacky. 

His trick is to go from the SV bag to a warm oven. Maybe 200°F? Just long enough to achieve that tackiness. Then into the smoker. If you do this, you should be able to get a deep smoked flavor with very little smoking time. 

• Like 5

Notes from the underbelly

• 3 weeks later...

I SV'd a couple of pork chops today, but Mr. Kim wanted to go out after work tonight, so I took the bag out of the water and put it in the refrigerator unopened.  They were completely cooked and just needed to be seared in a pan.  What should I do to bring it up to temperature tomorrow when we want to eat it?  I did them at 145F for 3 1/2 hours.  

My usual rule is: from refrigerator,  1 hour at original temp less 5°. If it's frozen, then add another 45 minutes.

Edited to add: this is my opinion (after a bit of reading), not science. 😃

Edited by TdeV
Clarity. (log)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• 2 weeks later...

@kayb I've successfully smoked meat after SV.  I use a Smokai smoke generator attached to my gas grill.  I use the left burner on low and place the items to smoke to the right. I think  @Duvel SV'd some goose quarters which he finished in the oven.  I decided to SV turkey leg quarters and wings for ~18 hrs @ 150 then finished on the grill for about two hours. 

IMG_20221124_153218803.thumb.jpg.cb4d8c12105c4b1f83ce82bb0e67d209.jpg

Here's the collection of turkey cuts from two birds prepped for the circulator.  Two breast halves were seasoned and bagged, two breast halves where stuffed with garlic sausage, wrapped in bacon and formed into a roulade,  the tenderloins from each bird where bacon wrapped and formed into roulades and the quarters and wings described above.  I decreased the temp of the bath to 140 for the last three hours when I added the white meat. Two leg quarters and carcasses were used for stock.

IMG_20221123_161949075.thumb.jpg.3f3c13560e0e94e42a17f7e5e2a6a2ef.jpg 

I use my homemade circulator in a 48 gt. ice chest.  I think I made this around 2012.  I have an Anova for small batch cooking.

IMG_20221123_153316816.thumb.jpg.f3be75b0a26ffe87b5cf32bc912dab64.jpg

The tenderloin and breast halves after a quick hot oil bath for color.

IMG_20221124_153133663.thumb.jpg.ee2d267145275046fdd3a2528bd8defc.jpg

IMG_20221124_154335766.thumb.jpg.0d4f38d42405ccee91977c32b86b918c.jpg

Bagged up and ready for the freezer.  One tenderloin and the stuffed breast were cooked then iced.  I re-thermalized and brown at some future time. The JVR Vac100 has been a work horse over the past year.

IMG_20221125_121707786.thumb.jpg.92f65c339a05ad42c22ba0943d9541a1.jpg

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2
  • Delicious 1

46 minutes ago, billyhill said:

1st sous vide for me today. 1/2 a deboned turkey breast. Just salt, pepper, and garlic powder. It is already gone, devoured for lunch. Made amazing sandwiches. I am completely blown away by the potential.

Turkey breast really shows off what SV can do.   I have great respect for those who can roast it in an oven and get great results; which isn't me.

At this point, SV is the only way for me; when not overcooked, the white meat shines.  Please share your future adventures.

Edited by gfweb (log)
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, billyhill said:

1st sous vide for me today. 1/2 a deboned turkey breast. Just salt, pepper, and garlic powder. It is already gone, devoured for lunch. Made amazing sandwiches. I am completely blown away by the potential.

After your roast, do a pork loin.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, rotuts said:

@billyhill 

in if St.P's day 

comes by your area 

and there are sales on the commercial 

Corned Beef 

look into that very carefully .

140 F  , 48 hrs .

But be sure that there is no added papain. The SV temp is at the enzyme's temp peak and will turn a brisket into mush

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

Just now, billyhill said:

Due to changes in dinner plans, chuck was pulled at 25 hours

20221127_134429.jpg

20221127_134539.jpg

What was your assessment of it? Will you do the same again next time, or make adjustments?

• Like 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

2 hours ago, rotuts said:

@billyhill  

Nice !

how about the chew and tenderness of the meat ?

Meltingly tender but a little less moist than hoped.  Honestly, I think this is a Wamart select grade chuck. With that in mind, the results were awesome.  The reason I went with sous vide was to elevate cheap cuts. This exceeds my expectations. 

• Like 4