• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What Are You Cooking Sous Vide Today? (Part 3)

FrogPrincesse

1 hour ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

For pork I'd skip the sous vide and the roast.  Get three thick Berkshire rib chops and grill them.  I'd be more apt to do beef sous vide myself.

I've loved the SV pork that I've done before.  I think the chops will require more last minute attention than I want.  I guess I could just buy a Costco rotisserie chicken or some big shrimp if a SV pork roast isn't feasible. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Kim Shook said:

I've loved the SV pork that I've done before.  I think the chops will require more last minute attention than I want.  I guess I could just buy a Costco rotisserie chicken or some big shrimp if a SV pork roast isn't feasible. 

Of course a sous vide pork roast is feasible if that is what you want.  However I have never seen a Berkshire roast.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

Pork loin sous vides well, and can be seared afterward for a pretty finish. Try marinating one in apple cider (the hard kind) with warm spices (cinnamon, cloves, etc.), then sous vide, chill however long you want, then combine some hard cider, honey, and spices, reduce to a fairly thick glaze, and sear and glaze. Could keep some sauce back to serve over.  Personally, I'd want some spiced baked apples with that (apples with the red hots in the middle come to mind). Also easy to do ahead. Your sweet potato latkes would go wonderfully with that, as would the broccoli. 

I SV the pork loin about six hours at 140.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 2

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

one thing about SV :   although the size / width of your item matters initially

for temperature equilibrium , it does not matter for the final ' done-ness '

i.e. Rare , Medium , and god forbid it please , Well Done.

therefore , you can get ' perfect ' done-ness on cuts that have a smaller diameter :

consider cutting that large pork loin ( the loin , not the tenderloin )

in 1/2 , lengthwise  and cooking several bags at the same time , rapid chill and freeze the extra few

very little extra work , and they  are cooked and ready to re-therm any time.

you Freezer is you SV multiplier .  keep that in mind.

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Kim Shook said:

I'm confused about this.  How did a Berkshire roast get involved here?  

Sorry.  The pork loin roasts I see are usually not well marbled.  If you have a good relationship with your butcher maybe you could find a Berkshire roast.

• Thanks 1

@JoNorvelleWalker 

well   ....

I do not think Any Pork Loin is well marbled

maybe better marbled

Porky is not Beefy , the Prime ++

so the flavor(u)r of the Berkie

is or might be consistent in all His or her parts

a loin of Berkie  might have more flavor than

ConAgra's pork

but understating  how to cook each 

and I recount SV  

so consider it.

• Like 2

I know that pork chops were ruled out as requiring too much attention, but I thought I'd plug for pork shoulder "chops" a la this ChefSteps recipe. I doubt if I'll ever buy a standard chop again. Better -- and cheaper -- than normal chops, and you'll (usually) have plenty left to stock the freezer. 

TLDW version: SV a boneless pork shoulder @140 for 24 hours. Chill. Slice and seal portions. Retherm and sear whenever you want porksteak. And don't throw away that bag jus from the pork shoulder. Boil and strain it and you've got the base for a delicious sauce or glaze. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Which brings up a question that might ought to be in Absurdly Simple Cooking Questions. I thawed a vacuum sealed, raw beef roast t'other day in the fridge. Some blood drained out of the meat into the bag. I ran the blood down the sink. I presume that's what I should have done with it, as opposed to putting it in the dish with the meat (it was destined for pot roast). The roast was a local, grass-fed, locally processed one as opposed to a feedlot steer from a packing house, if that makes a difference in this instance.

Don't ask. Eat it.

• 3 weeks later...

@kayb - I'm not sure about that.  I know to save the juices after cooking, but not sure about before.  I think I've tended to dump those, too.  I'd like to hear the answers, too.

Now I have another question.  I'd like to give this recipe a try.  It says "Place each yolk in its own small zipper lock bag. Carefully seal the bag, being careful not to break the yolk. Place the bags in the water bath and clip to the sides of the pot."  How do I clip a small baggie to the sides of a pot that is big enough to hold the Anova without wasting a HUGE amount of water making the level high enough for those tiny little bags clipped to the edge?  Am I being dense?

36 minutes ago, Kim Shook said:

Now I have another question.  I'd like to give this recipe a try.  It says "Place each yolk in its own small zipper lock bag. Carefully seal the bag, being careful not to break the yolk. Place the bags in the water bath and clip to the sides of the pot."  How do I clip a small baggie to the sides of a pot that is big enough to hold the Anova without wasting a HUGE amount of water making the level high enough for those tiny little bags clipped to the edge?  Am I being dense?

I have not done this, select a pot with short sides that can accommodate at least the minimum water depth on the Anova. Clamp the Anova in the pot and then clip empty baggies to the sides of the pot to see if they will be below the top of the water level. My fear, in my case, as I only use freezer baggies when doing Sous vide, is that the small non-freezer (snack) baggies that I have would not be able to remain intact at the temperature and time required in the recipe.

• Thanks 1

You can cook with freezer Zippies below 70C without problems. I've also cooked multiple yolks in a single bag on several occasions. Use a quart freezer bag (or a gallon if you're doing a bunch). Just be sure to add neutral oil, which helps keep them lubricated and separated. I learned this trick preparing yolks for an event where I prepared my "signature dish" for a crowd. It's "Bacon, Egg, and Cheese," cured and smoked SV pork belly stuffed with cheese and deep fried in lard, topped with a 64C yolk and some Maldon salt. Photos cuz it happened (and the photographer got a shot of my yolk sack):

1655341068_bacon_egg_cheese-YOLKS-MBQ(2).jpg.fd4879b0f68927bbec480790df633421.jpg

bacon_egg_and_cheese2.thumb.jpg.a6b7f18bd1625041a64d65406a24eae9.jpg

Tastes so good, it'll make you wanna slap your mamma!

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 2

7 hours ago, Kim Shook said:

@kayb - I'm not sure about that.  I know to save the juices after cooking, but not sure about before.  I think I've tended to dump those, too.  I'd like to hear the answers, too.

Are you suffering draught in Virginia?  I'd be inclined to cook the eggs in the shell and then remove the yolk.  Might work, might not.  I tie my whole eggs in sandwich bags so that if an eventuality occurs I don't have to degunk the anova.

Of course these days I'd forget about trying to bag the eggs and cook just them in the APO.

Edited by JoNorvelleWalker (log)
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Are you suffering draught in Virginia?  I'd be inclined to cook the eggs in the shell and then remove the yolk.  Might work, might not.  I tie my whole eggs in sandwich bags so that if an eventuality occurs I don't have to degunk the anova.

Of course these days I'd forget about trying to bag the eggs and cook just them in the APO.

Oh, dear God. Eggs in the APO. Please do enlighten me. It may push me over the edge (not that something is not, at least  between now and prime day...)

• Haha 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

1 minute ago, kayb said:

Oh, dear God. Eggs in the APO. Please do enlighten me. It may push me over the edge (not that something is not, at least  between now and prime day...)

Anova has a recipe for nice looking hard boiled eggs but feel free to set whatever temperature for your eggs you like.  (Although for pasteurization at 55C I still might use a circulator and water bath rather than the oven.)

https://oven.anovaculinary.com/recipe/u4G0Y5wlIHADRVZObziu

14 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Thank you, but I don't think doing that will give the right texture.  

On 10/8/2020 at 5:11 PM, btbyrd said:

I prepared my "signature dish" for a crowd. It's "Bacon, Egg, and Cheese," cured and smoked SV pork belly stuffed with cheese and deep fried in lard, topped with a 64C yolk and some Maldon salt.

Gosh, that looks so good! What kind of cheese and how did you stuff the pork belly?

37 minutes ago, TdeV said:

Gosh, that looks so good! What kind of cheese and how did you stuff the pork belly?

Thanks! That time the cheese was Kerrygold red leicester. I've also used their cheddar in the past and it also holds up to the frying process. Pork belly was cold smoked and cooked 48 hours @ 60C before being chilled, pressed flat, and cut into portions. To stuff, I used a paring knife to slice a sort of pocket into the portioned rectangles of pork belly and inserted pocket-sized chunks of cheese.

Edited by btbyrd (log)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 10/9/2020 at 1:07 PM, Kim Shook said:

Thank you, but I don't think doing that will give the right texture.  

Again I have not done the experiment, but why would you expect a different texture?

I picked up a whole bunch of moulard duck legs yesterday. I froze 3 packages and was planning on sv-ing 2 packages (4 legs individually bagged).  I'm not really looking for a confit-like texture - more like a tender/juicy roast duck texture... I haven't dug out my Modernist Cuisine book in ages, but it recommends 144F for 12 hours...

What do people think about this?