• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What Are You Cooking Sous Vide Today? (Part 3)

FrogPrincesse

777791A0-A3FA-4049-8AFC-04B3AD4F7D91.thumb.jpeg.f77d6ddab6beb5bf13a8b307d408e75d.jpeg

A small pork loin and a small pork tenderloin. They are swimming together at 58°C. I will give them about two hours.

• Like 6

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Found some massive pork chops for a great deal at Food Lion the other day.  These were $4.99 for almost 2 lbs.:

IMG_3087.jpg.11af4969a82de90577a6f4a73bb93822.jpg

IMG_3088.jpg.10b8c5b179b39a665a7c6af4d10996e4.jpg

I rubbed them with Penzey’s Ozark seasoning and sous vide them at 144F for 4 hours, then seared in an iron skillet in ghee:

IMG_3094.jpg.ccc454ffa14a6d61a7b5834e81d8fbe1.jpg

They were very good and tender and had a lot of flavor for a supermarket pork.  We wished we'd bought more - I'm going back today to see if they have any left!

• Like 10

3D291DF7-CC69-4F11-AE1C-8560FC9C79B8.thumb.jpeg.015561bfd54d699b53b8adc86ff9ca51.jpeg

Toulouse sausages — homemade – but not by me! Sous vide from frozen for two hours at 68.3°C then dried off and browned in the oven at 450°F for 10 minutes.

• Like 8
  • Delicious 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

On 8/14/2020 at 6:30 PM, Anna N said:

3D291DF7-CC69-4F11-AE1C-8560FC9C79B8.thumb.jpeg.015561bfd54d699b53b8adc86ff9ca51.jpeg

Toulouse sausages — homemade – but not by me! Sous vide from frozen for two hours at 68.3°C then dried off and browned in the oven at 450°F for 10 minutes.

Ditto - but only one hour at 69ºC and big green egg

IMG_1839.thumb.jpeg.39a2427bf6e6de787831b140ceea0c32.jpeg

• Like 7

I want to sous vide some whole garlic cloves. I've seen recipes for sous vide "garlic confit" where whole cloves are bagged with oil and cooked at 190 F for a few hours but the result isn't what I'm after. The garlic cloves are whole and intact but easily smashed and spreadable. I want them still be fairly firm because I plan to mix them whole into my summer sausage base. They will get some additional cooking time when I smoke the sausages but I pull them at ~155 F so I'm thinking giving the garlic a headstart would be a good idea. Ideally, I'd like the end result in the finished sausage to be somewhere around the texture of a waxy boiled potato and without the raw garlic sharpness. Would simply reducing the tank time for the garlic confit recipe be enough? Or maybe dry bagging without the oil? Or should I be looking at an entirely different approach?

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

2 hours ago, Shelby said:

Found a beef tongue that we had corned in the freezer.  Decided to go 48 hours at 158F.  Perfect.  Very tender.

thumbnail_IMG_8126.jpg.90200bfaadcda0df041ab6acde524c47.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_8127.jpg.25d8a105278107c1824de668d0f24511.jpg

I've never had tongue.  It kinda gives me the shivers, but I'd try it and I bet I'd like it if I could get past the idea of it.  (It looks much better sliced than whole.)

Edited by Kim Shook (log)
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Kim Shook said:

I've never had tongue.  It kinda gives me the shivers, but I'd try it and I bet I'd like it if I could get past the idea of it.  (It looks much better sliced than whole.)

I have never cooked it but when I was a kid, my mother did.  I liked it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Kim Shook said:

If I didn't know it was tongue, I'd have thought it was really tender corned beef.  I think you'd like it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Kim Shook said:

Order lengua for your taco next time you visit a Mexican restuarant. 😁

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/18/2020 at 8:01 AM, Tri2Cook said:

I want to sous vide some whole garlic cloves. I've seen recipes for sous vide "garlic confit" where whole cloves are bagged with oil and cooked at 190 F for a few hours but the result isn't what I'm after. The garlic cloves are whole and intact but easily smashed and spreadable. I want them still be fairly firm because I plan to mix them whole into my summer sausage base. They will get some additional cooking time when I smoke the sausages but I pull them at ~155 F so I'm thinking giving the garlic a headstart would be a good idea. Ideally, I'd like the end result in the finished sausage to be somewhere around the texture of a waxy boiled potato and without the raw garlic sharpness. Would simply reducing the tank time for the garlic confit recipe be enough? Or maybe dry bagging without the oil? Or should I be looking at an entirely different approach?

I'm bumping your question up to see if anyone has an answer, or whether you already tried it and if so how you liked it.

My other question would be whether 190F for a few hours is enough to kill botulism in that anoxic environment. I don't know. Somebody here knows, perhaps you already do?

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

1 hour ago, Smithy said:

I'm bumping your question up to see if anyone has an answer, or whether you already tried it and if so how you liked it.

My other question would be whether 190F for a few hours is enough to kill botulism in that anoxic environment. I don't know. Somebody here knows, perhaps you already do?

As far as I know 190 is high enough to prevent proliferation and toxin production during the cooking. Whether it kills spores is a function of temp and time and I don't have that table available., but that really isn't the issue.

The answer lies somewhere in this long  thing from FDA 

6 hours ago, Smithy said:

4 hours ago, gfweb said:

As far as I know 190 is high enough to prevent proliferation and toxin production during the cooking. Whether it kills spores is a function of temp and time and I don't have that table available., but that really isn't the issue.

Hmmm... if the garlic being cooked SV and then cooked again in the sausage during the smoking process isn't going to be enough, I'll just move on to other ideas. I don't want big pieces of garlic in my summer sausage badly enough to be ok with botulism coming along for the ride. 

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

1 hour ago, btbyrd said:

I'd just blanch the garlic a time or two.

won't kill spores.

reaching way back in my memory...it takes something like 240F for 15 minutes to kill spores...in other words, pressure cooker temps.

Edited by gfweb (log)

On 7/31/2020 at 8:59 AM, Anna N said:

Not exactly cooking anything sous vide but I am thawing out a duck breast. I have never been pleased with the result of actually cooking a duck breast sous vide but it’s a fast and safe way to defrost.

I swear I use my SV device more to thaw food than to cook it  these days 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, scubadoo97 said:

I swear I use my SV device more to thaw food than to cook it  these days 

I do use it to thaw, but often on the way to a SV cook.  Probably cook SV stuff once or twice a week

• Like 2

I had a bunch of frozen raw beef fat trim from making beef jerky.  Eye of round was on a clearance sale, so I bought some and ground it with the extra fat.   Mixed it with mushroom powder/tomato powder/smoked paprika and various other spices.  Used rolled oats instead of bread and some pureed veg.   Formed into fist sized meatballs and stashed in the freezer until frozen.  Vac packed & SV'd for a goodly time at 140F.    Meatballs for sandwiches, or as an entree with sauce.   Lots of big meatballs.

• Like 2
  • Delicious 1

12 hours ago, gfweb said:

I do use it to thaw, but often on the way to a SV cook.  Probably cook SV stuff once or twice a week

I do a lot more sous vide then freezing than I do freezing then sous vide

• Like 2

It's almost never bad to feed someone.

• 2 weeks later...

I would like some advice, please.  We will almost certainly NOT be doing our regular Christmas Eve extravaganza this year.  The idea of having 10 people in our little house horrifies me, not to mention our usual 30-40.  This is going to be a hard holiday - Covid, no Xmas Eve party (as far as I know this is a tradition in my family going back at LEAST 80 years) and, worst of all, my first Christmas without my mom.  So, hard and weird - no way around that.  But I'd still like it to be special.  I'm still doing all of my "goody" making and we plan on spending the day of Xmas Eve with the three of us packing tins with goodies, blasting classic Xmas music, and delivering the tins.  After all of that excess verbiage, I come to my point.  I'd like to have a main dish that I don't have to babysit and sides that I can make ahead.  This is the menu that Jessica and I have come up with:

Pork Roast

Gravy

Sweet Potato Latkes (Jessica)

Fruit Salad

Broccoli Gratin w/ Streusel

Garlic Mushrooms (Jessica)

Cornbread

The gravy, latkes, fruit salad, broccoli, and cornbread can all be made ahead or at least prepped ahead.  I'd really love to SV the pork roast.  There will only be 3 of us (I wouldn't mind having some leftovers).  I have access to a great butcher.  What cut of meat should I get so that I can SV and sear at the end?  Do I ask for a good fat cap?  Help, please.  Thank you all so much!