• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What Are You Cooking Sous Vide Today? (Part 3)

FrogPrincesse

3 hours ago, lindag said:

I’ve got fresh beets on my grocery order.

CI recommends olive oil, beets, sherry vinegar, thyme, s&p.

191F for 4 to 6 hours.

I LOVE beets!

I too am a huge beet fan, but I like mine with balsamic rather than sherry vinegar.

1 hour ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

I'm anovaing some pork back ribs at the moment, 58C.

Hmm. I’ve a rack or two in the freezer waiting for me to smoke them. 
But I find bbq ribs an overrated PITA. 

10 minutes ago, gfweb said:

Hmm. I’ve a rack or two in the freezer waiting for me to smoke them. 
But I find bbq ribs an overrated PITA. 

Not for bbq.

• Like 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

12 hours ago, ElsieD said:

I too am a huge beet fan, but I like mine with balsamic rather than sherry vinegar.

If you like 'em with balsamic, try pomegranate molasses sometime. A similar balance of sweet and tart, but with some nice fruity notes. And the color is much more complementary. :P

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

When I start cooking in my circulator I sometimes want to move the unit to another area in the kitchen to get it out of my work area (it cooks for such a long time).

if I unplug it and move it to another outlet does it lose its memory (mine is a Joule)?  Then what?

4 hours ago, lindag said:

When I start cooking in my circulator I sometimes want to move the unit to another area in the kitchen to get it out of my work area (it cooks for such a long time).

if I unplug it and move it to another outlet does it lose its memory (mine is a Joule)?  Then what?

Then buy an anova.

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, lindag said:

The Joule was specifically aimed at people who did not want a huge set up in their kitchen. It will work in almost any pot. I frequently use it in the stainless steel insert of my Instant Pot. I love the Joule because it gave me back my kitchen real estate! 

• Like 2

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

The beets turned great.  I used the CI recipe for my first attempt.  Went for 6-1/2 hours because they were pretty big.

so good tha I’m ordering more to try with the balsamic and with the pomegranate molasses.

No such thing as too many beets.

• Like 2

If anyone wants to tiptoe into the sous vide experience at a very inexpensive cost, I have an extra brand new Secura model sv-617 and an Anova vac sealer also new, never used and at least a 100 vac bags, two sizes.  These were Gifts and I already have both a sous vide circulator I have used only a few times and my big vac sealer and several boxes of the bag strips where you make your own sizes.

The Anova vac sealer is new on the market.

$60. plus shipping.  Will not be a lot if you are on the West coast.  weight total of the items is 9 pounds.  You can go to USPS click and ship to calculate the cost. my zip code is 93535

I am running out of room to store things.      Contact me by  Private mail.

Could be a gift for someone too.

Edited by andiesenji (log)
  • Like 2

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

I broke down a packer brisket this morning, removing point from flat.  Both are in the SV bath and will get used for a get together on my daughter’s birthday the 25th aka Christmas, along with her in-laws and family and a few friends.   

interestingly, the vac bags have puffed and are now floating after a few hours in the bag.   I did sprinkle some pink curing salt on the surface of the meat to force a pink “smoke ring”.     I plan to finish the meat on the grill or smoker on the day to be served 

I  used a steel sharpening plate to hold them down but am thinking of rebagging since I really want them to be fully submerged 

Okay so just rebagged, removing air and any liquid that had formed.   The liquid was quite salty from the pink curing salt.   Multiple clay tiles applied to make sure they stay submerged.  Fingers crossed

• Like 1

1 hour ago, scubadoo97 said:

I broke down a packer brisket this morning, removing point from flat.  Both are in the SV bath and will get used for a get together on my daughter’s birthday the 25th aka Christmas, along with her in-laws and family and a few friends.   

interestingly, the vac bags have puffed and are now floating after a few hours in the bag.   I did sprinkle some pink curing salt on the surface of the meat to force a pink “smoke ring”.     I plan to finish the meat on the grill or smoker on the day to be served 

I  used a steel sharpening plate to hold them down but am thinking of rebagging since I really want them to be fully submerged 

Okay so just rebagged, removing air and any liquid that had formed.   The liquid was quite salty from the pink curing salt.   Multiple clay tiles applied to make sure they stay submerged.  Fingers crossed

I would be worried. I have never had a bag of meat puff up nor have I ever had a properly vacuum sealed package of meat float. Vegetables float for sure unless you can weigh them down. But meat?  Hope somebody else chimes in on this. 

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

1 hour ago, lindag said:

I bought a box of food safe sous vide weights that go inside the bags to keep contents submerged.

Weights.

I like the idea of a weight but I have concerns about what "Himalayan stone" may be.

@scubadoo97, I have had meat puff up quite a few times. Twice the lamb shanks smelled off (to me): once DH thought they smelled fine and ate anyway (nothing untoward happened to him or MIL) , once I threw away; ALL the other times, the meat was fine.

The explanation I read is that the inflated bag is pressurized vapour.

I think you could tell by smell. But you won't know until you open the bag, so a backup plan might be wise.

5 hours ago, Anna N said:

I would be worried. I have never had a bag of meat puff up nor have I ever had a properly vacuum sealed package of meat float. Vegetables float for sure unless you can weigh them down. But meat?  Hope somebody else chimes in on this. 

Me neither but....This was in the first hour of cooking.  Again I had applied pink salt and liquid smoke in the bag.  After rebagging all is snug as a rug.  It was a cryo packed whole brisket from Costco.  I ate a burger, medium rare ,  made from the trimmings with no issues