• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What Are You Cooking Sous Vide Today? (Part 3)

FrogPrincesse

Just put some pork shoulder steaks in to SV, sprinkled with a bit of Penzey's Greek seasoning. Tomorrow, I'll take them out and smoke them for pre-Labor Day Sunday dinner with the kids. Thinking in terms of potatoes in cheese sauce, baked beans and fried okra on the side. Planning to make a banana pudding if I get up early enough, or get ambitious enough tonight.

Steaks, which are doggoned near a pound apiece, farm-raised, will go 12-16 hours at 145 and then get coated with a glaze of fig jam and balsamic vinegar to go in the smoker for 30-40 minutes or so. Should be primo. These people raise good pork.

• Like 3

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

Some advice, please.  Mr. Kim is making pork chops tonight.  We bought a big package of them from Costco.  Boneless loin 1 1/2 to 2-inches thick.  When he has taken his out, there will be 6 left.  I'd like to go ahead and "suck" them 2 at a time.  I don't know what I'll be doing with them, but most likely sous vide no matter what.  Should I just bung them in the bags as is?  Or should I preseason in some way that will work for lots of different preparations?  I hate the thought of sucking them now and again later if I need to season.  Seems wasteful.  Thanks!!!

13 minutes ago, Kim Shook said:

Some advice, please.  Mr. Kim is making pork chops tonight.  We bought a big package of them from Costco.  Boneless loin 1 1/2 to 2-inches thick.  When he has taken his out, there will be 6 left.  I'd like to go ahead and "suck" them 2 at a time.  I don't know what I'll be doing with them, but most likely sous vide no matter what.  Should I just bung them in the bags as is?  Or should I preseason in some way that will work for lots of different preparations?  I hate the thought of sucking them now and again later if I need to season.  Seems wasteful.  Thanks!!!

I'd season with a bit of salt, black pepper and garlic and then bag 'em up :) 

• Thanks 1

Just now, Kim Shook said:

Thank you, ma'am - also for the tomato peeling advice - MUCH easier!  Fresh or powdered garlic?

Oh excellent!  They are much easier that way :)  Glad I could help.

Powdered.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Rib eye roast, preseared and 8h @ 131F. Finished for 5 min in a hot convection oven at full blast ...

I was very surprised by the little amount of osmazome produced. It made for a very nice pan sauce with a bit of Philadelphia added. The beef was quite tender; next iteration will see only 6h.

Other than that, I liked it - will make my regular rotation for this cut.

2E337F3C-387D-4270-A9FF-1D10A2579731.jpeg

594F7329-2790-494D-963F-0879C92BD967.jpeg

48F7F6B0-40A5-41AA-B43C-1776603567B9.jpeg

F7ECAAE6-6D60-49EB-BF46-23F530890711.jpeg

BCA5353B-51A5-4549-84AB-E4A00A241996.jpeg

• Like 6
  • Delicious 1

1 hour ago, Duvel said:

Rib eye roast, preseared and 8h @ 131F. Finished for 5 min in a hot convection oven at full blast ...

Not that a ribeye roast is all that likely in the near future but I would still love to know how many kg it weighed. 

• Like 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

41 minutes ago, Anna N said:

Not that a ribeye roast is all that likely in the near future but I would still love to know how many kg it weighed. 

That was a 1.45 kg piece. 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Duvel said:

I was very surprised by the little amount of osmazome produced. It made for a very nice pan sauce with a bit of Philadelphia added. The beef was quite tender; next iteration will see only 6h.

Other than that, I liked it - will make my regular rotation for this cut.

As I am from Philadelphia I have to ask:  what is Philadelphia in context?

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

29 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Different city though!

No idea. That's what it's called here. And in Germany. And in Spain. And Japan. And pretty much any other country I have lived & cooked in. You sort it out, I enjoy ...

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I have a sirloin tip roast - almost 4-inches thick and 4.3 lbs.  How do I handle this?  Thanks!!!  

ETA:  I should say that I did do some research and someone at amazingfoodmadeeasy.com suggested 131F for 13-48 hours (!!!!!).  As you can imagine, that timing has me stymied.

Edited by Kim Shook (log)

4 hours ago, Kim Shook said:

I have a sirloin tip roast - almost 4-inches thick and 4.3 lbs.  How do I handle this?  Thanks!!!  

I would start by looking at Duvel’s experience with his 1.45 kg/3lb rib roast.  He cooked it for eight hours at 131°F /55°C.  I suspect that even though your roast weighs a pound more his numbers would work reasonably well for you. If you want to get a little more well done then I would move the temperature up.  

Here is a link to his post. 

Edited by Anna N
Add a link to Duvel’s post. (log)
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

5 hours ago, Kim Shook said:

ETA:  I should say that I did do some research and someone at amazingfoodmadeeasy.com suggested 131F for 13-48 hours (!!!!!).  As you can imagine, that timing has me stymied.

As @Anna N mentioned, I recently did a rib eye roast @131F for 8h with presear. For my taste it was a bit too tender, so I'd aim for 6h next time.

I think that the weight doesn't matter as much as the dimensions of the roast. If you look at the pictures, my one was around 8-9 cm at the thinnest part. So that would be cooked to my liking at 6h ... With your 4 inches it should just take a little bit more, and given that sirloin tip roast might be a bit chewier than rib eye, I'd say 8h @131F should be a good starting point if you like the doneness you see in my pictures.

Although I wasn't a fan before I highly recommend the presear now. It helps to very quickly create a nice surface crust after the SV in the hot convection oven (less than 5 min), so it minimizes the overcooking of the outer layer ...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• 2 weeks later...

The local Shoprite is now selling Angus Prime brand beef, beef that is labeled USDA Prime.  I took home a nice looking ribeye.  Since I don't typically consume a whole steak in one sitting I dissected off the deckle.  Both portions are now bagged.

My question:  what temperature is optimum for deckle?

1 hour ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

The local Shoprite is now selling Angus Prime brand beef, beef that is labeled USDA Prime.  I took home a nice looking ribeye.  Since I don't typically consume a whole steak in one sitting I dissected off the deckle.  Both portions are now bagged.

My question:  what temperature is optimum for deckle?

I recently did this with ribeye cap-only prime steaks from costco.

It depends--I like medium rare towards rare, so because these things are so good as-is, I did a simple 54C  for 60-90m give or take.

Shown here--hope this is not too red for you? But ohmigosh so tender and juicy..

(served with 85C fingerlings+carrots and a port-infused demi-glace sauce. Toppings are just Texas Toothpicks--yum yum)

cap-steak.thumb.jpeg.684c87db8c12767ccb7d56f499099217.jpeg

Edited by iggiggiggy
clarification: 'ribeye' cap steak, which is ribeye deckle (log)
  • Like 4

8 minutes ago, iggiggiggy said:

I recently did this with cap-only prime steaks from costco.

It depends--I like medium rare towards rare, so because these things are so good as-is, I did a simple 54C  for 60-90m give or take.

Shown here--hope this is not too red for you? But ohmigosh so tender and juicy..

(served with 85C fingerlings+carrots and a port-infused demi-glace sauce. Toppings are just Texas Toothpicks--yum yum)

cap-steak.thumb.jpeg.684c87db8c12767ccb7d56f499099217.jpeg

Thank you.  I didn't want to prejudice the answer by saying I usually anova my ribeye at 55C.  Kenji has suggested that well marbled prime might be cooked a little higher.  Tonight's ribeye (minus of course the deckle) is about to come out of the bath at 55.5.

Intuition told me the deckle muscle might go higher still.  I could be wrong.  No rush, still time for many more opinions.

4 hours ago, iggiggiggy said:

Did 55.5 work for you? Thoughts compared to the other cuts?

Sadly I seared the eye longer than optimum.  I think I'll stick to 55.0 which has worked well in the past.

Tonight I plan to cook the deckle but still undecided on the temperature.  There is a thread about cooking deckle but that was before sous vide ...at least before sous vide for me:

https://forums.egullet.org/topic/84171-deckle-a-long-overlooked-cut-of-beef/