• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What Are You Cooking Sous Vide Today? (Part 3)

FrogPrincesse

7 hours ago, weedy said:

I find the 12l cambro is the perfect size for most things. 

But that would mean dumping out my flour. xD

• Like 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Last night I carefully anovaed another pork chop to 58C.

Then I broiled it for twenty minutes to get the texture to what pork should be.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

1 1/2 inch Costco Pork Loin Chops.  131F for 1 1/2 hours.  Perfectly cooked and really moist.  Mushroom/bacon sauce, baby potatoes done in the CSO and grilled zucchini brushed with Harissa to accompany the beautiful pork.  While the chops were in there I tossed in our lamb shoulder chops for tonight.

DSC02646.thumb.jpg.7d3f292b10b7c1b54df5eb9bc568a85f.jpgDSC02645.thumb.jpg.9e905d8300dfeb0d85865e936488322c.jpgDSC02643.thumb.jpg.a5298c97f533d36a478c153e536069a8.jpg

• Like 4
  • Delicious 1

Looks very much like the sous vide supreme. Click  

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

2 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

Agreed, but for 40 bucks, it costs a whole lot less.

Indeed and if it works as well as the Sous  Vide Supreme then it is a bargain. I sent my SVS to a new home.  It had a large footprint and was very heavy once it was full of water so I would want to know that this one has a spigot!  

My 2004 eG Blog

@weedy

exactly.

and if one is patient 

w the Anova Bluetooth

one might get that for 90 USD or less.

times do change

I started w the SVMagic

from CA

and loved it for so many years.

is still works , a bit rusty , but I can use it for very large cooks

in a very large beer cooler

ie On Sale , carefully selected , corned beef, 2 weeks before St.P's day

now that I know how to cook these , then cold smoke

Out Standing Sandwiches all the time,

10 minutes ago, weedy said:

When there are $99 circulatory I think the days of non-circulating water baths like the SVS are passed. 

Or should be. 

One thing it can do better than the circulating ones is heat milk for those who like to make cheese. No additional container needed. 

My 2004 eG Blog

@Anna N

in the SVS ?

OK

Im betting in can be done better

w a chamberVac w an oil pump

then he ' bags of milk '

already have a ' container ' for delivery

as such

Im sure you might have a friend or two w a CV wOP ?

1 minute ago, rotuts said:

@Anna N

in the SVS ?

OK

Im betting in can be done better

w a chamberVac w an oil pump

then he ' bags of milk '

already have a ' container ' for delivery

as such

Im sure you might have a friend or two w a CV wOP ?

Don’t think so. You need to be able to add cultures to the milk and dip out curds. Wouldn’t work well in a closed system. 

My 2004 eG Blog

7 hours ago, Anna N said:

Don’t think so. You need to be able to add cultures to the milk and dip out curds. Wouldn’t work well in a closed system. 

How about a bain marie in the bath?  Or if you can get by with a smaller volume and not as perfect temperature regulation, a KitchenAid P.H.M.B.  Cheese I have not tried but it works well for yogurt.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

I have an anova and a sous vide supreme. The SVS does a great job with long cooks of big stuff.  It's probably not as precise as a circulator, but I'm not doing PCR , I'm making corned beef.  To me the big downside is the footprint as @Anna N noted, but I have a big basement.  If it works and you have space  , $40 is a bargain.  Probably more reliable than a circulator as there are no moving parts. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Anna N said:

One thing it can do better than the circulating ones is heat milk for those who like to make cheese. No additional container needed. 

“Better” is a judgment call. 

You cant submerge it to CLEAN it so I’d much rather use a (washable) hotel pan in the bath with a circulator. 

4 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

How about a bain marie in the bath?  Or if you can get by with a smaller volume and not as perfect temperature regulation, a KitchenAid P.H.M.B.  Cheese I have not tried but it works well for yogurt.

Of course. I’ve done it that way.  Thing is that with the SVS you don’t need to do it that way. 

My 2004 eG Blog

3 hours ago, weedy said:

“Better” is a judgment call. 

You cant submerge it to CLEAN it so I’d much rather use a (washable) hotel pan in the bath with a circulator. 

Indeed. And I judged better.:biggrin:

• Thanks 1

My 2004 eG Blog

21 hours ago, weedy said:

Hard to call a less accurate device ‘more reliable’. 

I havent turned on my SVS since I got my first circulator. 

Accuracy and durability are different issues, no? I thought I adequately addressed the precision issue. 

• 2 weeks later...

I did Yakitori tonight and am quite pleased with the results. Chicken thigh, skin removed and cut into cubes (more or less), marinated in soy sauce, mirin and a bit of roasted sesame oil (just long enough to absorb most of the liquid). Scewered onto bamboo scewers, vacuumed and SV at 165 F for 90 min. Taken directly out of the bag and charred over the open flame of my gas stove.

Very satisfying result - tender, juicey, nice char. A keeper.

BBCE2CC9-3516-4CFA-ACD0-B3AD2454FC40.jpeg

Edited by Duvel (log)
  • Like 11