• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What Are You Cooking Sous Vide Today? (Part 3)

FrogPrincesse

5 minutes ago, Kim Shook said:

Thank you all so much.  Hoping it thaws in time for me to do it tomorrow.  Any reason not to add some onions and garlic?

I'm a bit late but I'll chime in :)

I do that exact same size of pork loin --give or take 1/2 a pound-- at 135F for 2 1/2 hours.  Done it many times.  SO tender, juicy and good.  I would not add fresh onions.  They will not cook down.  I would season the loin with garlic powder...onion powder...salt and pepper.  Add a pat of butter if you want to  sear your loin after it's done in a cast iron skillet.  You don't have to do that, of course.  It's good either way.

Also, it will be thawed enough, but I throw meat in when I start the SV machine and it's always been just fine.  If it's frozen solid I add another 30 mins.  Yours will be thawed though.  Don't be nervous.  This is easy as pie and SO good.

Edited by Shelby (log)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Kim Shook said:

Thank you all so much.  Hoping it thaws in time for me to do it tomorrow.  Any reason not to add some onions and garlic?

If you are prepared to forgo all the fancy marination and stuff you can simply bag it frozen and put it into the sous vide. That is exactly what I did with the one I just cooked!

I added a small amount of onion and two cloves of garlic to my beef shank and it didn’t seem to do any harm. Some people suggest that you don’t add raw garlic. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

1 hour ago, Kim Shook said:

No reason at all. 

I have put things in the SV bath still partially frozen, and just left them longer.

As has been noted, it's very forgiving.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

there seem to be issues w VacPacking garlic , and keeping it in the refrigerator or freezer

but if you cook it , it might be a different matter.

I do not know if it is safe to seek cooked garlic in a vac pack

other might chime in.

5 minutes ago, rotuts said:

there seem to be issues w VacPacking garlic , and keeping it in the refrigerator or freezer

but if you cook it , it might be a different matter.

I do not know if it is safe to seek cooked garlic in a vac pack

other might chime in.

I have heard fresh garlic prepared sous vide presents off flavors.  In my bags I use garlic powder, personally.  But then I am fond of garlic powder.  Nonetheless I would not be afraid of fresh garlic unless the bags were stored refrigerated.

• Thanks 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

1 minute ago, Kim Shook said:

Ok, just curious.  The recipe that I'm going to use says to cook the pork roast for 2 1/2 hours.  I just noticed on the lid to my sous vide plastic bin, it says to cook a pork roast a minimum of 18 hours.  What gives?

That's for if you were doing a big 'ole pork shoulder and you want it like pulled pork.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Shelby said:

That's for if you were doing a big 'ole pork shoulder and you want it like pulled pork.

Thank you, ma'am.  I believe that Mr. Kim would leave me if I tried to make pulled pork.  He is much too proud of his newly acquired status of smoker guy to put up with that! 

• Haha 1

So last night I did the pork loin.  It was not an unqualified success. I set it for 135.5F – and when I took it out after 3 hours, the meat temped at 130F. I ended up roasting it in the oven for a while.  Rubbed and ready to dry brine:

DSCN8419.JPG.628cc3d4510695820094e1be9d4d2b40.JPG

“Sucked” and ready to hit the pool:

DSCN8420.JPG.a2019ebfe02827341525bdd3efb65565.JPG

Cooking:

DSCN8425.thumb.JPG.e59e2b60ce3fd95a1cc515303a46c640.JPG

I decided to use the broiler to sear it.  It looks like it got too dark, but that’s just the picture – those little bits were delicious:

DSCN8426.thumb.JPG.50f946954df6c5ec2329032c4fbdab1f.JPG

Sliced:

DSCN8427.JPG.69f9e9acdc24165a29b931a316d2082a.JPG

It was really good.  Incredibly moist and porky.  I changed the rub recipe slightly.  The recipe called for something called Smoky Salt Seasoning.  We love smoked stuff, but we don’t care for smoke seasoning.  I omitted that and added some garlic and onion powders and some Penzey’s Mural of Flavor (my go-to substitute for seasoning salt).  The garlic and onion were fine, but I think I overdid the Mural of flavor.  We ended up deciding that we are actually medium-well pork people, so I think that just short of 140F. will work best for us.  Thanks for all the advice.  We are thinking steaks next. 

• Like 6

@Kim Shook

Congratulations !

what do you think made this less of a mighty fine success ?

Time in SV will get you tenderness , and temp will get you done-ness

Id only suggest  

if you like rare-med rare beef

try the lower temps and think of it as ' beef '

if you like  140  

Fine !  I don't care for lower temps for CkBr's nor turkeyBr's

so to each their own

I do love tender pork @ 130.1 though

26 minutes ago, rotuts said:

@Kim Shook

Congratulations !

what do you think made this less of a mighty fine success ?

Time in SV will get you tenderness , and temp will get you done-ness

Id only suggest  

if you like rare-med rare beef

try the lower temps and think of it as ' beef '

if you like  140  

Fine !  I don't care for lower temps for CkBr's nor turkeyBr's

so to each their own

I do love tender pork @ 130.1 though

The only thing was that it was set at 135.5F and after 3 hours it was only 130F. by my Thermapen.  But it was an inexpensive piece of pork from Kroger and not some rockstar pork from the butcher and it was so GOOD and juicy - that part was a huge success!

• Like 2
  • Delicious 1

I would be inclined to check the water in the water bath against your Thermo pen and see if the temperature you have set is the temperature it is actually reaching.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

40 minutes ago, Anna N said:

I would be inclined to check the water in the water bath against your Thermo pen and see if the temperature you have set is the temperature it is actually reaching.

Me too.  That should have been plenty of time to hit the target temp.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Kim Shook said:

The only thing was that it was set at 135.5F and after 3 hours it was only 130F. by my Thermapen.  But it was an inexpensive piece of pork from Kroger and not some rockstar pork from the butcher and it was so GOOD and juicy - that part was a huge success!

Hard to tell how thick the roast was from the pictures.  But from Baldwin's tables, if it was 2 inches or more thick, three hours was not enough cooking time to heat it through.

http://www.douglasbaldwin.com/sous-vide.html#Table_2.2

13 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Hard to tell how thick the roast was from the pictures.  But from Baldwin's tables, if it was 2 inches or more thick, three hours was not enough cooking time to heat it through.

http://www.douglasbaldwin.com/sous-vide.html#Table_2.2

Oh, God!  Just looking at tables like that gives me hives.  And it's in METRIC!!!!!  😲  But it was probably 4 inches or more.  It was a pork loin, after all.  I've never seen a 2 inch pork loin.  Thank you for the link.  I'll try to look at it later when I'm feeling a bit smarter.  😉

• Like 1

Fwiw Sous Vide dash says to pasteurize to core a 4” diameter pork cylinder it takes 9 hours at 135F

It won’t reach core temp in less than 4 hours so it’s not actually SAFE to cook it short of reaching pasterusing time. 

1 minute ago, weedy said:

Fwiw Sous Vide dash says to pasteurize to core a 4” diameter pork cylinder it takes 9 hours at 135F

It won’t reach core temp in less than 4 hours so it’s not actually SAFE to cook it short of reaching pasterusing time. 

Why would you need to pasturize it unless you were intending to store it?  

Having cooked quite a number of pork loins sous vide of various diameters and circumferences I couldn’t imagine leaving one in there for nine hours.   And I tend to lean towards the anal in regards to food safety.   To each their own.   I have no wish to engage in arguments.  

• Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog

Most of the ribs from the whole spit pig that we cooked over on the Dinner thread were on the carcass.  Usually I put them in with rest of the bones/trimmings and make stock.  But, these looked nice and meaty so I have them in the SV rig at 170F for 5 hours.  They were still a bit pink and quite chewy.  They are in with some homemade BBQ sauce.  I am hoping they are nice and tender.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Anna N said:

Why would you need to pasturize it unless you were intending to store it?  

Having cooked quite a number of pork loins sous vide of various diameters and circumferences I couldn’t imagine leaving one in there for nine hours.   And I tend to lean towards the anal in regards to food safety.   To each their own.   I have no wish to engage in arguments.  

I think the idea is that you are holding the meat in the danger zone for more than 4 hours...maybe that does not apply north of the border.

exactly.

if it's THAT thick, it won't reach temp at the core soon enough to be safe without sitting at that 'danger zone' temp for more than 4 hours.

so once you're in for 4 hrs you need to be in for long enough for pasteurization.

4 minutes ago, Kim Shook said:

Ok, I've watched this exchange.  My question is, if it is dangerous to cook this roast for only 2 1/2 hours, why is that recipe on the Anova site?

All I know is that I've done pork loin--but maybe it's not that thick...but I'm sure it's close--at the time and temp I listed above many many times.  Never had any problems.

• Like 1