• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What Are You Cooking Sous Vide Today? (Part 3)

FrogPrincesse

@Thanks for the Crepes, I agree on grocery store short ribs. The best ones I've cooked come with my quarter-steer share each year. My farmers, bless them, know I like a lot of cuts many people don't care for, so I get lots of beef shank, soup bones, short ribs, etc, and less ground beef. I love my farmers!

I think my favorite short rib is to cook it much like I would a pot roast, with lots of onion and red wine and garlic, without the potatoes and carrots. It's one of those I'd just rather braise than SV or IP.

• Like 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

I've thawed out some domestic turkey wings.  They were previously brined.  I want to SV  them and then throw them on the smoker tomorrow for a bit.  Anyone done this?  Time and temp?

I've seen 136F for 12 hours, 160F for 6 hours and 160F for 9.5 hours.

I'm leaning towards the 136 for 12.  Any thoughts?

Beef brisket, dry-cured with mustard seeds, coriander and jerk seasoning for 5 days. Rinsed, watered for 30 min, dried for 2 h in the fridge. Then brushed with liquid smoke and covered with freshly toasted and ground black pepper & coriander. SV at 167.5 oF for 24h. Cooled, sliced and portioned. And for me a Pastrami sandwich, as featured in the Dinner thread.

image.jpeg

WP_20180703_20_46_20_Pro.jpg

Edited by Duvel (log)
  • Like 9

2 minutes ago, rotuts said:

@Duvel

no brine/salt ?

or was that in the neck seasoning

Sorry, I thought that would be implied by "dry curing" (German: "pökeln" = curing with nitrate/nitrite-containing salt). I used "NPS", German pink salt with a nitrite concentration of ~ 1.5% ...

I cook my corn by the @nathanm method:

https://forums.egullet.org/topic/144300-sous-vide-recipes-techniques-equipment-2011/?do=findComment&comment=1810427

Problem is I keep making the same mistake over and over...

When I come home with corn I husk and bag it.  The ear I cook that night works wonderfully.  But after any time in the refrigerator the other corn bags balloon up like puffer fish.  Almost impossible to keep them in the bath.  Yes, I know, corn should only be picked right before dinner.  Nice if you can do it.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

17 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

When I come home with corn I husk and bag it.  The ear I cook that night works wonderfully.  But after any time in the refrigerator the other corn bags balloon up like puffer fish.  Almost impossible to keep them in the bath.  Yes, I know, corn should only be picked right before dinner.  Nice if you can do it.

For me, the stars align that way about once every three or four years. It works, though, because that's as often as I get a hankering for corn. I'll eat half an ear, enjoy it greatly, and not feel the need again for some time.

I don't shun it like Liuzhou, mind you, and I'm still working my way through the quantity of home-grown my parents grew and froze before my Dad passed away last year, but fresh on the cob isn't especially a weakness of mine.

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

Sous vide'd some chicken breasts for use in lunches during the work week. Figured out Monday & Tuesday -- cold soba noodles, baby bok choy, peanut & sesame sauce, and shredded chicken.  Will pack some sweet cherries too, so tasty this time of year! Cooked the chicken breasts with a sprinkle of Dizzy Pig Tsunami Spin, Dizzy Pig Pineapple Head at 65 C for 90 minutes.

• Like 2

On July 9, 2018 at 9:31 AM, curls said:

Sous vide'd some chicken breasts for use in lunches during the work week. Figured out Monday & Tuesday -- cold soba noodles, baby bok choy, peanut & sesame sauce, and shredded chicken.  Will pack some sweet cherries too, so tasty this time of year! Cooked the chicken breasts with a sprinkle of Dizzy Pig Tsunami Spin, Dizzy Pig Pineapple Head at 65 C for 90 minutes.

Ah Dizzy Pig rubs.  Spent time under the tent with Chis and the DP team in Lakeland several years ago for a BBQ contest.  Green Eggs were smoking.    We have a mutual friend in Va.     I like their rubs quite a bit.  Not overly salty.  Actually have both of those rubs in the pantry 

Edited by scubadoo97 (log)
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, scubadoo97 said:

Ah Dizzy Pig rubs.  Spent time under the tent with Chis and the DP team in Lakeland several years ago for a BBQ contest.  Green Eggs were smoking.    We have a mutual friend in Va.     I like their rubs quite a bit.  Not overly salty.  Actually have both of those rubs in the pantry 

I'll bet cooking with Chris and the DP team at a BBQ contest would be fun. I took a class with Chris at the Dizzy Pig store, nice guy!

Ok, I am thinking of getting started finally using the Anova that I got for Xmas.  I took a 2 1/2 lb. pork loin roast out of the freezer this morning.  I am thinking of using this recipe.  I have a Foodsaver, so I can vacuum it.  But I don't have a smart phone, so using the App is not something I can do.  And, unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be an old fashioned instruction manual.  I am NOT smart, ok?  I went to the website and have poked around a bit here and I'm finding lots of the charts perplexing.  From what I can tell from the recipe, I rub it with the salt and seasonings and let sit in the fridge for 5+ hours.  Vacuum pack the pork.   I bring the temperature of the water to 137F, put the vacuum packed pork in the water and let it set for 2 1/2 hours.  I'm assuming that I need to temp it.  Do I just stick the thermometer in the pork through the bag and immerse it again if it isn't up to temp?  Then I sear it.

PLEASE tell me if you think I need another set of directions or if you have any ideas for me.  I'm sure I'll be asking a LOT!  Thanks!

You should have no reason whatsoever to try and take its temperature!  In 2 1/2 hours it will reach the temperature you have set for it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

personally , Id go a little bit lower

say 135 and a bit longer  say 4 - 6

but keep track for yourself

not as tender as you might like ?  a little longer in the bath

little over done < use a lower temp.

pork does not have to be incinerated these day

so its dry as shoe leather 

its going to be  dafe to eat out of the bath

and sooo much moister and tender v SV

• Thanks 1

Sous vide is a very forgiving method of cooking. I have done a similar size pork loin for 2 1/2 hours and 4 1/2 hours and both were tender and juicy.   This last time which I documented in the Manitoulin topic, I use a temperature of 58.3° and it remained in the bath for 4 1/2 hours. I’ve gone lower temperature wise but I don’t think I’ve gone higher. 

• Thanks 2

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

2 hours ago, robirdstx said:

Do not put it back in the water bath if you have poked a hole through the bag! It would contaminate the water and the circulator.

People do make thingies so you can safely do that but I would not.  As Anna said, no need to.

• Thanks 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou