• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What Are You Cooking Sous Vide Today? (Part 3)

FrogPrincesse

22 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

I am hoping someone or anyone who has knowledge/experience with this can give me an answer.  I received my Anova yesterday and have plugged it in and set it up.  I have the water set to 75 celcius.  However the read-only keeps bouncing between  71C to almost 78C, which makes it kind of useless for sous vide.  Meanwhile, my Thermopan registers a different temperature altgether.

Edited to add:  it does not seem to have a very robust circulating feature either.  I am used to the Polyscience and can clearly see the water circulating but the water in this pan barely moves.  

Return it!

• Like 1

Yes. That clearly has a problem. 

Neither my original nor newer Bluetooth models has those issues. 

They're stable and dead on with the thermopen reading (well, within .1 degree) and noticeably circulate water. 

• Like 1

I agree with the others . I've never seen that amount of fluctuation with my Anova, and I can see the water circulating. Your new unit sounds defective.

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

I agree with @Anna N and @rotuts. I think you got a defective unit. Mine has never fluctuated more than a half a degree after reaching temp, and it seems to circulate well. They'll send you a new one in a heartbeat.

• Like 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

Late to the party but I agree, your unit seems defective.  Or possibly you are using it wrong in some way.  Not ever had any problem with my anova.

• Like 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

@blue_dolphin

more or less dying here

Im going to have to Up my Fluid Management and MR schedule

do they look Perfect or war !

Id be interested in a few more particulars ;

where did you get them ?

easy to get or hard to find ?

i have so many projects on my List

this might be somewhere near the top.

25 minutes ago, rotuts said:

Id be interested in a few more particulars ;

where did you get them ?

easy to get or hard to find ?

Prompted by the recent discussion of cold sesame noodles in another thread here, I stopped by 99 Ranch, the large Asian supermarket chain to replenish my noodle supply and decided to get some duck legs as a treat.   

They have an excellent meat dept and almost always have both whole ducks and duck legs available.  Do you have a good Asian market anywhere near you?

Oooooo

99 Ranch

I used to go to one S of  SF , on the Penisula

nice

I have OK asian , and more involved Asian in Chinatown , BOS

difficult to get to

but Ill keep that in mind.

Edited by rotuts (log)

16 hours ago, scubadoo97 said:

No 99 Range or anything close here. 

Same for me. Any thoughts on frozen duck legs vs. fresh? I suspect frozen is the only thing I might be able to find around here.

MelissaH

Oswego, NY

Chemist, writer, hired gun

Say this five times fast: "A big blue bucket of blue blueberries."

foodblog1 | kitchen reno | foodblog2

The only frozen ducks I see are Maple Leaf brand at the grocery store.  Legs are no way as plump as the ones pictured above but I've done a couple legs thigh quarters SV for confit.  Just not enough meat to justify doing it often 

Edited by scubadoo97 (log)
  • Like 1

You can't beat their customer service. I thought I'd lost my bracket for mine. They don't sell it separately. But they told me if I'd send my circulator back, they'd send me a new one. I found the bracket, fortunately.

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

My little quackers came out of the bath

IMG_7808.thumb.jpg.c715eab08c10743e4ec713017097c64f.jpg

There was one much scrawnier than the others so I chose it as my first victim for a duck confit sandwich. I tried to brown the leg off in a skillet but the skin was very fragile so I ended up removing the skin, crisping it up and crumbling it over the warm meat as you see below.  

IMG_7809.thumb.jpg.48c0346dde15a2c5c84e58e888d8ff12.jpg

There's a thin layer of preserved lemon aioli on the bottom, some arugula and a healthy amount of Tallegio broiled to the melting point on top.

IMG_7810.thumb.jpg.f940480cf01db299d8e40e44024b7e27.jpg

Washed down with a nice pinot noir.  No complaints here and I have 4 more legs to play with!

• Like 15

• 2 weeks later...

Looking for suggestions :)

I have this 5.56 lb Choice beef brisket point that I want to make--maybe just half of it and freeze the other half for later because it's a lot of meat.  

Should I sous vide it and then smoke it?  Time and temp for both?  Should I smoke it first and then sous vide?

Or skip the sous vide and just smoke it?

IMG_4675.jpg.adf5d14b47d32a24f2d707155754a14a.jpg

Forgot to add...I'm going for just a lovely, tender, smoked brisket--like at a great BBQ place.

Should I rub it with just some salt and pepper and let it marinate in that while I decide what to do?

Edited by Shelby (log)

cut it into 4 pieces 

use any ' rub ' you might have  or make one up , and maybe different on each piece

Franklin of Franklin BBQ uses only fresh ground pepper and salt for brisket 

Id do one that way and the others w granulated garlic etc etc

Id do 135 F  for 48  and do all of them and rapid chill and freeze what you can for later

just reheat at 135 until hot.

you won't get any ' smoke ' just doing the above

Id smoke after cooking , but many seem to do before and after smoking.

I can't say what the result would be is you took a little liquid smoke , and carefully diluted it a bit

and then painted the brisket cut , let is soak in and then add the pepper / salt rub

Im betting that would work.

but I have not done that myself.

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, rotuts said:

cut it into 4 pieces 

use any ' rub ' you might have  or make one up , and maybe different on each piece

Franklin of Franklin BBQ uses only fresh ground pepper and salt for brisket 

Id do one that way and the others w granulated garlic etc etc

Id do 135 F  for 48  and do all of them and rapid chill and freeze what you can for later

just reheat at 135 until hot.

you won't get any ' smoke ' just doing the above

Id smoke after cooking , but many seem to do before and after smoking.

I can't say what the result would be is you took a little liquid smoke , and carefully diluted it a bit

and then painted the brisket cut , let is soak in and then add the pepper / salt rub

Im betting that would work.

but I have not done that myself.

I cut it in half and bagged each half up.  They are generously rubbed with black pepper and salt and I put a few dashes of liquid smoke in.  Going to SV first and then smoke.  I've seen your temp and then Serious Eats says 155F for fall apart brisket.  I'm torn about which temp.  

I prefer lower temps for longer in the belief that more ' jus ' stays in the meat at those lower temps.

Baldwin suggests for medium-rare brisket  130 for 2 - 3 days.

Ive never had rare , but tender brisket .

but I think its possible w SV and not possible otherwise.

might be good , or not.   hard to say.

I do think brisket has always been overcooked as methods to get it tender related to temps 

not to time alone.

next time you see a similar deal on brisket , try 130 x 3 days ,  135 , 140 , 145 and report your results !

as the temp increases you probably then cut down the time accordingly.

• Like 1