• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What Are You Cooking Sous Vide Today? (Part 3)

FrogPrincesse

C594B548-8938-4FC8-A222-3DC5A887C673.thumb.jpeg.cec946068c54048c9fb4c0775dfe8fed.jpeg

Didn’t quite know what to do with the duck carnitas but I also had a box of Spanish rice flavour Rice-A-Roni and so I put two and two together and came up with this. This is a rice bowl with the carnitas, sliced scallions, duck skin and tomato petals.  Problem of course is that never having had carnitas before I have nothing to compare it with. This made a tasty dinner.  That is as much as I can say.   Obviously I did not think this experiment through very well.xD

• Like 12

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

4 hours ago, Anna N said:

Problem of course is that never having had carnitas before I have nothing to compare it with. This made a tasty dinner.  That is as much as I can say.   Obviously I did not think this experiment through very well.xD

Well...I've never had carnitas either, but mine (also not well thought-out) happened tonight too. Since sous vide was not involved, I posted about it here. Based on what I've read, your duck carnitas were much closer to the 'real deal' than my pork! xD

• Haha 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

@blue_dolphin

looking forward to your results

a market near me has ( sometimes ) boneless country ribs on sale at $ 0.99

Ill try that Rx then

Id reduce the Jus w or w/o beer   but brown the meat whole.

then use as desired.

surprised some have not had carnitas.

I have 4 strip steaks , choice , but w some marbling 

they have been 48 h on a rack loosely covered in the refrig  w some RB40 on each side.

I plan to SV them later today at 130.

what times have you used at that temp ?

I was thinking 6 h , but i came across none that were at 130 for that long.

SVEverrything did a time trial for a choice  rib eye roast that they cut into 1.5 inches 

and that meat looked similar to mine, but mine might have had a little better marbling.

they like 2 hours and one like 4.

I can't remember doing a stirp steak

so Ill punt w 3 hours as I like tender  

this will probably be frozen and used over time for ' RBSandwiches "

thank your for your help

here they are a few hours before VacBag'n

5af4686f11608_WStrippRB40.thumb.jpg.11083c0fd1812ed93f1979fa27f06692.jpg

they have that 28 d dray aged surface feel.

Im going to cut the three larges steaks in half , as they will be better portioned for sandwiches sliced thin.

the steak on the L, I plan to pass on to a friend after its SV'd and frozen  , whole

I just got today another 4 from Wagman's almost identical to these :  1.5 "  similar marbleig

their sale ends Sat.

I have high hopes for these 

the surface is noticeably dry

they started off like this :

5aec6e19f3d00_WegsSirloin.thumb.jpg.6ff8a97959754ce22e2a015005446cbf.jpg.32c2665f43f1e72313a7cb7b127fce9d.jpg

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I cut each of these steaks in half.

that's more or less 1/2 lbs of meat

easier to deal w for summer sandwiches , etc.

what I was struck with is this :

the surface of each steak was dry to the touch.

but not so dry that it's not going to be edible.

these were on a rack over a 1/4 sheet pan w some tented parchment paper over then

and in the coldest part of my refrig.

the aroma of the steaks had no hint of fish.

had I aromitized these w/o knowing the RB40 treatment 

it would not have come to my mind.

the aroma was of a walk-in  cold cooler where sides of beef are hung and dry aged for

quite some time.    Ive been in a a few of those.

if you are not a meat eater , you might find it not to your taste.

if you do appreciate meat , aged etc  its what you are hoping to find

Im pleased so far.

4 h @ 130  then a rapid chill what was talking to me.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

As my mother used to say to me

when I was Quite Young :

""  are your eyes bigger than your stomach ? "

in this case

w SV  

Id love to get some more.

I do have another 4 similar to those posted

what was quite new to me :

after the RB40

these might be the best Beef Ive ever done.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, rotuts said:

As my mother used to say to me

when I was Quite Young :

""  are your eyes bigger than your stomach ? "

in this case

w SV  

Id love to get some more.

I do have another 4 similar to those posted

what was quite new to me :

after the RB40

these might be the best Beef Ive ever done.

Or as my mother used to say to me, "think of all those starving children in.....(fill in country of choice)".  I always wanted to suggest she ship that sandwich (it was always a sandwich I didn't want to eat/finish)) right over to wherever but I knew it would not end well for me if I said that.  So I'd sit and stare at it, and stare some more.  I always lost.  To this day I can't stand sandwiches on squishy white or day old bread.

• Haha 1

well

in my family

and it was a billion years ago

that about the children was heard

when I sat at the table to finish my dinner

which included Beans that were to hard to eat

that was in the early '50's

and the children issues only came up twice

those hard as rock beans were no better after an our or so

but I did eat them

and for no reason i can recall

they were never made again

OK 

twice.

suprise.gif.dbad572c4784258a5862045e272b4682.gif

better but bad.

• Like 1

@rotuts  it was in the early - mid '50s for me.  Later in life I came to have an understanding of what they had been through and therefore the no waste attitude.  The depression, living in occupied Holland during WW2 with its widespread hunger and general horribleness,  and then as immigrants to Canada living on very little money, with no family, a new language and the attendant loneliness.  As a seven year old I knew nothing of this.  But, I still don't like sandwiches on squishy white or day old or older bread.  Thanks to their sacrifices, I now have options, for which I'm grateful.

• Like 3

Sous vide pork carnitas from Serious Eats, as continued from here, using country-style pork ribs.

Some of the meat after ~ 40 hrs @ 145°F:

IMG_7763.thumb.jpg.8e22ce8a3c02e8b2b6e9c8238d68d028.jpg

After the sous vide bath, I separated the meat into small chunks, added some beer and a little piloncillo to the bag jus and reduced it down, then tossed the meat in that reduction plus just a little lard (almost no fat had rendered into the jus) before broiling to get crispy edges on the chunks.

IMG_7764.thumb.jpg.dc17f14c4c2edaf54d32d450a459f2ea.jpg

Not bad.  I probably should have used more salt but otherwise the flavor and texture are excellent.  I only crisped up a portion of the meat.  With the others, I'll try searing some larger chunks in a cast iron skillet instead of broiling.

Served for dinner over here

• Like 10
  • Delicious 1

11 hours ago, blue_dolphin said:

Sous vide pork carnitas from Serious Eats, as continued from here, using country-style pork ribs.

Some of the meat after ~ 40 hrs @ 145°F:

Thanks for the report. I note that your original plan had been 145F for 36 hours. Did you unintentionally extend the cook, as I so often do? O.o If it was intentional, what was your basis for the extension?

I'm asking because I bought some country-style ribs at our local meat market a couple of days ago and want to try carnitas with them. Sous vide looks like a better option than simmer-and-fry because of the low fat content of this particular meat.

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

22 minutes ago, Smithy said:

Thanks for the report. I note that your original plan had been 145F for 36 hours. Did you unintentionally extend the cook, as I so often do? O.o If it was intentional, what was your basis for the extension?

It was a choice, based on my poor decision to start the cook at 2PM, meaning 36 hrs was going to be at 2AM. I decided to go a few hrs longer rather than shorter because I'm generally more industrious in the AM than late at night but I think either would have been fine. Kenji's range for this temp was 24-36 hrs.

• Like 2

as mentioned above

I dod some Wegman's Strip Steaks 

w RB40  , on a rack to two days

then SV at 130 , in this case 4 hours

I do appreciated the times other people suggested !

the the usual rabid chill and freeze

I pulled one out of the freezer for a sandwich just now :

5af5e9df170fc_WSs1.thumb.jpg.907dad531fc075b04c0d36d2a6165546.jpg

Ive mentioned before , as tasty as the Jus in the bag is, for meat Id like most in the bag.

up to you.

I did put RB40 on these ,  but possibly less than the W boneless SR's experiment

I didn't measure in each case.

here enough drops to fully coat each side , w no pooling.

out of the bag

5af5ea72d67c4_WSS2.thumb.jpg.4afbb19d8a308ecb7c613271cdb0a285.jpg

of note , this is 1/2 of the steaks from above

going into the bag after a 2 day rest in the refit on a rack

no fishy smell at all , nor none  now.

the just was nice , and not salty nor fishy

5af5ead2c0894_WSs3.thumb.jpg.67c90218b7ca111e793440172d1f4d37.jpg

I cut the meat in 1/2 so I might turn it on its side to cut across the grain

5af5eafd92371_WSs4.thumb.jpg.bfb149dba2a0c8b859a55f4b216315e8.jpg

I chose to cut off most of the peripheral fat , as I choose to get the Cow to do the work for me :  Butter , perhaps some nice cheese ?

was tender and delicious w very full beef flavor

I can't tell you how this compares  w the Weg's boneless short ribs as Id have to taste them at the same time

both were outstanding and Ill keep an eye on each but at Wegman's

remember , Ive only tried these at room temp for sandwiches.

in the fall and winter for a ' Steak- plate '\

Yum Im sure.

for me the 4 hours did not effect this cut in any way

I do have 4 more of similar W's Strips in the refig

Ill do the same

maybe try 3 H.

Im guessing for BeefSandwich   it might not matter

for a sizzinling Steak dinner , in the fall or winter , torched or not  maybe.

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 3

N.B.:

Ive thought about the Jus in the bag

I thought that a bit less , but just enough of RB40 might be involved 

perhaps yes or not

the W's boneless Short ribs were in the SV'der for much longer

that might contribute to the Jus

@rotuts,

That is beautiful looking steak for a sandwich or anything else.  

• Like 2

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

A little more carnitas fun.  I must say that having this pre-cooked meat at hand certainly facilitates a porky sandwich xD.

I sliced up one of the post-sous vide ribs hunks from above, broiled it a bit for crispness and tucked it into a toasted roll.

Sliced pork:

IMG_7777.thumb.jpg.a5c436ca7ed7da6e1eecca1d668625e4.jpg

Tossed with reduced bag jus and a little lard and broiled to crisp.  

IMG_7778.thumb.jpg.91cf59d06cea1c8af7427ad55a368bf1.jpg

Too bad you can't hear the sizzle in that photo above!

Porky sandwich:

IMG_7783.thumb.jpg.6be54f3a4470c0e1b0a26b58e1c44fc1.jpg

• Like 10
  • Delicious 1

29 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

A little more carnitas fun.  I must say that having this pre-cooked meat at hand certainly facilitates a porky sandwich xD.

I sliced up one of the post-sous vide ribs hunks from above, broiled it a bit for crispness and tucked it into a toasted roll.

Sliced pork:

IMG_7777.thumb.jpg.a5c436ca7ed7da6e1eecca1d668625e4.jpg

Tossed with reduced bag jus and a little lard and broiled to crisp.  

IMG_7778.thumb.jpg.91cf59d06cea1c8af7427ad55a368bf1.jpg

Too bad you can't hear the sizzle in that photo above!

Porky sandwich:

IMG_7783.thumb.jpg.6be54f3a4470c0e1b0a26b58e1c44fc1.jpg

Oh Yum!

• Like 2

I am hoping someone or anyone who has knowledge/experience with this can give me an answer.  I received my Anova yesterday and have plugged it in and set it up.  I have the water set to 75 celcius.  However the read-only keeps bouncing between  71C to almost 78C, which makes it kind of useless for sous vide.  Meanwhile, my Thermopan registers a different temperature altgether.

Edited to add:  it does not seem to have a very robust circulating feature either.  I am used to the Polyscience and can clearly see the water circulating but the water in this pan barely moves.  

Edited by ElsieD (log)

8 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

I am hoping someone or anyone who has knowledge/experience with this can give me an answer.  I received my Anova yesterday and have plugged it in and set it up.  I have the water set to 75 celcius.  However the read-only keeps bouncing between  71C to almost 78C, which makes it kind of useless for sous vide.  Meanwhile, my Thermopan registers a different temperature altgether.

Edited to add:  it does not seem to have a very robust circulating feature either.  I am used to the Polyscience and can clearly see the water circulating but the water in this pan barely moves.  

I would contact Anova. This doesn’t seem right to me and I am/was a great fan of the ANOVA.  I switched allegiances to the Joule  but not because of any issues with the functionality of the ANOVA. 

My 2004 eG Blog

Ive never had problems w my two.

I recall some V1 models did

I use Coleman or Igloo coolers , as I think the insulation helps keep the water temp stable

and I can stuff a lot more SV bags in there and not worry about circulation to the corners.

My Anovs's move water I can see , and w the insulation enough for even cooking even if fairly full

Id fill something up to the max line , let it run for a while and check again.

Ive also found it helpful to use a Sharpie to mark the min and max lines as they are easier to see when under water.

try all or some of the above and see.

make sure the metal sleeve is on correctly

let us know how that turns out.

if you are not happy after trying it for a few trials

email them

they ( used ) to have very good customer service

good luck