• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What Are You Cooking Sous Vide Today? (Part 3)

FrogPrincesse

there is a new , huge Wagman's near me.  opened this Am :

https://forums.egullet.org/topic/156629-new-wegmans-near-boston/?tab=comments#comment-2152250

I got the boneless SR's for the first time and plan a SV experiment.

first , a trim :

SR-III.thumb.jpg.d2a772a55aac284204de78fb0dbf38c8.jpg

right out of the package

SR-IV.thumb.jpg.a396541cc29735a831b54b36e3737622.jpg

there was a thin layer of fat on two of them so I decided to pull it off  the result is above

then I decided to remove the silver skin as I would have on any other steak.   I prefer doing more work int he kitchen

and less on the plate.  even though 48 H @ 130.1  F might have dealt withe the SS well :

SR-V.thumb.jpg.c015d652b00cee769a4eec4167a5f081.jpg

they are on a smaller plate w a lithe bath of RB40 and in the refrigerator for 2 days very lightly covered.

More Later

my plan is after the 48 hr in the refrig , SV  130.1  for 48 H with a brief

PitStop at 36 H to check one out for tenderness.   if all is good and I think 12 H more would be fine

Ill debag that one and go the full 48 H for all three

up in the air on having one  @ 48 H for a SR dinner p torching or just rapid chill and freeze.

very keen on the project.

• Like 4

Have a 6 lb eye of round salting tonight. Tomorrow evening - I'll wipe off any remaining salt - vacuum seal and sous vide for 24 hours at 55º C. It will be sliced and will be sandwich meat for our workshop. I did a top sirloin roast the same way last week - it's already sliced and in the freezer. I think that both cuts are suitable as sandwich meat - the top sirloin has a bit more fat marbled in which I think might make it just a tiny bit more ideal. 

• Like 3

Reheated the SV oxtail on the stove with sliced mushrooms and bag juices until the juice thickened.   Served with mashed sweet potatoes scented with ginger syrup and spinach/arugula salad

9C3FC0CE-0FB2-4E16-867F-124EAF5E0293.jpeg

Edited by scubadoo97 (log)
  • Like 2

I don't know why meals from one end of one animal's spinal column makes me long for the other end of a different animal's spinal column. I'm jonesing for neckbones and dressing.

Need to visit a market on the other end of town. No neckbones at Kroger, sadly.

• Like 2

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

has anyone done Carnitas  SV as a first step ?

its not easy to get pork shoulder at a decent price in my area 

even though its often called Boston Butt.

there are a few at Wegmans and Id like to experiment :

cut the shoulder  in 1 to 1.5 inch slices , then SV those at 130.1 for 48 H

then finish on a hot grill for caramelizing the exterior.

maybe some orange peel in the SV bag 

I thought this was mentioned somewhere in the SV threads but can't find it.

any help appreciated.

P.S.:  I found this

https://www.seriouseats.com/2017/01/how-to-make-sous-vide-carnitas.html

which seems a decent starting point

has anyone done this ?

Edited by rotuts (log)

No, but I've made pressure cooker carnitas. Cook the pork in the sauce about 90 minutes, NR, shred, spread on a baking sheet and crisp up in the oven. Reduce the juices for serving sauce.

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

@scubadoo97

very good to know

My goal is to get tender , but at a lower temp  so the muscles do not contract as much

and more Jus stays in the meat.

after that  : High temp grill or broil for the color and flavor

Quote :

"The Jus you see in that SV bag , used to be in the Meat "

Me , just now.

I"ve done it at 145 to cook through, and then quick deep or pan fry to crisp up.

I think a broiler or grill is more likely to overcook it by the time it gets properly carnitas crispy 

check this starting at 9:30:

• Like 3

I have never had nor ever understood carnitas.  At least I don’t think I have. But the idea of making duck carnitas I find very appealing.   And certainly cooking the duck legs sous vide initially seems very sensible.    Might have to give this a try since I have some duck legs in my freezer. 

Edited by Anna N
To fix the grammar — sort of. (log)

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

I've done it with duck breast as well, but you need to be more careful about overcooking it.

we're touring this summer again and I've already made my Topolobampo reservation.

Probably my favorite restaurant in the US.

2 hours ago, Anna N said:

I have never had nor ever understood carnitas.  At least I don’t think I have. But the idea of making duck carnitas I find very appealing.   And certainly cooking the duck legs sous vide initially seems very sensible.    Might have to give this a try since I have some duck legs in my freezer. 

If you'll check out and try this topic on carnitas, I will.

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

6 hours ago, Smithy said:

If you'll check out and try this topic on carnitas, I will.

Not quite sure if you’re throwing down the gauntlet or not but I’ve just taken a couple of duck legs out of the freezer to defrost.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

On 5/5/2018 at 4:49 AM, Anna N said:

Not quite sure if you’re throwing down the gauntlet or not but I’ve just taken a couple of duck legs out of the freezer to defrost.  

I bought a small pork shoulder roast for the purpose. :)

• Like 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

3 hours ago, Smithy said:

I bought a small pork shoulder roast for the purpose. :)

7F7D3A37-AE9B-4ABC-AEFE-F2D0A7667937.thumb.jpeg.ac602793167e1909ca4a7b1e3a75071e.jpeg

Step one: salt, Mexican oregano and lime juice.  Into the fridge now for 24 hours.   I will turn them over once or twice. 

• Like 2

My 2004 eG Blog

over here :

https://forums.egullet.org/topic/156629-new-wegmans-near-boston/?tab=comments#comment-2152225

I bought some boneless short ribs , and SV'd them

here are my results :

5aef30050a59d_SRI.thumb.jpg.486c1645d742a1ee260efa1cf12df587.jpg

here is one bag of the SR's

note the Jus.  Ill get to that.

here is the meat ' carved ' for a sandwich w the Jus in the small bowl :

5aef303eb3e63_SRII.thumb.jpg.1418e1311c8312dfccae5efaee5c234a.jpg

its hard to compare the beef I eat , as Ive not had the cuts , SV'd at the same time.

this meat was delicious.

I do like the RB40 effect , but I think I put a tad too much on this meat.

I  aim for tender rare beef w Full Flavor , knowing that the Cut determines the flavor

and the bath determines tenderness.

Id also like to get the two effect w as little Jus in the bag.

after all , it comes from the meat.   Id like it to stay in the meat.

I put some RB40 , then some more etc on this cut.

the Jus did not taste salty , nor like fermented fish

money-mouth.gif.4a04171306d3a239105840c137e486fe.gif

but I knew RB40 was involved.

the meat was tender exactly as I like it.

it also had a full flavor mostly of beef , but RB40 w not off fishy flavors.

what I learned is to put a bit less RB40 on the meat in the future

as as maybe that added to the Jus in the bag.

I do have some Strip Steaks Ill do the RB40 to

but just enough to very lightly coat each surface.

I have two SR's in the freezer , and when the StripSteak experiment concludes

Ill pull one out and caomnpair

it seem to me 

that the new Wegmans has very once beef

and Ill look them over for the future experiments.

• Like 4

On 2018-05-06 at 12:42 PM, Anna N said:

Step one: salt, Mexican oregano and lime juice.  Into the fridge now for 24 hours.   I will turn them over once or twice. 

Step two: 

721C452A-4CB1-4C85-9580-B3E72307EC7D.thumb.jpeg.cc841dbe80cd0c6ff238204044f33d83.jpeg

Swimming? paddling? in 74°C water for eight hours.

• Like 2

My 2004 eG Blog

22 hours ago, Anna N said:

Step two: 

721C452A-4CB1-4C85-9580-B3E72307EC7D.thumb.jpeg.cc841dbe80cd0c6ff238204044f33d83.jpeg

Swimming? paddling? in 74°C water for eight hours.

So this almost came to a disastrous end. I put them in icewater to chill them down at 10:30 last night and almost forgot them. Fortunately something alerted me to the need to get up and refrigerate them while they were still icy cold! 

This morning I reheated them enough to melt the fat and allow me to work with him and divided them up into liquid, skin and flesh (and because no one was watching I gnawed the bones). I will work further with them either later today or tomorrow. 

0FCB1B64-FCDB-4B8F-9002-619FA2506A72.thumb.jpeg.510d2f78d309c08fbc6a9f607e81cbe9.jpeg

• Like 2

My 2004 eG Blog

OK.  The carnitas got me.  I've been cooking from Nopalito and considering trying the recipe in the book - it's a fry in lard version and calls for 4 lbs of lard.  I know it can be reused but I don't see myself using that much anytime soon. 

I studied the carnitas topic that @Smithy referenced and checked out the Serious Eats method that @rotuts mentioned.  I decided to try the SV method since it uses the same seasonings as the Nopalito so hopefully I will get something similar. 

3 lbs of country-style pork ribs from Sprouts:

IMG_7755.thumb.jpg.be4c6a82af7f09943490e1d28d183d1a.jpg

They're conveniently about 2 inches thick, as Kenji recommends.  Inconveniently, they're not boneless and the bottom piece had particularly sharp piece of bone at one end so cut it out.

IMG_7756.thumb.jpg.ac0a119c83b5a96f7ae558c07477291b.jpg

The middle piece also has a bone but it's not sharp and I was able to turn it sideways to avoid any bag-bone contact.

Bagged up with seasonings:

IMG_7757.thumb.jpg.904859b51c8860886a28532ea738adae.jpg

The bag is now swimming at 145°F for 36 hrs.

Nopalito adds some beer late in the cook.  I would have had to freeze it into a beer cube in order to seal it up in this bag so I left it out for now.  I plan to cube this up for browning so I'll decide whether or not to add a little beer at that time.   Perhaps I will cook down the bag jus with a little beer and a bit of piloncillo and moisten the meat cubes with that before I brown them. 

Edited by blue_dolphin (log)
  • Like 2
  • Delicious 1