• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What Are You Cooking Sous Vide Today? (Part 3)

FrogPrincesse

On 3/23/2018 at 6:13 PM, rotuts said:

On the Bone or dissected oout ?

if just the Br, were you able to remove those two tendons ?

get the meat off the bone , however you can.

142.5 , 6 hours.

believe it

I do it all the time.

PERFECT!

Ronnie decided to cold smoke it--170F for 4 hours.  Then I SV'd it as per your instructions.  I didn't de-bone.  

Turkey sandwiches here we come!

IMG_4322.jpg.dff692c4622cd1cd3022ef5a8d2a4e81.jpg

IMG_4326.jpg.50643c4a9549f5debf235d79c202e8a2.jpg

• Like 6
  • Delicious 1

@Shelby

cold smoke it--170F "

that's pretty chilly !

I did not realize there was a wing etc.

so :  did you do it 

after   " The Big Chill "

for 6 h ?

142.5  ?

Im just cleaning out F

I had 6  Fz TB's, no wings , waiting for the Call to duty.

each was about 8 lbs.

I took off just the breast meat , and de-tendon'd each and then

breast  ( two muscles ) in 1/2 or so 

and bagged w seasonings and then SV'd for 6h at 142.5.

rapidly chilled , then folded smoked on the Weber w pellets then rebated and Fz

Im no the second set now  ( two Fz TB's ) and have  two more  thawing to the same 

rendition tomorrow as it still chilly and still some snow to keep the Weber cold.

my do the last 2 Fz TB's , similarly

for Good Summer Eating !

• Like 1

Just now, rotuts said:

@Shelby

cold smoke it--170F "

that's pretty chilly !

I did not realize there was a wing etc.

so :  did you do it 

after   " The Big Chill "

for 6 h ?

142.5  ?

Im just cleaning out F

I had 6  Fz TB's, no wings , waiting for the Call to duty.

each was about 8 lbs.

I took off just the breast meat , and de-tendon'd each and then

breast  ( two muscles ) in 1/2 or so 

and bagged w seasonings and then SV'd for 6h at 142.5.

rapidly chilled , then folded smoked on the Weber w pellets then rebated and Fz

Im no the second set now  ( two Fz TB's ) and have  two more  thawing to the same 

rendition tomorrow as it still chilly and still some snow to keep the Weber cold.

my do the last 2 Fz TB's , similarly

for Good Summer Eating !

Yep.  I did it just like you said.  142.5 for 6 hours.  The cold smoke worked....it's nice and smokey.  Absolutely perfect.  Juicy.

Most of this technique is over in the St.P's thread :

https://forums.egullet.org/topic/156356-stpatrick-aka-cornedbeef-2018/?page=5&tab=comments#comment-2146839

this is very similar :  SV  boned and tendon'd out  TurkeyBr's

SV   140 x 6 , then cold smoked on an inert Weber w smoke pellets.

TB's were on sale @ 79 US Cents / Lb a while ago , Fz.    I got 8 , and they weigh in at about 7 - 8 lbs whole.

I do two whole BR's at a time  ( i.e.  two turkey TB carcasses )

each TB  ends up being 4 generous bags , and  those weighed in at 2.2 KG  trimmed and tied 

there is a fair amount of meat left on the carcass even though I have decent knife skills :  the back 

the carcass etc.   Ive tried using that in the iPot for stock , but the result tasted too much like TurkeyFat

which I don't care for, even though I carefully removed all of the skin and any globs of fat.

it might be the higher Temp @ full pressure does something to what little fat is left on the carcass.

as after the de-tendoninzing,  I like a similar shape,  and the ties help keep that until ChamberVacc'd  :

5aba625e7f926_TB1.thumb.jpg.84fdb9eab7e94aa9b0c694404667ec93.jpg

here are 4 bags in the 16 QT Coleman.  2 / bag.  fit perfectly w the Anova at 140 .  I used Sauer's Prime Rib seasoning

some times I use Penzies  Chicago Steak.  both are wonderful.

TB2.thumb.jpg.01c9bf8ed3a9473e1dee333d243abc62.jpg

here they are after a rapid cooling w snow in the Sink , and refrigerated over night :  4.2 KG of meat and some might tasty Jus

which Ill freeze.

On the Inert Weber w  Orange Wood pellets:

TB3.thumb.jpg.6be5330013261be866916224d0854b0f.jpg

One Hour covered.  this is the first time Ive use the O.W. , and it does not have a distinctive ' fruit wood ' aroma.  its a bit harsh.

No Neighbors will be stopping over to see ' what's going on in your BackYard ? "

5aba63c70548a_TB4.thumb.jpg.6332653b2261659944bfd581923a3cf3.jpg

ready for the freezer.   they tasted fine , but Im not going to get any more OrangeWood pellets.  these taste like " smoke "

I have 4 more FzTB-Br ,   two are thawing for tomorrow and Ill do the same but w different pellets

and the last two will not be smoked , more like " Turkey dinner " TB's

the work is fairly easy , and the results are spectacular either w or w/o smoke.

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 2

On 3/25/2018 at 1:44 PM, rotuts said:

@btbyrd

Ive found > 130 smoking might taste nice , but dries out the meat.   Im wondering where you re-hydration is coming from.

of course , it you had a Combi-Smoker and smoked at 100 % humidity       nice !

To a certain extent, I want the meat to dry out. At least, the meat on the surface. One of the best things about many long-smoked products is the textural difference between the crunchy exterior and the tender interior. But you're right, humidity can be an issue -- especially if your final therm is going to be like an hour or more. In those cases, I'll put the meat on a rack over a sheet pan of ice, which I believe MC recommended. My smoker is a grill, and it doesn't really go lower than 225F, so having the extra ice in there works as both a heat sink and as a source of humidity. But honestly, I don't worry about it for most things. I brine all my pork and poultry, so it stays moist enough, and I've never found the interior of beef to really dry out during the final smoking process. (And some of that is brined anyway). The ChefSteps "smokerless smoked brisket" recipe finishes the brisket in a low oven for 3-4 hours to form the bark; I do the same for as lightly shorter period in a slightly hotter oven/grill with actual smoke.

On 3/25/2018 at 10:23 PM, gfweb said:

I typically smoke preSV and am very happy with it, but I will give pre and post a try. 

I tend to smoke fairly delicate nonfatty meats...pork tenderloin...turkey breast...salmon. Could double smoke be overdoing it?

This is an excellent point. Smoke is a flavoring agent, and it's possible to use too much -- especially on delicate product. Double smoke could definitely be overkill for delicate items. 

• Like 1

@btbyrd

as Ive moved to cold smoking , I can't be sure what the items will taste like

moisture wise when I re-thaw  in the bag for sandwiches etc.  compared to the method I used to use for CB

which was a Weber at 130  + smoke.

Ive been thinking that both the CB , and the turkey breast have  pouch juices

why not add an oz of that back to the post cold smoke bag and chamber vac ?  just enough to coat the meat

in its final bag

might not make a difference when I get to eating it

but with a chamber vac its easy to do.

neither the CB note the TB  have bark issues to protect.

There's not a lot of talk about leg of lamb in these topics. We plan on cooking it sous vide, with a quick finish over charcoal (I like lamb with a little smoke and char).

Here's the thing, though. Everyone seems to agree on the temp (around 133°F/56°C for upper-medium rare), but times range from 6 hours (Kenji Lopez-Alt, who says "I don't recommend cooking leg of lamb sous vide for any longer than six hours.") to 24 (ChefSteps, using bone-in leg, but I can't see how that makes a difference with cooking time).

Anyone have any guidance? 

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.

I will either butterfly it, or just be lazy and buy a boned leg, then maybe untie it and roll it out for the grill finish. 

I still can't figure out what's behind the timing differences, though. Kenji says the 24-hour version was mushy, whether the lamb was fresh or had been frozen. On the other hand, ChefSteps is usually on the mark.

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.

2 hours ago, Dave the Cook said:

I will either butterfly it, or just be lazy and buy a boned leg, then maybe untie it and roll it out for the grill finish. 

I still can't figure out what's behind the timing differences, though. Kenji says the 24-hour version was mushy, whether the lamb was fresh or had been frozen. On the other hand, ChefSteps is usually on the mark.

Great British Chefs are usually on the ball too and they suggest 6 to 8 hours at 56°C. 

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Stir fry.

Actually a scotch fillet coated in ground mountain-pepper berry, SV at 58 degrees in real temperature units for 2 hours, sliced thin then added to the stir fry at the last minute. The steak ended up very soft but not mealy. I may try bumping up from the hour I usually use for other cuts.

It's almost never bad to feed someone.

At Marilu's market in Burlington today I noticed a sign on top of the meat case - "sous vide meats" - apparently they sous vide for you - you buy in the premade meal case and finish them at home.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Kerry Beal said:

At Marilu's market in Burlington today I noticed a sign on top of the meat case - "sous vide meats" - apparently they sous vide for you - you buy in the premade meal case and finish them at home.

And I'm bringing my cooler.

DB85A9A5-3E07-4748-BC2E-D28C1DF168E8.thumb.jpeg.d7d999d69a6f3fe0a0ef235733becc9e.jpeg

8639D7AC-3B16-471C-A06E-AF8E3C09C69E.thumb.jpeg.6e87379334be29b7605a475b08e30145.jpeg

Two chuck eye roasts that were a gift. I took the photos sometime ago before I froze them so it’s possible you’re seeing a picture of the same one rather than two of them.  Anyway they are swimming in the bath at 56°C and I will leave them there for 24 hours. 

• Like 3

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

this pic is this AM :

5abe6b9f7c0ff_TBWal.thumb.jpg.ce63957ea0b452d10bb685934c30a84f.jpg

not a lot of Sv going on here , but this in the end-stage for 2 more full TB's  boned out and 

SV 6 H 142.5

then cold smoked as above.

there will be no m,ore snow , and its 50 F outside

so I took a little of the leftover snow on the deck and put it on top of the Weber.

Of I sued other snow last evening to rabidly chill these 8 delicious packages after the SV

Ive leaned this :

shovel out the Weber , no matter what.  move it if less show removal is possible.

take your CornedBeef's and Turkeys and deal with them while there is snow on the ground 

as cold smoking is very very nice

the above , you can't quite see it is BalckWalnut pellets.

smells soo soo good.

I sued Penzeys Chicago Steak , a favorite  and saved and Fz the jus.

Ill have a sandwich and soup with one of these I did not freeze tonight.

I have 2 more Fz TB's

and fortunately no more snow

Ill SV them , and use some LowSalt Minors Turkey Base w a dusting of Bells seasoning on those

for " Turkey Dinner Tonight "

• Like 2

On 2018-03-30 at 12:53 PM, rotuts said:

@Anna N

they look outstanding !

hope more info and pics later ?

959D4307-2AB7-4F7C-8011-E372AC0BE814.thumb.jpeg.16c5afdd1fff953b3df4b12aae203f26.jpeg72F26F54-7189-4A3E-9A78-9D44C823C3FD.thumb.jpeg.f14241e8dff5f9246ec69b4fc66512d6.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Delicious 1

My 2004 eG Blog

Cooked chuck steak (eye roast cut, not sure if this translates to USA) for 50 people. 24 hours at 56C (132.8F). Removed cooking juice for sauce, cooled, resealed and stored. The day before reheating, I cut the cold steaks into serving pieces and rebagged. Steaks were reheated at 56C for an hour prior to a flash fry on each side on a pan on a commercial cooktop.

Steaks were cooked with salt and pepper as well as green peppercorns. Sauce was made from heated and strained cooking juices, chicken stock and 3 1/2 bottles of well made merlot. Reduced by half, simmered some cut carrot and celery in there for a little while then added thyme to infuse while it was cooling. Strained sauce and then thickened to sauce consistency with potato starch (one of the diners is gluten intolerant). Sauce was livened up with a bit of sherry vinegar.

Served with roasted smashed potatoes, cooked on onion in chicken stock with honey glazed carrots.

The majority believed it was fillet steak and wondered why it had so much flavour.

IMG_3289.thumb.JPG.98ead276e6b0a57825d121c542ee89a9.JPGIMG_3324.JPG.befefb840042b005e8d4239e81649057.JPG

Edited by nickrey
excess words; added sherry vinegar to sauce description (log)
  • Like 11
  • Delicious 2

Nick Reynolds, aka "nickrey"

"The Internet is full of false information." Plato
My eG Foodblog

5 hours ago, rotuts said:

@nickrey

nice

what this a wine tasting affair ?

I see a pen and 6 reds.

what were you tasting ?

It was the Wine and Food Society of New South Wales. We had a wine tasting of Australian Shiraz. The pepper steak was done as an food match to complement the pepper elements in the wine as well as having umami and body to match the power of the wines. 

• Like 1

Nick Reynolds, aka "nickrey"

"The Internet is full of false information." Plato
My eG Foodblog