• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What Are You Cooking Sous Vide Today? (Part 3)

FrogPrincesse

@Topham 

very nice !

congratulations .

if you fare willing to try it , look for some Red Boat 40

its an outstanding fish Sauce

Tj's has it , as does WF at twice the price.

It you haven't used FS before , make note of how foul it is when its ' fresh '

no matter as those " Notes " go away.

douse your next meat with it . let it absorb , bag and refrigerate for at least 3 day if not 6

the SV

Nice.

23 hours ago, weedy said:

That looks nice. 

If it's NOT about tenderness, then why would you go longer next time?

Well it's not like tender is an absolute; a couple more hours would not have made it too tender, and a different piece of meat could always start a little tougher.

@Topham 

SV is like this :

Tenderness is Time in the bag

done-ness  ( rare med etc ) is temp

very simple

you will not get flavor or flavor ++ w SV

that comes from What you Put in the Bag 

re; cuts of meat  Shoulder ? etc ?

however , you can add flavor w your chosen Cut

consider RedBoat40

at some point.

• Like 1

Today I got an e-mail from America's Test Kitchen asking if I had sous vide equipment.  They are working on a sous vide cookbook and are looking for recipe testers.  So that is two books they are working on, this one and one for electric pressure cooker.  Busy little beaters, they are.

where there is potential $$$ to be made , You'll find ATK sniffing around.

They have not recommended EPC's on their show's equipment reviews and have not cooked with it either on any segments.

same for SV.

" Greed is Good "

G.Gekko

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, rotuts said:

where there is potential $$$ to be made , You'll find ATK sniffing around.

They have not recommended EPC's on their show's equipment reviews and have not cooked with it either on any segments.

same for SV.

" Greed is Good "

G.Gekko

So, the more things change, the more they stay the same.

On the old ATK podcast (and on the new Milk Street podcast), Christopher Kimball never missed a chance to slam SV cooking. Whether he truly believes what he's saying or whether it's part of his curmudgeon persona, I do not know. But I do wonder if the apparently upcoming ATK SV book is something that would not have happened previously, while they were still under Kimball's watch.

MelissaH

Oswego, NY

Chemist, writer, hired gun

Say this five times fast: "A big blue bucket of blue blueberries."

foodblog1 | kitchen reno | foodblog2

59 minutes ago, MelissaH said:

But I do wonder if the apparently upcoming ATK SV book is something that would not have happened previously, while they were still under Kimball's watch.

That was my thought.

• Like 2

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

I am suspecting that Chris thought his money was in his base and his base was not into this fancy-schmancy cooking. 

• Like 2

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

Trying lamb shoulder chops again. I recall the last time I was not pleased with the result. This time they are in the bath at 56° straight from the freezer. Consensus on the lamb shoulder chops in the sous vide bath just does not exist  from what I have been able to discover.  Some treat them as top-of-the-line steak and give them a short time in the bath and some treat them as if they were stew meat and cook them for 24 to 48 hours. 

I have so often treated them as steaks when I was sauteeing them or grilling  with excellent results so I'm on the fence still. 

This time I'm going to give them somewhere between five and six hours and see what I think of the result. 

My 2004 eG Blog

ATK and MilkStreet ( MS ) are directed businesses for maximum profit 

although they  us PBS for their Forum

PBS now has no relation of any king to the PBS of , as this is a cooking forum

to Julia Childs 

Cooking shows either on PBS or cable

are massively profitable.

Id prefer that those who create the show

earn that profit.

Im exceptionally pleased that Chef Vivian

has done that.

none the less , they are sucked into my computer every week 

as I have over the air HDTV.

have I learned a lot

by watching ATK , Ming , Sara over the years 

you bet

Ive also leaned a lot from Great British Menu

and Jamie Oliver

and a host of others

by seeing them ' work '

a billion years ago there was a PBS series

when PBS was at its Prime

" Great Chefs of New York "

the chef ( back them Him )  made a three course meal in their own kitchen

wow

there were 4 - 5 other similar shows , from the same group

SF , N.O etc 

best stuff ever.

I made several times a ' compound ' roast :

Saddle of Lamb , nicely trimmed   trimmings went into a stock

veal : made into a Mouse 

spread on that saddle

Filet of Beef   ( from the Chateubrand areas , carefully trimmed of all sinew including an internal bit

this was then wrapped up and tied :

Saddle carefully prepared w no sinew 

veal mouse spread even over thet

Filet Chateubriand on top of that  , then tied

browned in a good pan

the placed in the over to get everything just right and the beef rare

all jus went into the pan sauce

beast thing I ever made

sliced thick  

2 " if not more ?

etc

the dessert was a chocolate loaf where the chocolate cake was carefully make

sliced into portions that lined a loaf pan.  the center was filled w an intense chocolate mouse

then set to firm up

the sauce was a fresh raspberry sauce 

and that that was  that.

PBS did not seem to own this series 

which is too bad

they mostly diapered.

I think they are these :

http://greatchefs.com/chef-shop/dvd-tv-series/

you can drool now

I guess you cans see some of true eps at the aboe

can't say my NY os not there.

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 1

IMG_0710.thumb.JPG.6dcd82ae950643118744536b5f5f89ab.JPG

Teriyaki Flank Steak - the Flank steak was marinated in a teriyaki sauce for 24 hours, removed from the marinade, patted dry, rebagged and cooked at 129F for about 2 hours, then seared on the grill.

Edited by robirdstx (log)
  • Like 8

We had the aged beef braising ribs I mentioned up thread for dinner last night.  They were cooked for 48 hours at 134F.  I have never, in my entire life, had a piece of beef as good as that.  It was exceptionally rich, I guess from all the marblng.  I had ordered beef cheeks from this same butcher and we went out to pick them up today.  I asked about the ribs and he said he always dry ages them for a minimum of 4 weeks but when I got mine last week, I got lucky as they were part of a batch aged for 6 weeks.

I asked if he had any ox tails and he did.  I said I might buy one depending on the price.  He got one out and it was just shy of $50.   I told him that was too rich for me so he gave me the package of 3.8 pounds for $25.  I'm a pretty happy camper right now, with my pig cheeks, beef cheeks and ox tails. 

As we were leaving, whole fresh lamb carcasses were being delivered.  He also, he told me, had fresh local rabbits which I passed on.  I love that place, but I sure am glad it's not next door.

Edited by ElsieD (log)
  • Like 6

I was given a duck breast a few days ago and it is in the sous vide now -  58°C for 45 minutes before being seared in a cast-iron pan. 

My 2004 eG Blog

• 1 month later...

Pork tenderloins are on sale this week for $1.99pp, so it seemed the perfect opportunity to try another sous vide. I did this one at 133.5 F for 3 hours. I chose rosemary and garlic, olive oil and salt and pepper as additions. My intention was to prepare a product to be served cold, as a sandwich meat. This one cost a whopping $3.22.

Here it is with the silver skin removed.

IMG_1000.thumb.JPG.32c81ad57fad318bfe74652a03a057e3.JPG

2 cloves of garlic and 2 rosemary sprigs per.

IMG_1002.thumb.JPG.de29fe822680ac72536fbd82b9635e39.JPGIMG_1006.thumb.JPG.487aaab7d7d1ba7c579640911b621831.JPG

I like to bring the bath up close to temp on the stove.

IMG_1004.thumb.JPG.d3f0b4ba2245e310e7b2e0bde0d22c81.JPG

Set the timer for 3 hours, once it's back up to speed with the added cargo.

IMG_1008.thumb.JPG.e7883c97de7846134ffc35d104477d64.JPG

Here is the finished product after being chilled in an ice bath. Nice notes of rosemary and garlic, relatively juicy and not overly pink. I believe this will make great sandwiches. It does want for a bit of salt, but that can be added to the sandwiches.

HC

IMG_1012.thumb.JPG.25fefdcca3d8741302ccba3262ff15a1.JPG

Edited by HungryChris
needs salt (log)
  • Like 8

@HungryChris, you posted at the precise moment I was perusing the Sous Vide Pork Tenderloin topic and trying to decide what to do.  Thank you the tutorial and the inspiration!

• Like 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

• 2 weeks later...
6 minutes ago, HungryChris said:

On sale again this week, so I picked out a few of the smaller ones for experimentation.

HC

IMG_1140.thumb.JPG.ca9e4a164cc10cadb6f263f7c9aee2c0.JPG

Sheesh. At that price I’d be experimenting too.:laugh:

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

My 2004 eG Blog

19 hours ago, HungryChris said:

On sale again this week, so I picked out a few of the smaller ones for experimentation.

HC

IMG_1140.thumb.JPG.ca9e4a164cc10cadb6f263f7c9aee2c0.JPG

I cannot believe that price!!!

I better not show Ronnie.  He'd be in the car in a hot minute on his way to Connecticut.

• Like 4

Pork tenderloin isn't a cut that I usually cook SV. Its so tender to begin with. I can pan sear it and oven roast and have it MR and perfect in about 20 minutes tops. 

The perfect last minute meal

Having said that, @HungryChris meat looks perfect.

• Like 1

It's a good thing I haven't found them at that price. The beef guy delivered my quarter-steer this week, along with my turkey and two whole chickens, so my freezers are PACKED. To the point I could not find the frozen pound bag of coffee beans I KNOW I have (luckily, I have Keurig pods for emergencies, which this constituted). And I'd be required to buy at least four of those tenderloins at that price, for the freezer.

• Like 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com