• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What Are You Cooking Sous Vide Today? (Part 3)

FrogPrincesse

1 hour ago, kayb said:

Thanks. They're sprinkled down with sea salt and on a rack in the fridge. Will get them out tomorrow.

Next qiestion. This is them. (Packages say ribeye, but damned if they don't look like strips to me.) Minimal marbling. I want rare in the SV, will sear to med. rare on grill (and, sigh, well done for two of them). Time/temp recommendations?

20170825_214337.thumb.jpg.495b33ae5b839241fc33a323a9161041.jpg

Those look awfully tough.  I'd err on longer SV.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

Eye round went on sale this past week.

IMG_0499.thumb.JPG.8c6257ad7ed06b22c825a5e812489da2.JPGIMG_0500.thumb.JPG.e2e7d6f71d46005c17d33584c4db68ae.JPGIMG_0501.thumb.JPG.e8d4d138843466c3053aa18af7ce74e5.JPGIMG_0502.thumb.JPG.835e78d8c0c4ee47eaeed4a5028e9aa9.JPG

I put the seasoned and vacu-packed roast in the fridge for 24 hours and put it in the bath this am. My plan is for 125 F for 24 hours, into the fridge overnight, then sliced thinly on the Globe slicer for RB sandwiches with mayo and horseradish.

HC

IMG_0508.thumb.JPG.a4724254db0fdc138ddf40dead08181a.JPG

• Like 4

I agree

I set it at 130.

Im hoping the RedBoat 40

will zoo a lot of discouraging to the Locals.

however , if something can survive 24h in the surface with RB40

and then 6 H at 130 F

its going to be pretty nasty !

suprise.gif

Edited by rotuts (log)

not a great pic .  no browning.

the steak did not end up as a ' dinner .  so did not get its final touches.

59a2bd83259f4_Sirloind1.thumb.jpg.86912ff0592527ebddc0f4264baf80c8.jpg

one day  in its original butcher paper , after the first photo to see what I was dealing with.

then RB40 on each side.  

personally I choose to consider exogenous NaCL   so I though 3 - 4 drops each side.

it was a bit more , just enough to ' fairly coat ' each side  w not puddles.

as you know RB40 is fairly funky.   then back into the same butcher paper , and into the refrig for another 24 hours.

unwrapped and vacuum bagged.   most of the RB40 absorbed.  damp , not wet.  not patted dry.

still some funky aromas  but moving more towards aged meat.

waterbath , 130  for 6 hours.

see above.

no fishy flavors at all.   moving towards that aged beef flavor.   

not fork tender .   not a hint of mushy-ness. not overly salty.  

Im sure this pice of meat would have improved  a bit for tenderness at 8 h if not 10.

and re: saltiness   it could have stood up to a more RB40 , and even maybe then 48 Hr in the refrig prior to SV

just a guess

remember this is choice and this cut is relatively tough.

my conclusions :

a little redboat40  does indeed add aged flavor , and all the fishy-ness is gone.

I can't say what the optimal amount would be , or how long one might refrigerate the meat w the RB40 prior to SV

but its the way Im going to do meat from now on.

sliced thin , and at room yep  this will make a very find couple of RB sandwiches.

so a success.

if this cut goes on sale again , Ill to 8 - 10 and might do 48 in the refrig warped after the RN40.

your thoughts on the best way to add RB40 to a thick steak prior to SV ?

remember this was 1 3/4 thick  and not Prime.

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 3

21 minutes ago, HungryChris said:

Eye round came out looking more medium than rare, but is amazingly tender and has a very good flavor.

T and T?

:)

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

1 hour ago, DiggingDogFarm said:

T and T?

Tender and tasty, indeed! :P

But, if it's time and temperature, it was 24 hours at 125 F. Then I reduced the cooking liquids in a screaming hot wok, added a bit of peanut oil and browned it on all sides and put in the fridge to cool.

HC

Edited by HungryChris (log)
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, HungryChris said:

But, if it's time and temperature, it was 24 hours at 125 F.

Yes, time and temperature.

Thanks! 

• Like 1

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

Pork steaks are ultra-cheap these days, and happen to be one of my darling's favorite cuts of meat. I decided to try a different approach than our usual breaded-and-baked method.  Inspired (or perhaps bedeviled) by a discussion about pork braised in Hatch chile verde sauce I put the steaks into a bag with a batch of mild Hatch chiles that had been roasted, peeled and chopped. The steaks sat in the bag, marinating in the chiles, for about 24 hours. I added a finely chopped onion and tossed the bag into a 65C bath for 2 hours.  Hmm.  It didn't seem to be tenderizing.  I gave it another 20 minutes, then decided that it was time to change tacks.

Out came an enameled cast iron gratin pan.  Over medium heat I melted butter, then threw in rice; when the rice had absorbed enough butter I threw the contents of the bag (chiles, onion, meat and juices) into the pan and put the lot into the oven in high heat. By "high heat" I mean a dither: first a broil, then a high roast, then back to the broil.  The exposed surfaces gained a lovely brown color. This was cooking on the fly.

All told, I think this wasn't an optimal way to treat pork steaks.  Our usual method of breading and baking them takes much less time and energy but yields a satisfying, albeit salty, result.  On the other hand, by the time this was dolled up with the roasted pepper salsa I also made, it was darned good.  And pretty.  And much less salty than our home breading. And a change of pace.*...

20170827_210815.jpg

...And maybe, actually, as tender.  We don't know to what degree the time of year contributes to pork tenderness; my darling asserts that we are now eating boars and sows instead of their progeny, and that the meat will inevitably be tougher. The only way I can think of to resolve the question is side-by-side testing of cooking methods.

Having written that this was a less efficient way to cook the meat, I may still try it again. It was good, and the leftovers will be good also.

*(Do you ever get tired of cooking a particular cut of meat the same way, every single time?  I do.)

• Like 5

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

8 hours ago, Smithy said:

*(Do you ever get tired of cooking a particular cut of meat the same way, every single time?  I do.)

Oh, yeah. 

My late wife, bless her, believed that there was One Perfect Way to cook any dish, and that a cook's task was to find that One Perfect Way and then never, *ever* deviate from it henceforward. My feeling, on the other hand (at least, when not in a professional kitchen) is that freewheeling and improvising is the fun part; and that leaving room for serendipity to strike is just good sense. As you can imagine, this led to some heated confrontations between us during meal prep. :P

• Like 4

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

7 minutes ago, chromedome said:

Oh, yeah. 

My late wife, bless her, believed that there was One Perfect Way to cook any dish, and that a cook's task was to find that One Perfect Way and then never, *ever* deviate from it henceforward.

You were married to Christopher Kimball?

• Haha 6

4 hours ago, gfweb said:

You were married to Christopher Kimball?

Except that every couple of years, he'd come up with a new One More-Perfecter Way to cook that dish!

• Like 1

MelissaH

Oswego, NY

Chemist, writer, hired gun

Say this five times fast: "A big blue bucket of blue blueberries."

foodblog1 | kitchen reno | foodblog2

17 hours ago, Smithy said:

Pork steaks are ultra-cheap these days, and happen to be one of my darling's favorite cuts of meat. I decided to try a different approach than our usual breaded-and-baked method.  Inspired (or perhaps bedeviled) by a discussion about pork braised in Hatch chile verde sauce I put the steaks into a bag with a batch of mild Hatch chiles that had been roasted, peeled and chopped. The steaks sat in the bag, marinating in the chiles, for about 24 hours. I added a finely chopped onion and tossed the bag into a 65C bath for 2 hours.  Hmm.  It didn't seem to be tenderizing.  I gave it another 20 minutes, then decided that it was time to change tacks.

I tend to do pork chops at 145F (62C)... still pink and juicy, but not chewy like 'raw' feeling.

when you say pork "steaks",, what part of the pig are we talking about?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, weedy said:

I tend to do pork chops at 145F (62C)... still pink and juicy, but not chewy like 'raw' feeling.

when you say pork "steaks",, what part of the pig are we talking about?

That's a good question.  Judging by the shape and the muscle structure, I think they're blade-cut steaks, from the shoulder.

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

I love fatty pork blade steaks cooked in the oven under the broiler until the fat is crispy from raw. I buy them about a half inch thick. They seem tender enough to me and oh so flavorful. I like salt, pepper and fresh rosemary on them before they go under the broiler. We get very good pork and cheaply around here, though. We are in a major producing state. I usually serve them with a baked sweet potato and greens of some kind. We are also the foremost producer of sweet potatoes in this country, but dwarfed by China's production.

• Like 1

> ^ . . ^ <

9 hours ago, Smithy said:

I think they're blade-cut steaks, from the shoulder.

Yeah, that's what they usually are around here.

Edited by DiggingDogFarm (log)

I am about to put a small sirloin steak into the sous vide bath and I'm going to throw caution to the wind and set the temperature to 50°C rather than my 54.5 usual choice. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

1 hour ago, Anna N said:

I am about to put a small sirloin steak into the sous vide bath and I'm going to throw caution to the wind and set the temperature to 50°C rather than my 54.5 usual choice. 

“All great thinkers are initially ridiculed – and eventually revered.”

Stay strong!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Eye of Round- at 131f for approximately 15hrs. 

Would probably go a bit longer next time, but it wasn't tough. No special preparations. At the first couple of slices with a microwaved poached egg. I'd have taken a picture but the egg exploded and didn't look good. 

In other news, I screwed up twice, once I somehow toggled the Anova off and it sat at a lethal temperature over night. The other, I left off the plastic wrap I normally use to trap the heat and moisture and too much water evaporated. 

Double checking is now part of my process, it gets expensive wasting meat

IMG_1844.JPG

IMG_1852.JPG

Edited by Topham (log)
  • Like 5