• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What Are You Cooking Sous Vide Today? (Part 3)

FrogPrincesse

Potatoes.

and I will dig an already sous-vided duck breast out of the freezer, toss it in to reheat and then sear it.  I have blanched  some rapini which I will sauté  if I can keep all these balls in the air!  

• Like 2

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

It's only taken several years - call me a slow learner - but last night I finally got a nice piece of beef fillet right with the Anova.

The turning point was a few successful experiments with the (non-SV) Serious Eats reverse sear technique and the realisation that Kenji was aiming for a pre-sear internal temperature well below what I'd been using in the water bath. So last night, with the Anova set to 45 degrees (C) I achieved steakly perfection at last.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Leslie Craven, aka "lesliec"
Host, eG Forumslcraven@egstaff.org

After a good dinner one can forgive anybody, even one's own relatives ~ Oscar Wilde

My eG Foodblog

eGullet Ethics Code signatory

7 hours ago, lesliec said:

It's only taken several years - call me a slow learner - but last night I finally got a nice piece of beef fillet right with the Anova.

The turning point was a few successful experiments with the (non-SV) Serious Eats reverse sear technique and the realisation that Kenji was aiming for a pre-sear internal temperature well below what I'd been using in the water bath. So last night, with the Anova set to 45 degrees (C) I achieved steakly perfection at last.

@lesliec Would you mind pointing me to that info, or elaborate yourself. Tx D

Just dug a small sirloin steak from my freezer and will give it one hour and 30 minutes at 54°C. 

• Like 1

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

On 20/08/2017 at 6:11 PM, Doofa said:

@lesliec Would you mind pointing me to that info, or elaborate yourself. Tx D

Here you go.

@Anna N - don't do it!  Try 45.

• Thanks 1

Leslie Craven, aka "lesliec"
Host, eG Forumslcraven@egstaff.org

After a good dinner one can forgive anybody, even one's own relatives ~ Oscar Wilde

My eG Foodblog

eGullet Ethics Code signatory

17 minutes ago, lesliec said:

@Anna N - don't do it!  Try 45

Too late! Maybe next time but it sounds like a cow with a fever rather than the cooking temperature for steak.xD

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

My 2004 eG Blog

On 8/15/2017 at 3:03 AM, rotuts said:

@gfweb 

any issues w the Asp. floating at those temps ?

I mention this as the YouTube   "  sousvide everything "  

just did alaskan cod  ( bag 1 ) and asp. ( bag 2 ) and the asp. floated.   

click the blue link to see their issues w Asp.

I don't recall. Might've.

2 hours ago, Paul Bacino said:

I did this Iberico Pork shoulder cut.. No finished dish pic  4hrs@140F

Ate straight up

36573869255_4f664f998f_o.thumb.jpg.2a5b6588c2b4a77066afc8bfe78e24db.jpg

Re: "....Ate straight up."  --   So would I have, my friend. So would I.

• Like 2

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

3 hours ago, weedy said:

Looks great.

from LaTienda? Fermin?

Yep..  La Tienda

They had a sale  , so I popped for 4/ about 1.5 lbs ea.  Not cheap but really tasty

Edited by Paul Bacino (log)
  • Like 2

Its good to have Morels

this is a Kansas City Sirloin Stirp :

KSS.thumb.jpg.15375ae7197cd9ec1c6dcba876061454.jpg

its choice and the best marbling I could find.   1 3/4 " thick , 1.25 lbs.

on sale , of course

I plan to SV it tomorrow.

Im guessing I should lightly salt it and place it on a very clean rack in the coldest part of the refit for 24.

Id like it rare SV , then a very quick sear

Badlwin suggests : med-rare  130 F  8 - 12.   I might even live in the DangerZone and do 128 F after the salt and pat dry then bag for 12.

your thoughts ?

I might also do , instead of the plain salt , a drop or two of RedBoat 40  evenly smeared on each side .

I know this cut , ' Choice ' Looks Better than it Eats.

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 3

12 minutes ago, rotuts said:

I think this cut is much tougher , although still  nice to look at , than ribeye

maybe 8 h after a 24 hour RB40 in the refrig.

I have not done a strip steak, but the Anova guide suggests 129F for one hour for medium rare for porterhouse, ribeye and strip steaks. Looking forward to hearing  your results.

Ill let you know

' Strip steaks ' are a sort of basket where all sorts of cuts can be sold as.

Ive had very good results w Baldwin's recommendations.

this is not a cut I look for , but it was Talking to Me  from the higher end real butcher counter.

Im hoping the RedBoat40  technique , which Ive yet to try , will give it a sort of aged taste.

someone needed a Treat.  for Science , or course !

it was after all , on sale .  not about to expire in the general packaged meat section on sale.

this place has better than average meat , both in the packaged section

they package their ' meat cuts ' in that section.  Beef and pork

not chicken.  that seems to come these days pack at a central but fairly local Chicken Spot

for obvious reasons.    

nobody at this store or any store w butchers cutting meat from primals

touches chicken.

anyway , an interesting project for me and Im looking forward to it.

• Like 1

I"m doing a NY Strip tonight (from D'Artagnan) at 132F for 2 hours.

my understanding, was that Kansas City Strip is virtually the same thing.

I would think 8 hours is way overkill, and risks becoming 'mushy'

• Like 2

Thanks for reminding me about the Red Boat on the steak. I am on the side of those who do not think that this cut is going to benefit from a long time in the sous vide bath so I shall be looking forward to your results.  

• Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog

A thick pork rib chop.  Leaning somewhat in the direction of @rotuts and @Shelby  and hoping I am not going to get a pig with a fever,  I will cook it for, give or take,? an hour at 57°C. 

And thanks  to inspiration from @weedy  I'm going to serve it with some creamed kale.

(OK. I'm good. A healthy pig's internal temperature is 38.5-39°C.  We are way above fever level.)

• Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog

Laid some ribeye steaks out to thaw this afternoon. Going to dry-brine them overnight, then SV tomorrow, then chill in the ice bath and refrigerate prior to grilling tomorrow night. (Son-in-law and daughter, the Philistines, require well-done steak; other daughter and I are good with rare/medium rare.) Recommendations on time/temp? These are grass-fed, and tend toward having a bit of chew. Not a lot of marbling.

I've not dry-brined before. Should I do that in the SV bag, or open air?

• Like 2

Don't ask. Eat it.

Thanks. They're sprinkled down with sea salt and on a rack in the fridge. Will get them out tomorrow.

Next qiestion. This is them. (Packages say ribeye, but damned if they don't look like strips to me.) Minimal marbling. I want rare in the SV, will sear to med. rare on grill (and, sigh, well done for two of them). Time/temp recommendations?

20170825_214337.thumb.jpg.495b33ae5b839241fc33a323a9161041.jpg

• Like 1

Don't ask. Eat it.