• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What Are You Cooking Sous Vide Today? (Part 3)

FrogPrincesse

Agreed. 

I also like my swordfish generally cooked through; Whereas most fish I prefer with a rare or nearly raw centre. 

I make a mexican smoked swordfish dip that I SV the fish for because I want it cooked through and then I'm going to mash it anyway. 

(Mixed with diced serranos and coriander and a little Mexican cream, then smoked with the Smoking Gun). 

I love mashed potatoes.

I sue russets and leave the skin on.

quite some time ago i kept cutting the potatoes * w skin on " smaller and smaller so they would cook faster and boiled them.

I realized I was making Potato Soup and the mash lacked that potato flavor.

so I boiled them whole .  but now I pressure steam the potatoes and mash them in the iPot

I have not cooked any veg SV.   no real reason , but probably to avoid 185 F      can't say why.

Ive been enjoying this video series :

"  SousVide Everything "

and bumped into this video :

yiikes !  even if its hot , I can do these potatoes outside , chill  and have them any time.

Im going to do exactly what they've done soon, but leave the skin on.   Ill even splurge for some higher end butter

cream and cream cheese !

steaks look pretty taste too.    I start out with rump   ( piranha  from the Brazilian butcher next town over )

maybe prime cap or prime skirts from Costco some day too.

Ill even rapidly chill and freeze the mashed p's, as they seem to do OK frozen

have you make SV Mashed potatoes ?  maybe even SV mashed sweet potatoes now that I have the idea 1

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Thanks 1

I had four gorgeous pork steaks from my farm beef/pork/chicken purveryor, and had been casting about for a way to prepare them. Contemplated grilling, but today's forecast was for rain, so I decided to go the sous vide/broiler route. Put them in yesterday with a dollop of Deep Run Roots' Blue Q sauce in each bag, and let them go 18 hours at 140F. Chilled them in the fridge for a couple of hours, then fished out of the bag, put them on a wire rack and brushed with some more Blue Q, and ran under the broiler. 

59877894b70e3_porksteaksuncooked0806.png.cd915faf893759c10debc479cf2f967d.png

These were about a pound apiece. One never made it to the oven. It's frozen in its SV bag.

Forgot about them and just slightly overcooked one side; I was content with the espresso-colored coat, but it was a bit much for the kids. Shown with one steak turned dark-side up, for contrast.

598778cf5eb2a_porksteak0806.jpg.cce867febc217fd3b36e40df2db80f0b.jpg

Had them with potato salad, purple hulled peas, sauteed crookneck squash and onions, and yeast rolls. Had a bit too light a hand with the salt on everything. Many leftovers, as my daughter and husband didn't make it for dinner.

5987791614886_dinner0806.jpg.fba254f51905c19b07a529efae899c72.jpg

• Like 7

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

The best laid plans…

I had planned on sous viding two duck breasts, two porkchops and a sirloin steak.  

When my Joule informed me that the duck breasts were done, I faced the reality of no ice!   No ice, no ice packs, nada.  My icemaker went belly up while I was away on vacation despite that I followed directions and turned it off.  

So I am chilling the breasts as best I can in running water and trust if I put them in the freezer immediately I will escape a horrible death from whatever nasties  might survive my chilling technique. 

The other meats were put into the freezer and will meet their fate  in the sous vide when I solve the ice problem.

If I had room in the freezer I could certainly make ice cubes but I don't. 

• Like 2

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

2 minutes ago, Okanagancook said:

@robirdstx OMG, fantastic looking steak.  Well done.  You, not the meat!  A nice thick steak makes all the difference.  Nice sear on it.:x

Thank you! It was a team effort. I did the sous vide part and my husband did the grill work. And then we split the result!

• Like 1
  • Delicious 1

On 8/11/2017 at 11:46 AM, Anna N said:

The best laid plans…

I had planned on sous viding two duck breasts, two porkchops and a sirloin steak.  

When my Joule informed me that the duck breasts were done, I faced the reality of no ice!   No ice, no ice packs, nada.  My icemaker went belly up while I was away on vacation despite that I followed directions and turned it off.  

So I am chilling the breasts as best I can in running water and trust if I put them in the freezer immediately I will escape a horrible death from whatever nasties  might survive my chilling technique. 

The other meats were put into the freezer and will meet their fate  in the sous vide when I solve the ice problem.

Was the sous vide treatment too brief to pasteurize the duck breasts?

Edited by Smithy
Clarity (log)

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

25 minutes ago, Smithy said:

Was the sous vide treatment too brief to pasteurize the duck breasts?

Have to tell you that I am not up to scratch on pasteurization.  I understand the concept and can even read the tables but do I trust any of it? Hmmm.  That's when my paranoia kicks in.  It would be very helpful if I could trust that meat can safely live in my fridge for as long as I see people here routinely assume it can.  :) 

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

On 8/12/2017 at 2:46 AM, Anna N said:

The best laid plans…

I suppose I'm a bit of a cowboy, but I reckon that the speed of chilling doesn't make much difference if the food is pasteurized. The idea is that there isn't much to grow even during the brief time in the danger zone during cool down. Even poultry shouldn't be a problem because the outside of the meat that is most likely to be contaminated will be at pasteurization temperature for the time it takes for the center to hit the done point and then any extra sitting time. I suppose if you are doing ground mince or poke the shit out of it to tenderize, then you want to be very sure your pasteurization time is long enough - even if you chuck the bag in the fridge the center will be what takes longest to chill. I don't have enough ice making capacity to crash-cool my sous vide bags so I just put them in cool water for a bit and then into the fridge.

It's almost never bad to feed someone.

1 hour ago, haresfur said:

I don't have enough ice making capacity to crash-cool my sous vide bags so I just

Thanks to the help of a friend and YouTube videos I now have ice!  Doesn't mean I shouldn't spend a bit more time trying to understand pasteurization so I can take advantage of its many benefits.  Thank you for sharing your experience. 

My 2004 eG Blog

On ‎7‎/‎31‎/‎2017 at 5:38 PM, rotuts said:

I have not cooked any veg SV.   no real reason , but probably to avoid 185 F      can't say why.

I'm a complete convert to SV asparagus. It comes out bright green and stays that way.

The only downside is waiting for the SV to get  that hot if you don't add hot water to start.

On ‎7‎/‎31‎/‎2017 at 5:38 PM, rotuts said:

• Like 2

1 hour ago, gfweb said:

I'm a complete convert to SV asparagus. It comes out bright green and stays that way.

The only downside is waiting for the SV to get  that hot if you don't add hot water to start.

Do you mean it stays green for service or does it still stay green if you toss it in the refrigerator for a few days?

• Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog

32 minutes ago, Anna N said:

Do you mean it stays green for service or does it still stay green if you toss it in the refrigerator for a few days?

Stays green for service.

I don't know about storage.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, gfweb said:

What time and temperature?

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

@gfweb

nice w the Asp's

its a bit late to study this now

it would be worthwhile to know if :

Asp's treated carefully

A)  blanched   or not

B) Bagged before cooking after  the above A

then Fz'n in an optimal state for SV reheating in the Winter ?

Nicew Id say

• Like 1

2 hours ago, gfweb said:

@JoNorvelleWalker 185F x 20 minutes with butter in the bag and a little salt.

074.thumb.jpg.d2b7c80e5e79b798d15102c3202d185b.jpg

Thanks!  I wonder about the color though.  It may be the lighting of the photograph but the spears look more yellow than green.  Was the color accurate?  I usually boil my spears for four to five minutes.

2 hours ago, gfweb said:

@JoNorvelleWalkerI remember them greener.

Experiments are in order.

For comparison here is a plate of boiled asparagus from the last time I cooked it:

https://forums.egullet.org/topic/155093-dinner-2017-part-5/?do=findComment&comment=2109033

• Like 1

@gfweb 

any issues w the Asp. floating at those temps ?

I mention this as the YouTube   "  sousvide everything "  

just did alaskan cod  ( bag 1 ) and asp. ( bag 2 ) and the asp. floated.   

click the blue link to see their issues w Asp.

Edited by rotuts (log)

Chocolate pots de crème

Chocolate pot de creme - sous vide

I went with the recipe from Joule rather than my trusted recipe and this was a mistake. My only change was to use crème fraiche instead of heavy cream, otherwise everything was per recipe.

This was very dense and way too rich to the point that nobody couldn't finish it.