• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What Are You Cooking Sous Vide Today? (Part 3)

FrogPrincesse

After @ElsieD mentioned the sous vide sausages last week, I took a package of brats from the freezer and cooked them direct from frozen @ 150°F/66°C for ~ 2.5 hrs. 

I didn't  have any beer so they went into the bag solo.   I finished one on the stovetop and put the rest into the fridge. 

The best part was reheating and browning those leftovers in the CSO at the same time I was thawing and baking one of the par-baked ciabatta rolls from TJ's.  I put the sausage on a piece of foil and put the roll directly on the rack next to it.  The rolls take ~ 12 min from frozen on steam-bake @ 425°F while the sausage sizzled and browned next to it.  Easy peasy.  Now I need more brats so I can try it with beer.  

• Like 2

@blue_dolphin 

consider a lower temp  for some sort of sausage you truly enjoy.

why ?

if you like a Steak ' of any cut '  at 130  until tender  

based on the toughness of the steak cut  ............

and you can sear etc

try sausage you really like at a much lower temp.

why ?  well they are ground up meat and therefore '' tender ""

then you char by what ever method you prefer.

its true that w SV sausage   the   ' jus ' stays in the casing  

but a lower temp , making sure you Pasteur-ize   , is worth a study.

the various sausages Ive SV'd in the past

Ive re-thermed     then torched

if there is a large gathering

you can take a 130 collection of sausages  and Blitz on the hottest grill you can imagine

and you would get The Best Sausage  you've ever imagined 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, blue_dolphin said:

After @ElsieD mentioned the sous vide sausages last week, I took a package of brats from the freezer and cooked them direct from frozen @ 150°F/66°C for ~ 2.5 hrs. 

I didn't  have any beer so they went into the bag solo.   I finished one on the stovetop and put the rest into the fridge. 

The best part was reheating and browning those leftovers in the CSO at the same time I was thawing and baking one of the par-baked ciabatta rolls from TJ's.  I put the sausage on a piece of foil and put the roll directly on the rack next to it.  The rolls take ~ 12 min from frozen on steam-bake @ 425°F while the sausage sizzled and browned next to it.  Easy peasy.  Now I need more brats so I can try it with beer.  

From Serious Eats on sous vide brats "The idea of simmering a bratwurst in beer is an appealing one, but how well does it really work? I tried adding various beers to the sealed bags as I cooked bratwurst sausages (I used a hop-heavy IPA, a light lager, and a fresh and fruity saison to cover all my bases), expecting the sausages to come out with extra flavor. Much to my surprise, I found the exact opposite to be the case: The sausages actually lost flavor as they cooked in beer. The problem is that even though beer has a few flavorful compounds, it's mostly water, which means that it ends up drawing salt and other compounds out of the sausages as they cook. Try to cook a sausage in beer, and instead of adding beer flavor to the sausage, you really wind up adding sausage flavor to the beer.

The solution? Heavily season the beer with salt as you add it to the bag. Adding salt to the beer helps to balance out the osmotic pressure on the sausages' cell walls, keeping what's inside them inside while also adding a small amount of beer flavor to the outer layers."

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Okanagancook said:

From Serious Eats on sous vide brats "The idea of simmering a bratwurst in beer is an appealing one, but how well does it really work? I tried adding various beers to the sealed bags as I cooked bratwurst sausages (I used a hop-heavy IPA, a light lager, and a fresh and fruity saison to cover all my bases), expecting the sausages to come out with extra flavor. Much to my surprise, I found the exact opposite to be the case: The sausages actually lost flavor as they cooked in beer. The problem is that even though beer has a few flavorful compounds, it's mostly water, which means that it ends up drawing salt and other compounds out of the sausages as they cook. Try to cook a sausage in beer, and instead of adding beer flavor to the sausage, you really wind up adding sausage flavor to the beer.

The solution? Heavily season the beer with salt as you add it to the bag. Adding salt to the beer helps to balance out the osmotic pressure on the sausages' cell walls, keeping what's inside them inside while also adding a small amount of beer flavor to the outer layers."

Yup. I'll salt the beer.

• Like 1

MelissaH

Oswego, NY

Chemist, writer, hired gun

Say this five times fast: "A big blue bucket of blue blueberries."

foodblog1 | kitchen reno | foodblog2

On 2017-07-22 at 0:26 PM, rotuts said:

i bumped into  "  Sous Vide Everything "  on YouTube

im enjoying there series

here is sausage :

Ive been doing Sv sausage for some time , but at a lower temp than 160 f

because Why Not /

mostly because I like to do SV in bulk then freeze.

this group does a number of tests of this and that

they did a butter test w steak

take a look if you have some time.

The butter test with picahna  is interesting.  I'm quite surprised at the conclusions reached. 

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

re: butter test :

Im wondering if w butter you taste butter + beef

beef alone may be what they are after

w eggs , when I scramble them w butter   I taste butter + eggs

eggs alone in a non stick pan are much more eggy in taste. 

I guessing in Brazil  its all about Beef  and more Beewf.

there are two Brazilian meat markets  ( small ) one town over

Im giong to look for that cut of beef and that circular sausage.

Brazilians also eat a lot of calf muscle      I think for soup

I might try that SV as Id bet its tough.

35 minutes ago, rotuts said:

re: butter test :

Im wondering if w butter you taste butter + beef

beef alone may be what they are after

w eggs , when I scramble them w butter   I taste butter + eggs

eggs alone in a non stick pan are much more eggy in taste. 

I guessing in Brazil  its all about Beef  and more Beewf.

there are two Brazilian meat markets  ( small ) one town over

Im giong to look for that cut of beef and that circular sausage.

Brazilians also eat a lot of calf muscle      I think for soup

I might try that SV as Id bet its tough.

It is all so very staged. The fact that they totally dissed chicken… Just saying.

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

1 minute ago, blue_dolphin said:

I was able to watch them this morning with Safari. No error messages.

Me too. 

• Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog

My experiments with butter, or oil, with beef or pork SV are inline with Kenji Lopez-Alt's conclusions ... all you end up with is meat flavoured butter. You're actually pulling flavour OUT. 

• Like 1

Yesterday I did pork loin chops again. I normally do them for 3 1/2 hour at 143 F.  I decided to try 9 hours at 143 F. Instead of them being more tender for the additional time they were dry. My DW couldn't eat her piece at all.  I will stick to my 3 1/2 hours in the future.

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

On 2/2/2017 at 0:02 AM, FrogPrincesse said:

Host's note: this delicious topic is continued from What Are You Cooking Sous Vide Today? (Part 2)

Duck breast, 57C for 90 min, pre and post sous-vide sear.

Sous vide duck breast : 57C for 90 min

So the texture was not significantly different from what I get with my usual technique, which is grilling over charcoal. But it's more uniformly pink, and there are no slightly overdone spots. I am pleased with the results even though searing in the house means a ton of smoke and duck fat everywhere!  :) (I did it on the stove in a cast iron skillet, next time I will place the skillet in the oven)

Delicious just by the look.

• Like 1

A grooved cast iron grilling pan works well. The grooves keep the skin above the fat, and you can even pour it out periodically (with great care) if you feel so inclined. 

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

First time doing salmon.  After reading about it at Serious Eats, I went with Kenji's favorite time/temp which is 115F for 45 mins to an hour.  I deemed my cuts to be thick...I think I was wrong about that.  I loved it, but I think Ronnie felt like they were a bit mushy.  Next time I will stop at 30 mins and up the temp a few degrees.

597c76585664e_photo268.JPG.710fb5db45fb3c4d272948765e55ba91.JPG

Finished picture on the dinner thread.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Shelby said:

First time doing salmon.  After reading about it at Serious Eats, I went with Kenji's favorite time/temp which is 115F for 45 mins to an hour.  I deemed my cuts to be thick...I think I was wrong about that.  I loved it, but I think Ronnie felt like they were a bit mushy.  Next time I will stop at 30 mins and up the temp a few degrees.

597c76585664e_photo268.JPG.710fb5db45fb3c4d272948765e55ba91.JPG

Finished picture on the dinner thread.

I did more or less the same thing last week, with a slightly higher temperature (122F, 45 minutes, based on the Joule app) and also ended up with slightly too mushy salmon.  I thought it tasted good, but I wasn't crazy about the texture.  My darling isn't a big salmon fan unless it's seared, and this was too tender to do anything but flake it after the water bath. I wondered whether it had to do with the texture of the raw salmon (already flaky when I removed the pin bones), or the variety (sockeye) and the time of year. The good news was that I got to eat the leftovers; the bad news was that it didn't do justice to that rather expensive fish.

• Like 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

4 minutes ago, Smithy said:

I did more or less the same thing last week, with a slightly higher temperature (122F, 45 minutes, based on the Joule app) and also ended up with slightly too mushy salmon.  I thought it tasted good, but I wasn't crazy about the texture.  My darling isn't a big salmon fan unless it's seared, and this was too tender to do anything but flake it after the water bath. I wondered whether it had to do with the texture of the raw salmon (already flaky when I removed the pin bones), or the variety (sockeye) and the time of year. The good news was that I got to eat the leftovers; the bad news was that it didn't do justice to that rather expensive fish.

Exactly.  Me too.  Mine was King salmon.  

What SV does well for salmon (if you LIKE that) is a kind of gelatinous creamy texture. 

If you want firm, stay together, texture I think you're better off just searing. 

Fish cooks so so quickly that the only reason to SV, in my opinion, is to get textures you can't otherwise get. 

Some peoole also prefer the texture of low temp, quick cooked , SV fish to totally raw when you finish with a fast sear. 

I'll sometimes do that for tuna. 

But generally, I'd rather cook fish in a pan, even though I'm a very big SV fan for many other things. 

• Like 5

@weedy  

""  

Fish cooks so so quickly that the only reason to SV, in my opinion, is to get textures you can't otherwise get. 

""

I completely agree.    especially w ' softer fish '   Id say Salmon is a soft fish  vs  swordfish which to me is firmer

they cook differently at lower temps.

• Like 1