• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What Are You Cooking Sous Vide Today? (Part 3)

FrogPrincesse

26 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

I did a smoked pork picnic shoulder the other day.   It is the first time I have done one sous vide and it is the  best one I've ever had.

Please tell us more.  Presmoked then sous vide?

On Metro's website they say they are food distributors for Que and Ont.  I cannot find a website for The Deli-Shop either. 

18 hrs at 145f suggests the pork is not cooked but smoked for awhile.  I could do that with the pork shoulder roasts I have in the freezer. 

3 hours ago, Okanagancook said:

I will have to look for these at the store.  Thanks.

Looks like Hertel's on Vancouver Island produces smoked pork shoulder:  http://www.hertelmeats.ca/products/smoked-picnic

Looks like they might not be available in the interior.

Edited by barolo
Add more info (log)
  • Like 1

Cheers,

Anne

35 minutes ago, barolo said:

Looks like Hertel's on Vancouver Island produces smoked pork shoulder:  http://www.hertelmeats.ca/products/smoked-picnic

Looks like they might not be available in the interior.

Not unless we came to pick it up!  We will smoke our own.  Maybe sous vide it and finish in the smoker.  I need to do some research.

Olymel is the company that makes these under the Le Petit Charcutier name and a second one under the Lafleur name.  They are a cured product and have been smoked but not cooked.  They remind me of ham.  

@barolo yes, it looks like Hertel's has them.

@kayb  I would love to come to Memphis for the BBQ, but the smoked shoulder you would be serving up is not the same as is.  Yummy though, I'm sure.

Looks more like a cured product.  Nice and juicy looking.

kinda looks like the cured smoked hams I get from our local butcher which need cooking so this is making sense now and I could see sous viding the hams we get would produce a juicy result.  Thanks.

18 hours ago, Okanagancook said:

I have not seen them in Western Canada.  Anyone else?

I used to buy them at Superstore in BC and Alberta, years ago. Sobeys usually has them as well. 

It's basically a ham, but from the shoulder rather than the hip. A nice little cut, though you don't get the big slices like you do with an actual ham. 

• Like 1

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

Lamb shoulder chops, 134 F for 12ish hours. They will get seared, chilled and then cubed to becme an addition to a Greek Tortellini Pasta Salad. Cool dinner on a warm night.

• Like 2

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

37 minutes ago, Porthos said:

Lamb shoulder chops, 134 F for 12ish hours. They will get seared, chilled and then cubed to becme an addition to a Greek Tortellini Pasta Salad. Cool dinner on a warm night.

Will be most curious to hear the results of the lamb shoulder chops.

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

The chops ended up going for 15 hours and that was fine with me. They were disappointingly tough. Instead of cubing the meat I end up slicing it about about 8 mm x 8mm by 3 mm thick . This can be chewed.

I think I will leave shoulder meat for stews.

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

I am finding the results with lamb shoulder chops quite baffling. I have often tossed them on the grill or in a skillet and they have turned out almost as good as rib or loin chops.  

• Like 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Yes, I think the variability is due to meat quality.  Would be interesting to take four chops and do two sous vide and two braised.

i have very tender lamb so I can always grill or sous vide mine at around 131f for 12 hours.

i bumped into  "  Sous Vide Everything "  on YouTube

im enjoying there series

here is sausage :

Ive been doing Sv sausage for some time , but at a lower temp than 160 f

because Why Not /

mostly because I like to do SV in bulk then freeze.

this group does a number of tests of this and that

they did a butter test w steak

take a look if you have some time.