• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What Are You Cooking Sous Vide Today? (Part 3)

FrogPrincesse

3 hours ago, rotuts said:

@daveb 

well , I would have picked a lower initial temp for the SV...

So would I,  But.  This was done for residents and families at a retirement center and they've got rules.  Lots of rules.  145 took some selling.  160 is norm.

The finished product had some pink but did not get a money shot.

Now 2morrow, for my Father's Day with Stepfather, we're going to dial down that Anova a bit.  He's already asked if I can cook a 4" New York Strip.  Can a bear chit in the woods???

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

I saw these nice-looking pork chops at Trader Joe's the other day (less than $10 for the pair). I cooked them a la Kenji, 60 min at 60C. Then I browned them in plenty of butter with thyme from the patio and garlic, and served with mashed potatoes and apricot coriander chutney. Very nice meal! :)

Sous vide pork chop from TJ's with mashed potatoes and apricot chutney

Edited by FrogPrincesse (log)
  • Like 13

On 2017-06-18 at 9:26 PM, FrogPrincesse said:

I saw these nice-looking pork chops at Trader Joe's the other day (less than $10 for the pair). I cooked them a la Kenji, 60 min at 60C. Then I browned them in plenty of butter with thyme from the patio and garlic, and served with mashed potatoes and apricot coriander chutney. Very nice meal! :)

Lovely looking chops.  We had chops too but no time for the bath just on the stove top.  Heritage pork from the Superstore here....very nicely marbled meat.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Okanagancook said:

Lovely looking chops.  We had chops too but no time for the bath just on the stove top.  Heritage pork from the Superstore here....very nicely marbled meat.

Thanks! Mine were cheapo non-heritage pork so they really benefited from the sous-vide treatment. Juicy and tender, even as leftovers the next day. Before the sous vide I was always nervous about cooking pork because it tended to be disappointing. Not anymore! 

• Like 7

4 hours ago, FrogPrincesse said:

Before the sous vide I was always nervous about cooking pork because it tended to be disappointing. Not anymore! 

It's hard for me to think of anything that improved more than pork once I learned to Sous Vide It.  And as a bonus it is almost always a bargain compared to most proteins.  Even pork loin, which I considered only one notch above beef eye of round, is worth buying.

• Like 5

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

I agreee

generic pork improves a great deal . esp. once you start to lower the temp and try it rare.

pasteurized , tender , but rare.

sliced thinly for a sandwich the next day ?

nice !

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Okanagancook said:

I didn't know Superstore carried heritage pork.  I'll have to check it out.  I normally shop at Loblaws and haven't seen it there but maybe I wasn't looking hard enough.

Because of the current heat wave I have put some chicken breasts in the SV bath. They will get cubed and become chicken pasta salad for dinner. Can you say "Cold food for a hot day."

• Like 4

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

Is there any reason why, if I want to cook say a frozen chicken thighs sous vide, that I can't drop it into the pot at the start off the process, i.e. while the water is heating up to the desired temperature?  Can this be done with other cuts of meat?  I guess I'm talking about items that are not overly time sensitive.

1 hour ago, ElsieD said:

Is there any reason why, if I want to cook say a frozen chicken thighs sous vide, that I can't drop it into the pot at the start off the process, i.e. while the water is heating up to the desired temperature?  Can this be done with other cuts of meat?  I guess I'm talking about items that are not overly time sensitive.

I do that a lot and I'm still breathing :)  

• Like 3

16 hours ago, Porthos said:

Because of the current heat wave I have put some chicken breasts in the SV bath. They will get cubed and become chicken pasta salad for dinner. Can you say "Cold food for a hot day."

Chicken breasts cooked this way, cubed and turned into a salad - with or without pasta - have become a favorite for me. Thanks to sous vide, boneless/skinless chicken breasts have new potential.

• Like 3

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Belated Father's Day.  For Stepfather and I guess I qualify.  Question was asked "Can I cook a 4" thick New York Strip?  Dropped the thick one into 128F bath 3 hours out, 2 mid size (2") two hours out.  Bottom right is sister, likes it medium (I think she was adopted), left it on for longer sear and let it rest.  

20170619_164757.thumb.jpg.50e910bf1eb9f318b7623c9934d301f4.jpg

Mom wanted salad.  I wanted easy.  We met.

20170619_165710.thumb.jpg.0bd5bd3744b97f478f09b5ec03baa743.jpg

• Like 8

On 2017-06-22 at 7:11 AM, ElsieD said:

I didn't know Superstore carried heritage pork.  I'll have to check it out.  I normally shop at Loblaws and haven't seen it there but maybe I wasn't looking hard enough.

The ones in Penticton are from a Lethbridge farm so maybe you will not find them in Ontario .  It has a black label if that helps.

We had dear friends down from near Gilroy. Like my DW, D has had gastric bypass surgery and, like many other GB surgery patients, she has trouble with white-meat chicken and pork loin easily being too dry to eat. They know that I started SVing a year ago. While we were enjoying a meal out yesterday I told them the success I was having doing pork loin chops SV. It was decided that dinner at our house tonight would be SVed pork loin chops. I went to the supermarket this morning and picked out some about 1 1/4" thick chops and started them marinating in Lawry's  Herb and Garlic Marinade. I cooked them for 2 1/4 hours at 143 F, then seared them in a CI skillet. The chops were very enthusiastically received. The husband, M, is a very good cook (I feel he is a better cook than I am) so they are not pushovers.

On a side note, for this meal I started some risotto in my 3 qt saucier and had M take over while I attended other cooking chores. He makes risotto on a reasonably regular basis. He liked making the risotto in the saucier so much he is going to get one.

• Like 3

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

Happened upon some good-looking baby back ribs at Sams, three racks to a package, for $2.89 a pound, so I impulsively determined it'd be ribs for the Fourth. They are at present burbling along in the SV, 145 F for what will wind up being about 40 hours, then I'll stash them in the fridge until I'm ready to grill them with a nice glaze. Might use my Vivian Howard Blue Q sauce. No clue who all will be here,, so whatever we don't need, we'll just freeze until we do.

• Like 2

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

On 6/25/2017 at 4:07 PM, Okanagancook said:

The ones in Penticton are from a Lethbridge farm so maybe you will not find them in Ontario .  It has a black label if that helps.

I checked out Loblaws and the meat guy said "What's heritage pork?" O.o

@Captain  

nice

very nice.

now I don't mean to be rude ...........

why do you leave the green bits on the tops of you carrots /

I know its trendy

but do you eat them ?

do they add flavor ?

or just to show you didn't get the carrots from\\

WalMart ?

which night be enough

53 minutes ago, Okanagancook said:

My condolences, sheesh.  It's hard to get good help these days.

Yeah, I know.  Contrast that with today.  I went to T & T, an Asian store as they were advertising Angus Beef Chuck roll roasts.  They cut me three of them and the guy practically wouldn't release them to me until I promised not to overcook them.  He kept on telling me how good, tender, well marbled (true) they are and if I overcook them bad things will happen to a lovely piece of meat and did I know it was almost as good as rib eye.  Etc., etc.  I'll bet HE knows what heritage pork is.

By they way, I have one roast in the bath at 133F.  I plan on cooking it 48 hours.  Is that about right?  I don't have any experience cooking these roasts sous vide.

• Like 3

23 hours ago, rotuts said:

@Captain  

nice

very nice.

now I don't mean to be rude ...........

why do you leave the green bits on the tops of you carrots /

I know its trendy

but do you eat them ?

do they add flavor ?

or just to show you didn't get the carrots from\\

WalMart ?

which night be enough

G'Day @rotuts  Yes, I left the tops on just to be a little flashy.  I think all the have to offer is added colour to the plate and perhaps an appearance of freshness.

No such thing as WallMart in Australia.

Cheers

Captain.

• Like 2