• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

streem26

streem26

A couple of days ago, I got a venison shoulder from a friend, and rubbed it down with garlic, rosemary, and salt, and put it in a Foodsaver bag, and let it marinate 6 hours, before setting it in my sous vide for 12 hours at 135°, before smoking it for 4 hours. I took it to my friend's house yesterday, and everyone loved it, though it could have stayed in there longer - some sites had it being in the sous vide for 24 hours, so I'll try that next time. The very center, while it was fairly tender, it could have used more cooking, or cut thinner.

My friend made a batch of dal as a filler - his Mom is Indian, so he's half Indian, and likes to cook. I made a sauce that I took over - a simple tomatillo sauce, which is just a small clove of garlic (I almost never say that!) to 2 c grilled tomatillos, plus toasted chile de árbols to taste (the original recipe called for 9, but I only put 4 Thai peppers, which was still quite hot. 

streem26

streem26

A couple of days ago, I got a venison shoulder from a friend, and rubbed it down with garlic, rosemary, and salt, and put it in a Foodsaver bag, and let it marinate 6 hours, before setting it in my sous vide for 12 hours at 135°, before smoking it for 4 hours. I took it to my friend's house yesterday, and everyone loved it, though it could have stayed in there longer - some sites had it being in the sous vide for 24 hours, so I'll try that next time. The very center, while it was fairly tender, it could have used more cooking, or cut thinner.

My friend made a batch of dal as a filler - his Mom is Indian, so he's half Indian, and likes to cook. I made a sauce that I took over - a simple tomatillo sauce, which is just a small clove of garlic (I almost never say that!) to 2 c grilled tomatillos, plus toasted chile de árbols to taste (the original recipe called for 9, but I only put 4 Thai peppers, which was still quite hot.