• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

JoNorvelleWalker

JoNorvelleWalker

Not "what I've cooked sous vide today" exactly, but what I cooked sous vide that I hope to eat tonight.  I have a bunch of pasteurized chicken thighs in the back of the refrigerator.  I plan to make chicken cacciatore.  If using fresh chicken thighs my first step would be to brown the chicken pieces in a pan with a bit of hot olive oil.

When using previously cooked thighs for chicken cacciatore I typically unbag the thighs, wipe them down with paper towels, and then either attempt to brown the pieces in a pan or broil them in the APO.  The pan method is messy but both methods usually lead to an eatable result.  The problem is the browning is never all that great.

With that prolog out of the way, what is the best technique for browning the skin on sous vide chicken thighs?  Please don't suggest a torch, an outdoors grill, or Ooni oven.  Thanks.

Edit:  or a tandoor

JoNorvelleWalker

JoNorvelleWalker

Not "what I've cooked sous vide today" exactly, but what I cooked sous vide that I hope to eat tonight.  I have a bunch of pasteurized chicken thighs in the back of the refrigerator.  I plan to make chicken cacciatore.  If using fresh chicken thighs my first step would be to brown the chicken pieces in a pan with a bit of hot olive oil.

When using previously cooked thighs for chicken cacciatore I typically unbag the thighs, wipe them down with paper towels, and then either attempt to brown the pieces in a pan or broil them in the APO.  The pan method is messy but both methods usually lead to an eatable result.  The problem is the browning is never all that great.

With that prolog out of the way, what is the best technique for browning the skin on sous vide chicken thighs?  Please don't suggest a torch, an outdoors grill, or Ooni oven.  Thanks.