• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

lemniscate

lemniscate

37 minutes ago, TdeV said:

@lemniscate, could you please give a few more instructions about the source of your searches. Also, could you discuss the texture of the "other" items which could go in the terrine. I'm thinking in addition to chile peppers and asparagus, perhaps celery, carrots (do they need pre-cooking?). I've been dreaming of chicken breast terrine on freshly made bread!

Well, the searches were just "chicken terrine"  and "sous vide terrine".  Standard Google search, nothing special and just sifted through the results.

The asparagus was already cooked and frozen, so it was pretty mushy to start.  It essentially disappeared into a green layer.  I would think starting out with fresh blanched stalks would give the pretty green circles instead of my results.  The peppers were pre-roasted, so they were tender to begin with.   The terrine ingredients for mine were kind of a "clean out the fridge/freezer" of bits and bots waiting for a use.   That's also where the ham and sausage layers came from.

The fresh basil just disappeared into the terrine, I really can't tell where it was.

65C is probably not enough to cook carrots to a texture that would be good for a terrine.  Sous vide carrots are cooked at 90C.  So if you want to add carrots, I would advise pre-cooked.   I would think the same with celery.

I would add more pistachios to the next version for mine because I think that really went well with the chicken, and add cracked black pepper into the layers.   I just added it on top and it did nothing flavor-wise.

I think these layers terrines are license to get creative and use up some stuff too good to trash.

Here's a picture of more of the slices. (some of them look like faces to me 😀)

EDIT:  I did pound the chicken breasts flat to help getting a consistent thickness.

Screen Shot 2019-08-23 at 11.50.25 AM.png

lemniscate

lemniscate

15 minutes ago, TdeV said:

@lemniscate, could you please give a few more instructions about the source of your searches. Also, could you discuss the texture of the "other" items which could go in the terrine. I'm thinking in addition to chile peppers and asparagus, perhaps celery, carrots (do they need pre-cooking?). I've been dreaming of chicken breast terrine on freshly made bread!

Well, the searches were just "chicken terrine"  and "sous vide terrine".  Standard Google search, nothing special and just sifted through the results.

The asparagus was already cooked and frozen, so it was pretty mushy to start.  It essentially disappeared into a green layer.  I would think starting out with fresh blanched stalks would give the pretty green circles instead of my results.  The peppers were pre-roasted, so they were tender to begin with.   The terrine ingredients for mine were kind of a "clean out the fridge/freezer" of bits and bots waiting for a use.   That's also where the ham and sausage layers came from.

The fresh basil just disappeared into the terrine, I really can't tell where it was.

65C is probably not enough to cook carrots to a texture that would be good for a terrine.  Sous vide carrots are cooked at 90C.  So if you want to add carrots, I would advise pre-cooked.   I would think the same with celery.

I would add more pistachios to the next version for mine because I think that really went well with the chicken, and add cracked black pepper into the layers.   I just added it on top and it did nothing flavor-wise.

I think these layers terrines are license to get creative and use up some stuff too good to trash.

Here's a picture of more of the slices. (some of them look like faces to me 😀)

Screen Shot 2019-08-23 at 11.50.25 AM.png