• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

chord

chord

I have a sous vide question, and I hope this is a good place to ask it.

Yesterday, I cooked a chicken leg quarter SV from frozen for 2 hours @ 160 F. When I took the chicken out of the water, the juices inside were blood-red (see picture). I know that this is myoglobin and the chicken tasted just fine. However, I was wondering why this happened as I've never seen it before. I've cooked other leg quarters SV as well, and in fact, some of the other quarters were from the exact same package as this one. I believe I cooked those other quarters at slightly higher temps (165 F instead of 160 F). Also, this quarter was in the freezer for about four months prior to cooking.

IMG_1005.thumb.jpg.15f2ef5ff49de9858dfa1106573d4df5.jpg

Any idea why the juices turned red? Cooking temp? Freezer storage? Happenstance?

chord

chord

I have a sous vide question, and I hope this is a good place to ask it.

Yesterday, I cooked a chicken leg quarter SV from frozen for 2 hours @ 160 F. When I took the chicken out of the water, the juices inside were blood-red (see picture). I know that this is just myoglobin and the chicken tasted just fine. However, I was wondering why this happened as I've never seen it before. I've cooked other leg quarters SV as well, and in fact, some of the other quarters were from the exact same package as this one. I believe I cooked those other quarters at slightly higher temps (165 F instead of 160 F). Also, this quarter was in the freezer for about four months prior to cooking.

IMG_1005.thumb.jpg.15f2ef5ff49de9858dfa1106573d4df5.jpg

Any idea why the juices turned red? Cooking temp? Freezer storage? Happenstance?