• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Robenco15

Robenco15

There is nothing wrong with using a hair dryer (on Cool) to remove moisture from food, like a chicken. Probably should use a dedicated hair dryer, but regardless, it is a great technique. 

I can’t be the only person who has read this - https://www.newyorker.com/culture/annals-of-gastronomy/yes-i-use-a-hair-dryer-to-make-roast-chicken

It is completely valid. Hell, Anthony Bourdain was an early advocate. The major takeaway from that recipe though is the incremental method of cooking the chicken. I’ve done it twice, sans hair dryer as I was able to allow the chicken to sit in the fridge long enough the first time and the second time I realized I had no idea where my wife keeps her hair dryer. That incremental method of cooking the chicken yields amazing results. Truly worth doing. Maybe not every time, but definitely from time to time. 

And use a hair dryer! Don’t be afraid!

edit: As this pertains to Sous Vide cooked meat, I wouldn’t worry about moisture past blotting it with paper towels. The way you sear it is more important. I agree with that assessment. Throwing it in the freezer for 5-10 minutes before searing will protect against overcooking during the sear too. Apologize if my hair dryer rant was a bit off topic given this thread is specifically aimed at sous vide cooking. Just can’t help myself when hair dryers are brought up I guess!

Robenco15

Robenco15

There is nothing wrong with using a hair dryer (on Cool) to remove moisture from food, like a chicken. Probably should use a dedicated hair dryer, but regardless, it is a great technique. 

I can’t be the only person who has read this - https://www.newyorker.com/culture/annals-of-gastronomy/yes-i-use-a-hair-dryer-to-make-roast-chicken

It is completely valid. Hell, Anthony Bourdain was an early advocate. The major takeaway from that recipe though is the incremental method of cooking the chicken. I’ve done it twice, sans hair dryer as I was able to allow the chicken to sit in the fridge long enough the first time and the second time I realized I had no idea where my wife keeps her hair dryer. That incremental method of cooking the chicken yields amazing results. Truly worth doing. Maybe not every time, but definitely from time to time. 

edit: As this pertains to Sous Vide cooked meat, I wouldn’t worry about moisture past blotting it with paper towels. The way you sear it is more important. I agree with that assessment. Throwing it in the freezer for 5-10 minutes before searing will protect against overcooking during the sear too. Apologize if my hair dryer rant was a bit off topic given it was specifically aimed at sous vide cooking. Just can’t help myself when hair dryers are brought up I guess!

Robenco15

Robenco15

Robenco15

Robenco15

There is nothing wrong with using a hair dryer to remove moisture from food, like a chicken. Probably should use a dedicated hair dryer, but regardless, it is a great technique.