• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

iggiggiggy

iggiggiggy

clarification: 'ribeye' cap steak, which is ribeye deckle

1 hour ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

The local Shoprite is now selling Angus Prime brand beef, beef that is labeled USDA Prime.  I took home a nice looking ribeye.  Since I don't typically consume a whole steak in one sitting I dissected off the deckle.  Both portions are now bagged.

My question:  what temperature is optimum for deckle?

I recently did this with ribeye cap-only prime steaks from costco.

It depends--I like medium rare towards rare, so because these things are so good as-is, I did a simple 54C  for 60-90m give or take.

Shown here--hope this is not too red for you? But ohmigosh so tender and juicy..

(served with 85C fingerlings+carrots and a port-infused demi-glace sauce. Toppings are just Texas Toothpicks--yum yum)

cap-steak.thumb.jpeg.684c87db8c12767ccb7d56f499099217.jpeg

iggiggiggy

iggiggiggy

46 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

The local Shoprite is now selling Angus Prime brand beef, beef that is labeled USDA Prime.  I took home a nice looking ribeye.  Since I don't typically consume a whole steak in one sitting I dissected off the deckle.  Both portions are now bagged.

My question:  what temperature is optimum for deckle?

I recently did this with cap-only prime steaks from costco.

It depends--I like medium rare towards rare, so because these things are so good as-is, I did a simple 54C  for 60-90m give or take.

Shown here--hope this is not too red for you? But ohmigosh so tender and juicy..

(served with 85C fingerlings+carrots and a port-infused demi-glace sauce. Toppings are just Texas Toothpicks--yum yum)

cap-steak.thumb.jpeg.684c87db8c12767ccb7d56f499099217.jpeg