• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Shelby

Shelby

5 minutes ago, Kim Shook said:

Thank you all so much.  Hoping it thaws in time for me to do it tomorrow.  Any reason not to add some onions and garlic?

I'm a bit late but I'll chime in :)

I do that exact same size of pork loin --give or take 1/2 a pound-- at 135F for 2 1/2 hours.  Done it many times.  SO tender, juicy and good.  I would not add fresh onions.  They will not cook down.  I would season the loin with garlic powder...onion powder...salt and pepper.  Add a pat of butter if you want to  sear your loin after it's done in a cast iron skillet.  You don't have to do that, of course.  It's good either way.

Also, it will be thawed enough, but I throw meat in when I start the SV machine and it's always been just fine.  If it's frozen solid I add another 30 mins.  Yours will be thawed though.  Don't be nervous.  This is easy as pie and SO good.

Shelby

Shelby

2 minutes ago, Kim Shook said:

Thank you all so much.  Hoping it thaws in time for me to do it tomorrow.  Any reason not to add some onions and garlic?

I'm a bit late but I'll chime in :)

I do that exact same size of pork loin --give or take 1/2 a pound-- at 135F for 2 1/2 hours.  Done it many times.  SO tender, juicy and good.  I would not add fresh onions.  They will not cook down.  I would season the loin with garlic powder...onion powder...salt and pepper.  Add a pat of butter if you want to  sear your loin after it's done in a cast iron skillet.  You don't have to do that, of course.  It's good either way.